Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Knife selection need advice

So I'm looking for a new pocket knife. My searches have turned up el zippo so far. My criteria are:

1. 3.5" - 4" blade
  2. folding
  3. fast non spring assisted deployment (one-handed)
  4. glass breaker
  5. seat belt cutter
  6. pocket clip (optional)
  7. MADE IN USA!
  8. < $65

So far all I can fine are China or Taiwan made products. I found some nice ones, but I'm not spending $250 for a freaking knife. #6 on my list seems to be the thing that keeps biting me in the rear end.

Thanks much in advance for any help.

Edited by OUshooter

Kershaw Responder fits your criteria , except for number 2 (not a folder)... but you can get them for about 25 bucks. I carry a kershaw leek and think think they make a great knife for the money.

For a folder Spyderco's Assist is nice but I don't believe that model is made in the USA and it runs about 75 bucks which is a little over your limit. Have one of these on a boat for line and utility use and it is a durable dependable knife.

It is 4 and 5 that are the killers. without them you have a ton of choices.

I agree. Problem is it's like when I go truck shopping. It has to be 4x4. If you got it but don't need it, then no biggie. BUT if you need it and don't got it you are screwed, royally.

But yeah w/o those 2 it's just a matter of what color do you like.

What it comes down to is a choice between cheap crap for less than $30 made in China etc. or quality tools that start at about $125. Not a lot of choice in that $65 range,

Just before deer season last year I bought a Gerber guthook knife at Academy, didn't really pay attention to were it was made, for ~$20. It has been a really good tool thus far, but I just can't stand to buy any more overseas products. So if I have to wait and just save a bit, then so be it.

Let's take the price tag to say < $150. Recommendations?

Check E bay for used knives. If it weren't for your #4 and 5, I would say look for an Emerson CQC7 with the wave feature (very fast, one handed opening). While it doesn't have an official glass breaker or belt cutter, I believe it will do either one. I carry the slightly smaller Emerson Mini CQC-7 (2.9" blade). I have used mine hard and not been disappointed with it. You can usually find used Emersons for ~$100.

Hurley

If you can bite the bullet and buy a Benchmade it will last forever. If you break them down to cost per year like a car it is a hell of a deal. How is that for justification to spend $ for a knife. I have a couple of Randall's that I purchased in the late 60s early 70s for less than $275.00 that sell today for $1200.00 +.

• 4 weeks later...

SOG TF-5 but it MAY not sell for the price you specified.

Knives, like guns, are similar in pricing....you can buy cheap but you get what you pay for.

I had a "cheap" folding knife that closed on my finger when I was using it....NOT good.

Since then I use only good quality folding knives that lock securely when using them.

JK

First identify the use to which you will most likely put the knife and THEN determine the best knife you can afford that fits that category.

For instance if I'm using it primarily to cut up cardboard boxes then I would buy a box cutter and not a SOG, Benchmade, etc....

If its self defense then I'm looking at high quality folders or fixed blades like William's Hissatsu or Sakimori.

CRKT M16-12ZE comes damn close to your requirements. Another idea might be to find a knife you like without #5 and buy a CRKT K.E.R.T. to go along with it for 8 bucks.

Edited by Shadowrider