Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rescomp Magazine Tubes

Zoomy

I have read and heard that RHT mag tubes, when assembled with the proper components will hold more rounds than tuned STI tubes. The figure I have seen is 22 rounds of .40 using 138mm tube, Bolen 3mm pad and Grams spring and follower. Is this correct? Are they worth the extra expense? I am using STI tubes with Dawson SNL base pads and Dawson high capacity followers and am able to load 20 rounds.

Would the 2 extra rounds using RHT tubes make much of a differance?

22 rounds on an untuned Rescomp tube with the parts you mentioned is going to be very tight... 21 rounds fit just nicely. for me its worth it as i need all the help i can get, for some they dont want to bother with the cost and extra rounds as they say they can always reload. Good Luck

My Rescomp holds a comfortable, reloadable 21 with unmodified Bolen guts. It will just barely accept 21 with Grams guts, to the point where it won't lock into the gun. I don't see any possible way that 22 would fit with Grams guts unless you're trimming the spring into "only going to work once" territory.

Edit: with a 3mm Bolen basepad

Edited by MoNsTeR

My Rescomp holds a comfortable, reloadable 21 with unmodified Bolen guts. It will just barely accept 21 with Grams guts, to the point where it won't lock into the gun. I don't see any possible way that 22 would fit with Grams guts unless you're trimming the spring into "only going to work once" territory.

22 rounds on an untuned Rescomp tube with the parts you mentioned is going to be very tight... 21 rounds fit just nicely. for me its worth it as i need all the help i can get, for some they dont want to bother with the cost and extra rounds as they say they can always reload. Good Luck

Sounds like the magic "22" will not work unless I use the 4 or 7mm base pads which will not fit in the guage. I guess 21 is not a bad number.

Rescomp mag body Bolen pad and guts I was able to get 22 nonreloadable but am able to start with 22+1 it's awesome. Just FYI the rescomp does not fit the alum sti grip at all with out heavy work and filing.

Thanks. I have the 4mm Bolen pad with the Grams spring and follower and can only get 21+1 but reloadable. I will try the Bolen guts and see what happens. It looks like there is enough material on the Grams follower to machine it down a little to make more room.

I love the Rescomp mag body, When fully loaded the full length rib keeps the follower from tilting sideways as in the STI tubes.

I have also heard they are not as durable as the sti and especially the svi mags. I also was not able to use mine with my old style sti alum grip so I sold it. It was tuned and held 22 but prob not reloadable.

Hi,

Look out for the round count aggravation. Stick with what works every time. The one time the 22 rounder doesn't work, what will it cost? 3 or 4 seconds?

Plan your reloads---I've shot with Travis T. and seen him do two reloads on a limited run just to be safe. Didn't cost him any time.

Good Luck!

Ok, you have convinced me. I like to tinker and invent so I ge carried away with a mechanical challenge. I'll run the 20+1 Rescomps and make sure theyare reliable My STI tubes with Dawson SNL pads will load 20+1.

I only really use my rescomp mag to start with 23 and works everytime or reload into it with 21 rounds sometimes just 20 to be safe. Never drop the rescomp. Maybe only less than a handful of times I have dropped it.

29 in a 9mm big stick is trivial with the right parts, it's 30 that's hard :P

I only use my Rescomp 21 when I want the extra round of insurance or to attempt a foolhardy plan. I wish they would make them out of tougher steel though, the design is so much better than STI and SV tubes I would run them exclusively if it was practical.

• 6 years later...