Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed, Speed, Speed

kdj

I agree with Skywalker's statement. When I started on IPSC competition last year, among the first tips i got was to look at the front sight and move fast, not necessarily in that order. except for my last two matches, all the rest crashed and burned.

Then...

I paused, took stock of what I have.

Realized and accepted that I lack the fundamentals

I shot the last two matches devoid of any desire except to shoot, plain and simple

As a result, I placed 28th out of 57 in a level II match. I'm normally place 5th-8th to the last

Last weekend, I placed 10th out of 29 shooters. These are really nothing compared to everything else. But to me, its significant.

Bottomline, I'm convinced to absorb the fundamentals first, and pick up speed along the way. B)

It's very easy to get caught up on some outlandish goal and lose sight of the fundamentals. After 6+ years of shooting I plan on going back to the basics, taking a hard look at my fundamentals, and verifying that those skills are healthy before moving on with my training program. It's all part of the evolving technique.

It's very easy to get caught up on some outlandish goal and lose sight of the fundamentals. After 6+ years of shooting I plan on going back to the basics, taking a hard look at my fundamentals, and verifying that those skills are healthy before moving on with my training program. It's all part of the evolving technique.

As Ron A. pointed out in another thread, switching guns/divisions seems to make a shooter re-focus on fundamentals.

I did something interesting at the last match.

I sat down and programmed the stage in my mind. I decided I could do the stage quickly.

At the buzzer I got up from the chair and begin going quickly.

The end result was 3 mikes but my time was close to a half second faster than the master class shooter.

Hmmmm. I learned some stuff on that stage.

1. Really program the stage.

2. Mentally shoot the stage before signalling ready.

3. Move quickly.

If:

4. Slow down just a tad to call your shots.

5. I might be moving up a class soon.

Sometimes it is good to push yourself on a stage to help get over a hurdle.

Speed will win some easy matches but real matches are won on the points.

1. Really program the stage.

2. Mentally shoot the stage before signalling ready.

Very true. In my experience, it makes me more deliberate and relaxed as a shoot. Like computer program executing the scripts as it was written...although my processor is still slow :P

push yourself in practice till you crash and burn then slow down a bit. in matches dont push too much. trust your speed and call the shots, the speed will follow.

when i was beginning in this sport, when i push myself i usually get mikes, now when i push myself i get a d. this means i still would like the sites to dictate everything not accepting that the sites are not pointed at the target. but waiting till it gets to the target before i press the trigger.

That's what i love about IPSC. Speed, Power and Accuracy.

It all boils down on how soon you can get to the shooting and how fast you can shoot the A's.

How you do it, how you get there, make sure you have a blast of a good time!

B)

Eye Cutter,

You said it. The hunt is more exciting than the kill :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
The best shooters are the best shooters simply because they realize everything always stems back to the fundamentals. And they always focus on them.

Right. Especially as stress increases.

Define your goal first. Do you want to win your class, win the match, beat everyone at the match but two or three guys, shoot a certain percentage of the winner, or shoot the best total factor/score you can possibly shoot?

Say your goal is to shoot the best match you can shoot. (And not necessarily just at the match you're at, but as a long-term goal.) This now determines how and what you practice; until you've mastered experimenting in practice, it's counterproductive to experiment (too much) in matches.

Set up a practice stage that represents a likely match scenario. Shoot the stage several times and establish a baseline time with 95%+ points. Now experiment with how you see in order to decrease your time without losing 95%+ points. Do you remember seeing the upcoming A box (on each target) before the sights get there? Are you confident of each shot's location as the shot fired? If not, you'll never move as quickly as you can to the next target. Think of and experiment with more ways to increase your speed without decreasing (or even increasing) your points.

A fast time with misses is silly.

A slow time with good points is a slow time with good points.

Learn to trim time without sacrificing points.

Points are your friend, but don't obsess over them. After all - 95%+ is all you need.

Once you can shoot 95%, don't keep repeating the same thing - learn to do that more efficiently.

You can do it only if you can imagine it.

Once you learn to read the sights - no matter how they're misaligned at any speed - push till you "use up the A box" with 95% of your shots.

be

Once you learn to read the sights - no matter how they're misaligned at any speed - push till you "use up the A box" with 95% of your shots.

you mean: "... with 95% of your points", right? Or with 75% of your shots (assuming 25% C hits).

Huge difference...

--Detlef

• 1 month later...
Bottom line: if you can score points, you can learn to do it fast, but if you are fast, it's very unlikely you'll learn to score points while shooting at warp speed.

I think you are wrong. I actually get driven nutz by the shooters that are purely accuracy driven and would rather have a student who isn't afraid to just throw rounds down range (safely).

Control can be learned, speed seems the hard one for most people esp. former shooters of some type of accuracy discipline. They need to much information to fire the shot.

Matt,

I'll gladly stand corrected if in your classes that's the impression you've got.

My impression was that, for what I have been able to see, it's easier for an accuracy-driven guy to learn how to improve his movements (thus shaving time) and re-learn what's the acceptable visual input to break the shot, than for a speed-driven guy to learn to actually shoot accurately while still going at full speed.

But, as I said, I'll gladly stand corrected: this means there is still hope for me, after all :) .

I'm one of the guys who started with no speed or accuracy, got the accuracy then got the speed and then lost the accuracy....

Now I either need to slow down a bit and shot accurately again (which hasn't worked yet) or still go at my current speed and just learn to shoot accurately again.

I'm currently on the last option since, as it seems with most, I shoot slower in matches than in practice....

Matt,

I'll gladly stand corrected if in your classes that's the impression you've got.

My impression was that, for what I have been able to see, it's easier for an accuracy-driven guy to learn how to improve his movements (thus shaving time) and re-learn what's the acceptable visual input to break the shot, than for a speed-driven guy to learn to actually shoot accurately while still going at full speed.

But, as I said, I'll gladly stand corrected: this means there is still hope for me, after all :) .

Skywalker,

Doesn't it remind you the discussion we had some time ago about Speed vs. Accuracy? I think we agreed on the notion that if one can shoot 95% of the score from his speed comfort zone, then it might be the time to speed up somewhat and then bring the accuracy back to 95% or whatever one considers an acceptable level. I thought it makes perfect sense and doesn't really contradict either approaches - speed-first, or accuracy-first.

What I especially like about this is that I don't have to decide which one is more important - speed or accuracy. IMHO, saying that one is more important than the other can bring a limitation to ones progress.

I think you are wrong. I actually get driven nutz by the shooters that are purely accuracy driven and would rather have a student who isn't afraid to just throw rounds down range (safely).

I've taken two classes, one from Matt and one from Mike. Both of their *evil* spirits now sit on my shoulder telling me to shoot faster during stages.

*IF* I actually ever get to shoot again in this damned lifetime, I plan on losing those two post haste :wub:

let me see here!!!!

i think it went something like this!

-we crawled

-we walked

-we ran

its simple!

keep shooting faster ( crawl, walk, run) till you get it right.

eventually, your runnin full speed (shooting) all the time.

dont be afraid to push it.