Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 recoil spring

Higgins

While you are changing recoil springs while you are on the Wolf Springs web site check out thier reduced hammer springs. I put a 17 pound hammer spring in and lowered my double action trigger pull to 7 pounds from 10 and my single action from 6 pounds to 4.3.

While you are changing recoil springs while you are on the Wolf Springs web site check out thier reduced hammer springs. I put a 17 pound hammer spring in and lowered my double action trigger pull to 7 pounds from 10 and my single action from 6 pounds to 4.3.

The trigger has been worked over by Bruce Gray an I think it has the 17lb main spring in it already. I believe it has the stock recoil spring in it and it seems a little too stout. I had two failure to eject properly today and I am certain it needs to be reduced. I used an 11 lb recoil spring in my Beretta with the same load.

The trigger has been worked over by Bruce Gray an I think it has the 17lb main spring in it already. I believe it has the stock recoil spring in it and it seems a little too stout. I had two failure to eject properly today and I am certain it needs to be reduced. I used an 11 lb recoil spring in my Beretta with the same load.

I would not jump down to a 11lb spring. If I remember correctly the stock spring is 20lb. Check out the Wolf Spring site. The springs are inexpensive and would allow you to obtain several springs to try out. Maybe start at 15lbs andwork your way down.

I'm actually running GGI's pink recoil spring in mine, which is heavier than the factory orange spring. I'm shooting ~136 PF, and the pink spring seems to make the slide return to battery more quickly than the factory spring.

I spoke to Bruce yesterday and he told me the pink spring is heavier than the orange. He is sending me his fat guiderod that can be used with conventional springs. He recommended a 14 lb. or maybe even a 13 lb. single strand spring. He is a very nice guy and I have added him to my list of gunsmiths with class. (Tripp, Angus, and Gray)

I'm actually running GGI's pink recoil spring in mine, which is heavier than the factory orange spring. I'm shooting ~136 PF, and the pink spring seems to make the slide return to battery more quickly than the factory spring.

Are you shooting 147s? I had a conversation with Bruce this week and for my 147s he suggested running the heavy spring for less muzzle flip. Got them in today so I hopefully can try out my pink spring friday before the match this weekend.

I'm currently running jacketed 124's, but I have an order in for a case of lead 147s. A member of another local club let me try his X5 Allround before I ordered mine. I shot it side by side with my alloy 226 gun using 124s. Then he let me shoot some of his 147 loads from the X5, and OMG!!! The muzzle flip and recoil were incredibly reduced. I think he gets his ammo from AA&A, so I have no idea what the load was, but I'm going to try to get close to it.

Edited by JAFO

I'm currently running jacketed 124's, but I have an order in for a case of lead 147s. A member of another local club let me try his X5 Allround before I ordered mine. I shot it side by side with my alloy 226 gun using 124s. Then he let me shoot some of his 147 loads from the X5, and OMG!!! The muzzle flip and recoil were incredibly reduced. I think he gets his ammo from AA&A, so I have no idea what the load was, but I'm going to try to get close to it.

Ran a 3 gun class today with my 226 running the GGI spring kit (17lb mainspring) and the GGI pink recoil spring I just got in. Runs perfectly the way I want it to. No sharp muzzle rise and no noticeable dip on closing. Also as you mentioned the gun seems to cycle faster with sights on target back into battery faster that I can process it.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys using the pink spring, what loads are you using? Does it go to slidelock? What PF? I have Titegroup and Solo 1000 with 124 gr. Montana Gold to experiment with.

Thanks

13lbs wolfe spring

125 HAP at 132 Pf

or

147 Lead at 138 Pf

The reason the diff power factors is that is where I like the feel of the gun and where my splits are the fastest (i.e shile still shooting A's, except in matches of courseLOL)

13lbs wolfe spring

125 HAP at 132 Pf

or

147 Lead at 138 Pf

The reason the diff power factors is that is where I like the feel of the gun and where my splits are the fastest (i.e shile still shooting A's, except in matches of courseLOL)

I am using the wolf 13lb as well. My PF is about 132,500 with my 124 gr. and is a soft shooter. My 147 gr. at 132,500 PF does not go to slide lock to0 well.

Thanks for the info!

You guys using the pink spring, what loads are you using? Does it go to slidelock? What PF? I have Titegroup and Solo 1000 with 124 gr. Montana Gold to experiment with.

Thanks

124gr MG JHPs over 4.5 gr of Titegroup @ 1.14" OAL gives me ~1100fps, or ~136 PF. I have no problems with the slide locking back.

If you are having this problem consistently, check the position of your strong hand thumb. It doesn't take too much pressure riding the slide catch lever to cause a failure to lock back.

• 5 weeks later...

I assume those of you with 9mm 226's are using the variable rate wolff recoil spring since the conventional spring listed only goes down to 14lbs whereas the stock spring is 15lbs. Variable rate spring goes from 10-14lbs on the reduced power side.

I've got a stock 226R and just getting into USPSA (2 matches so far).

Practice ammo is whatever I can find, but match ammo is Remington 'Match Grade' 147 FMJ w/ 6gr AA#7 (stuff is dirty!!! ... switching to HS6 with next reloading batch).

I'll pick up the 17lb main spring (once I figure out if I have a plastic base or not), but wanted to double check conventional vs variable recoil spring.

I'll pick up the 17lb main spring (once I figure out if I have a plastic base or not), but wanted to double check conventional vs variable recoil spring.

Just remove the grips and you can see if you have the plastic base or not for the main spring/hammer spring. My guess is you will have it.

Are any of you fellows having any light strike issues going to the 17 lb mainspring? I ordered a Wolf pack a few weeks ago to dabble with in my 226 and have had some inconsistent ignition issues with both Remington and Winchester primers.

I don't normally have any light strike issues with a 17# mainspring, but I use Federal primers. When I do start having problems, it's usually after ~3500 rounds, so I try to replace the recoil and mainsprings around 3k rounds.

Thanks JAFO.

I've had some issues with Remington primers even with the stock 21 lb mainsprings, but this was the first time I've had any problems with the Winchesters. They've been GTG down to the 19 lb springs, IME. I guess I've found my threshold. I have acase of Federal primers stashed away somewhere. Perhaps I'll have to load some up and try those.

t

Thanks JAFO.

I've had some issues with Remington primers even with the stock 21 lb mainsprings, but this was the first time I've had any problems with the Winchesters. They've been GTG down to the 19 lb springs, IME. I guess I've found my threshold. I have acase of Federal primers stashed away somewhere. Perhaps I'll have to load some up and try those.

t

Check to make sure your firing pin safety block is not interfering with the firing pin travel. I use a long #2 wooden pencil an stick it down the unloaded gun's barrel, cock the hammer, and dry fire it with the muzzle horizontal and see how far the pencil travels when it leaves the barrel. Then try it double action. Then try it in a pistol that fires normally and compare. If the pencil travel is much less than the known good gun, then you need to figure out why.

I had an x-5 with a dragging firing pin safety block. Got it where it shot the pencil OK and no more light strikes.

I use the Wolff 13 variable and a 17# hammer spring with 130 pf ammo, works fine except for S&B box ammo and anything else with hard primers. I use Atlanta Arms reloads with no problems ever.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Thanks

I'm running Rainier 147 gr Plated Hollow Points. 1.09 OAL 3.6 gr Universal. I think this puts me around 132 PF and I have no issues locking back with the pink spring

Thanks JAFO.

t

Check to make sure your firing pin safety block is not interfering with the firing pin travel. I use a long #2 wooden pencil an stick it down the unloaded gun's barrel, cock the hammer, and dry fire it with the muzzle horizontal and see how far the pencil travels when it leaves the barrel. Then try it double action. Then try it in a pistol that fires normally and compare. If the pencil travel is much less than the known good gun, then you need to figure out why.

I had an x-5 with a dragging firing pin safety block. Got it where it shot the pencil OK and no more light strikes.

I use the Wolff 13 variable and a 17# hammer spring with 130 pf ammo, works fine except for S&B box ammo and anything else with hard primers. I use Atlanta Arms reloads with no problems ever.

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe and sorry for the late reply. I'd done the pencil test with this pistol and I'm not noticing any difference between that slide and any of my other known Sigs. A swap to the 18 lb spring took the number of light hits down to 2 or 3 out of 250 or thereabouts with Winchester primers. The 19 lb was 100% over a similar number of rounds, again with the Winchesters.

I may punch the FPPP and take a look at the firing pin and safety plunger to rule out any burrs, etc... when I get the chance this week. It sure would be nice to have it reliably ignite with the 17 lb spring.

t