Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 686 Sight Options?

JesseM

I'm new to revolver. I've started shooting a 4" Pre-Lock 686 in IDPA matches. I was previously shooting a Glock with Warren Tactical sights, blacked out rear, fiber front.

I have so far only shot it in one IDPA classifier and in some practice sessions and I like the rear sight on this 686 well enough but I have been having difficulty finding the front sight so I'm wondering what my options are because the front sight is appears to be permanently mounted to the barrel and it has this orange plastic thing in it about half way up. Is there something I can do or am I basically just going to have to paint the front sight blade?

DSC00017.JPG

Get this http://www.jackweiga...om/interfs.html , a decent machinist and a FO from various vendors and you'll be good to got.

Meprolight also sells night sights you install by taking the red plastic ramp out and red loctiting the nightsite in.

ETA: Or, sell it and get a pinned 686 or better yet, a 686SSR:)

Edited by sbcman

I used a 686 for club PPC type shooting and used the stock sights with good results. All I did was remove the orange insert and apply sight black on the front sight (and rear, too) and it gave a nice defined site picture. If you ever want to replace the insert you can buy the “cast in place” kit and do it yourself.

BTW - Used that old 686 gun this weekend for the first time in something like two decades in a local steel match. I had forgotten how much fun it was to shoot! :cheers:

Did you put anything else in instead of the orange insert or did you leave it empty? Is sight black a specific thing or did you just paint it black?

Edited by JesseM

Really like the Weigand .140 rear and SDM front. Nice clear sight picture.

The three ozs of weight on the gun you have now helps recoil. Did some testing with a friend splits were quicker with the standard 686 vs 686SSR.

After you get it to where you can mount an aftermarket sight. I have an SDM fiber sight on my 686 and I like it. :)http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Super_Sights.html

Will that system work with the Wiegand combat replacement?

Really like the Weigand .140 rear and SDM front. Nice clear sight picture. The three ozs of weight on the gun you have now helps recoil. Did some testing with a friend splits were quicker with the standard 686 vs 686SSR.

Honestly even if it didn't I like the look of that better anyway. Plus the hassle of trading it and then waiting (Man the back-log in Maryland right now is ridiculous) so trading it for a 686SSR was never going to be an option for me.

After you get it to where you can mount an aftermarket sight. I have an SDM fiber sight on my 686 and I like it. :)http://www.sdmfabric...per_Sights.html

Will that system work with the Wiegand combat replacement?

Really like the Weigand .140 rear and SDM front. Nice clear sight picture. The three ozs of weight on the gun you have now helps recoil. Did some testing with a friend splits were quicker with the standard 686 vs 686SSR.

Honestly even if it didn't I like the look of that better anyway. Plus the hassle of trading it and then waiting (Man the back-log in Maryland right now is ridiculous) so trading it for a 686SSR was never going to be an option for me.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115209

I had Warren at Protocol Design Install a Weigand system and I am using his fiber optic sights. If you have any questions you might PM him, he's a vendor here and is great to deal with.

I found someone semi local to install the Weigand front sight thing. Any experience on the Weigand rear sights? Should I use those or go with something else?

I'd like to mimick the Warren sights on my Glock as closely as I can to tell the truth.

I've got an old 586 that's been hard chromed. I never liked the red ramp, so I've always used sight black or model airplane paint to blacken the front sight. Currently I've painted the entire sight blade black which looks crappy but is effective. I'll have to try one of the cast in sight insert replacements-I really don't want to do any more machining on the gun now that it's been plated. I've got a Weigand rear blade on the stock S&W sight with a .140 notch, and I love it!!!

I've got an old 586 that's been hard chromed. I never liked the red ramp, so I've always used sight black or model airplane paint to blacken the front sight. Currently I've painted the entire sight blade black which looks crappy but is effective. I'll have to try one of the cast in sight insert replacements-I really don't want to do any more machining on the gun now that it's been plated. I've got a Weigand rear blade on the stock S&W sight with a .140 notch, and I love it!!!

Did you install the rear sight yourself or did you take it to a gunsmith? Their website says gunsmith but unless it requires some tool I'm unware of I don't know what the big deal is.