Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage Scenarios

kdj

I asked a friend of mine what he learned from his last match (which happend to be IDPA). He said " I learned to never use an ATM late at night in a bad part of town, never get a flat tire in a bad part of town, and never, ever, order delivery pizza!" B)

Richmond used to be scenario driven, but that was years ago. For a while, it seemed to me that some of the more senior members of the club actually frowned on making the scenarios too realistic (perhaps an attempt to make the sport more acceptable to those whose sensibilities were too delicate).

For me, it's fun either way, whether the object the shooter is carrying is a mannekin representing a rescued hostage, or a bowling ball (and I've designed stages both ways).

A scenerio is fine. A simple here are the targets is also fine. It is important to keep the end result in perpective.

As to having to perform a non-shooting skill or action while in the middle of a stage, that IS a shooting test. Can you maintain your focus while having to place a bag in a box, or retrieving a package. Can you shoot while carrying a 10 lb bowling ball in a bag? Can you shoot the next tem rounds stronghand only while carrying a weight?

If you don't like non-shooting challenges, why do you like ports with covers and doors that have to be opened? There is no real difference is there? I carry a bag and shoot, I open a door or window and shoot.

As to color selection, I would combine that with a distinct shape, Square, Circle and Triangle, that way everyone gets a chance. And it is a shooting challenge.

Personally I would prefer all the targets to be the same color and all the targets to have pasters adhered to them. The no-shoot/penalty targets should have different identifiers attached. Otherwise a hoser stage is just that, shoot all the brown, no thinking required. Not that that is all bad either, but it would be nice to have to think as well, sort of evens out the playing field for the older slower guys.

Jim Norman

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I am relatively new to the sport, but I have never shot a stage that had a scenario/theme attached to it and thought that I would have had more fun shooting it if it did not have a scenario attached to it. Not sure how a story attached to a stage somehow runs contraty to the free style principle.

Every now and then it's ok to have a name but if the stage is based around a scenario then no thankyou. If iI wanted that then I would shoot (unspeakable name). Just my two cents.

It is OK to name a stage? as opposed to Stage One, Stage Two, etc.?

We name them, sometimes the name has something to do with the stage, "I Don;t Do Windows" or "Card Game Interuptus" other times it has to do with something that happend at another match, or maybe a stage designer is not available so we might call a stage "Where is Jim when we need him?

Scenarios are not all bad, they are not all good. Some are fantastic, others are just plain wrong. Personally I think that a little bit of light-hearted humor in describing the rationale behind a stage's design is just fine. We include the round count, number and type of targets, as well as scoring system and points and penalties whether we read a "Story" or not.

Jim