Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best press auto drive?

amante

There are 2 auto drives I have been studying for the dillon 650 and the 1050. The first is the ponsness warren which is a linkage arm to a 900 or a 950 rpm motor depending on caliber, and it has a mounting bracket and is set up with a foot pedal as well to autodrive the press which can also be reverted back to the handle. runs about 950.00 or so.

The other is a new addition since about a year ago from what I gather and its from Forcht machine. Both were impressive on youtube, but the forcht site says that with the chaindrive its quieter, smoother, less moving parts and does not have the issues that the other does such as the linkage arm breaking which shuts it down for an hour repairing things. It also has adjustment capabilities it says the ponsness is not capable of.

That cost is about 800 for the unit if you have the ponsness stuff and 1200 if you dont and they make the brackets etc. so the costs are not really that far apart. he says he can tie in the primer, powder, etc alarm to the control switch box etc so it shuts off on the spot. Im leaning toward the chain drive and would like to know if anyone has these and what they think of them.

• I had a PW auto drive and did not like it on my 1050 or my PW shotgun press. I am considering the chain drive unit. The PW unit is very noisy and the chain drive unit is much more quiet. The chain drive appears to be smoothr in operation also.

Yeah, I got an email from brian enos saying the same thing, and that the warranty is void if using one. Ill be getting the 650 to start and go from there awhile and keep the 1050 in mind for later and still consider an auto drive after working with the 1050 for awhile first and am leaning toward the chaindrive if I do which there is a video on my best autodrive question posting.

However, the autodrives are fascinating and I do like to do my research in advance and understand the whole picture overall. Especially after the whole gun control issue which caused all this scarcity and uncertainty there is really no time to waste and delay knowledge as its time consuming and mind boogling to learn all of this stuff from scratch.

Knowing what I need to get and getting it while I still can for the future is a wise thing to do. otherwise if I wait its too late and its gone or double the price. the dems will still stop at nothing and if you snooze you could lose. too bad but thats the way it is now.

The 1050 only has a 1 year warranty any way. You most certainly void any warranty with the Forcht rotary conversion as you have to cut up the frame on the 1050 for it to work. I have only setup 1 PW auto drive but we just received 3 of the Forcht drives from Craig last week.

The plan is to use 3 phase gear motors and a VFD to be able to adjust speed without having to take anything apart. The dwel of the PW unit doesn't exist on a rotary conversion so if you want to auto drive and trim you would want to slow it down a bit.

If you are worried about everything going away or getting too expensive to buy down the road you need to get all of the powder and primers you can afford, once no one has them any more presses will only be worth scrap metal prices. Wouldn't hold my breath on that one though.

thanks for the link to that forum, it had a lot of info. yeah, I plan to buy a lot of powder and primers and the rest, as well as have off grid capability and buying an extra backup place in the country. I will be establishing backup post crash business sidelines, as my main home and business in the city may not weather thru it.

A progressive reloader is an extra backup business option I want to have. the bullets will function as money, trade and be a service to other patriot types as well when its not available.

(Its not even readily available now and we havent even had a crash yet.)

Your links are amazing and I think must be the most advanced auto drive stuff Ive seen yet. The display screen was something ive never seen either and the link of the diferent parts of the press combined together to the display for shutoffs of the machine from any malfunction is great. the VFD site was informative, but I was lost once I got there as it was over my head as Im not familiar with any of it ,but Im sure it must be needed for the regulation of speed for the trimming mentioned.

Is this something you can put together for sale?

If your a doomsday prepper just buying a bunch of ammo would be a better idea. A lot less hassle to "bug out" with a bunch of ammo than keep track of all the components and lug a press around.

An auto drive will also be a thumbs down once you go "off grid" for a while as the oxygenated gas they have use uses these days will go bad in short order and your generator will be useless.

I can't get 500 rounds done while loading on any "hand loader" with out some sort of problem occurring. I can see a lot of problems with both types of machines. Primers drop, bad cases, bullet drop are just a few. When a stall happens, what will break?

Spend the $40k and get an Ammoload. :bow:

Good Luck

I looked into the ammoload. already...78k too much for any need for my uses as I need to stick to smaller and easier.

The advice about bugging out w/ all the press and parts being a hassle is accurate and the generator issues too., unless using deisel or (stabil in the gas) storage unit. which will be for vehicles only., (pre electronic w/ faraday cages to protect any electronics I do have) That is why I am having a prepositioned and equipped retreat, w/water & land, setup elsewhere ready to go that is off grid in the terms of redundant power such as solar, wind, water, battery and manual with A 650 by hand manual use and a 1050 w/ auto for the .223 caliber for quantities. In fact I will have 2 such places as I plan on my city home being useless and a walkaway. Owning inexpensive Real estate in strategic locations is a decent investment as well as the other stuff & equipment which are commodities and have value as an investment and/or resale value if nothing happens so its a no lose thing for me to speculate on, but if stuff happens its value is priceless.( Im not going to put money in the bank thats for sure.) BTW, silver coins are a good deal right now get them while they are down in price.

Edited by amante

Koppi, this video will answer some of your questions.

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmorrismetal/media/VIDEO0114.mp4.html

For the op, what value would silver coins have once everyone has to bug out and head for the hills? Seems like a chicken, box of .22lr or even a fishing pole would be worth more than a 5 gallon bucket of silver, under the circumstance. Unless you intend to melt it down for casting bullets, they would be lighter than lead bullets out of the same mold but maybe hard enough that you wouldn't have to keep track of bullet lube too.

I've always said that the thing to hoard is .22 long rifle shells. Look at the price they are bringing now, especially compared to gold, which just dropped like a rock. Also, if the SHTF, you could carry a whole lot more of them.

those are accurate points. the chickens, .22 and fishing gear is more useful. A stash of dimes, quarters and half dollars are a hedge and also useful for side trade and change afterwards and not to be stockpiled instead of the basics. A garden, orchard and independent water source is better than any metals for sure. A large stash of .22 is great also to store up which I do, as well as cheap fishing kits for trade etc. The definition of hoarding is getting lots of stuff after a disaster, while stockpiling is defined as getting it before while everyone has the same opportunity. Thats important due to the new police , (I mean patriot ) act passed as now they consider the us a battlefield and are within their 'rights' to enter anyones premise and seize anything they want of 'hoarded' goods which is anything ..beyond a handful to redistribute that wealth to the deserving (unprepared). They also now have the right to bivouac those same people/refugees on your propery for you to take care of indefinitely as you already probably know.

Having copies of pre-dated receipts is in my plan if surprised, but hiding it is preferable.(still with receipts) , but that may be a moot point as once they have their testosterone going they wont care who is in the right. pre positioned goods and backup home is best so you are not ever stuck bugging out with anything in my opinion, a great reference is 'retreats& safe locations by joel skousen and also the same title by j. rawles. Im in seattle and although I have a 1.5 mil sound view home it is right in a target area and in the city to boot and dependent on city water, with no land etc so is a definite walk away if major crap happens. A cheap place (50k) on 5 acres paid for is more secure than this place as these homes are only a few payments away from a bank repo in those events. I have to keep my main place here as its also a business , but I have arranged it to run itself mostly with a manager while I prepare elsewhere, and check in and stay in the nice weather (summers).

Edited by amante

Amante,

Please take a moment to read the Forum Guidelines, conveniently located at the top of every forum page for your viewing pleasure.

If this gets any more politics dumped into it, it will be locked.

Thanks...

The Mod Squad

Quite the drift but it's your thread and something I don't stay up at night thinking about.

A cheap place (50k) on 5 acres paid for is more secure than this place as these homes are only a few payments away from a bank repo in those events.

An interesting side note, here in TX, even though A bank holds no lean on our property we still have to make "payments" on it every year in the form of property taxes.

I have to keep my main place here as its also a business

Also interesting concept for a SHTF view. I always figured that if everything went to hell in a hand basket, it would be better to be the Bear than the Bees if you wanted honey, you are talking about keeping a business running. What is it that you do that wouldn't be looted out of business and doesn't require secure, reliable supply lines for materials in and finished product out?

Not to mention what would you be taking as payment for said goods/services?

Edited by jmorris

Why a newbie would be looking at an autodrive is way beyond me. A little scary to be honest.

I also wonder about how well it would work. I also have some sort of issue every once in a while. It would be nice to not pull the handle but I would have to watch it like a hawk. I also use the feel of the handle to catch some of the issues that come up. Pretty bad idea to even consider one of these things during the first couple years of learning to reload if you ask me.

Why a newbie would be looking at an autodrive is way beyond me. A little scary to be honest.

I also wonder about how well it would work. I also have some sort of issue every once in a while. It would be nice to not pull the handle but I would have to watch it like a hawk. I also use the feel of the handle to catch some of the issues that come up. Pretty bad idea to even consider one of these things during the first couple years of learning to reload if you ask me.

Good points, really. There is a lot going on, and a lot to learn.

A "plain old manual" 650 is a pretty high output machine. You could burn through loading thousands and thousands of rounds worth of components, pretty quick.

Nice! jmorris. How long where you loading before you put that together?

I'm thinking Alaska is the place to be for fishing and hunting. I just don't see a 22LR being enough gun. 12ga. with some of each, bird shot, buck shot, and slug. And than maybe a sword for backup. :lol:

Nice! jmorris. How long where you loading before you put that together?

27 years or so.

I agree with the others, like I posted in #5, these things are not for someone that has never loaded ammo at all. Not to mention you will have $3k or more in reloading gear before you even have a chance to decide if reloading is for you.

I recently sold this machine to a new reloader and even though it had loaded many thousands of rounds for me over the years and is pretty simple at this point in MY life, it is still a lot of machine for a new reloader. In any case you can't argue with the highest bidder.

video

th_VID_20130305_152550_802_zps7819706b.jpg

Edited by jmorris

I started reloading on a 650. That's not recommended, and I also wouldn't recommend it based on my experience, but if someone genuinely thought they could, I'd tell them to go for it.

I would however actively and HIGHLY discourage starting with an autodrive no matter what. I run a Ponsness Warren on a 1050 at work and it's like learning how to drive in a Ferrari. Just not a good idea.

Once I got it figured out it runs just fine. Getting it all dialed in is a huge pain. It sure makes QC a breeze though, I can case gage and visually inspect every round as it comes off the press.

I would however actively and HIGHLY discourage starting with an autodrive no matter what. I run a Ponsness Warren on a 1050 at work and it's like learning how to drive in a Ferrari.

I think it would be more like backing up a front steer 4 wheel trailer up a hill with a cargo van that has the mirrors busted off.

You don't even have to use the clutch peddle of the new Ferrari's.

So, the take away from those with lots of experience is... It is a bad idea for guys with little experience.

It might even be reckless? We are talking about properly making ammo.

I started reloading, on a single-stage Rock Chucker, before I was a teenager. My Father taught me. He taught me to read the reloading manuals (on how to actually reload and develop a load...not pick out a recipe). And, he had me cross-reference multiple manuals. He also pointed out that he had called the experts up on the phone (there was no internet yet) when he had questions.

I probably had the fundamentals down well. When I started this stuff, it took me a bit to get my Dillon Square Deal B setup properly. Then, I went to a 650...which I had to learn how it liked to run.

I wouldn't want to scare anybody, but I'd want them to realize that this isn't movie magic