Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 recoil spring

Higgins

Running a 12lb Wolff variable with a 17lb Wolff hammer spring in my 9mm P226R. No problems whatsover with light primer strikes with Federal and Winchester primers, or with whatever factory ammo I have laying around. Would like to try the GGI fat guide rod with the pink recoil spring next. But as is the gun shoots really nice. Quite happy with the accuracy. My 135pf 147 grain reloads are an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Thanks blaster113. So you're not feeling like factory loads are slamming things around too hard with the 12lb'er eh? I'm still waiting for my spring sets to arrive so I can start testing.

Thanks blaster113. So you're not feeling like factory loads are slamming things around too hard with the 12lb'er eh? I'm still waiting for my spring sets to arrive so I can start testing.

One thing to keep in mind. The guns equipped with the E2 grips use a different base and strut. It changes the angle on the strut causing some slight binding. You probably will not be able to use as light of a mainspring on an E2 equipped gun as you would a standard gripped P226

Running a 12lb Wolff variable with a 17lb Wolff hammer spring in my 9mm P226R. No problems whatsover with light primer strikes with Federal and Winchester primers, or with whatever factory ammo I have laying around. Would like to try the GGI fat guide rod with the pink recoil spring next. But as is the gun shoots really nice. Quite happy with the accuracy. My 135pf 147 grain reloads are an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Wolff made 12lbs variable recoil spring for 226 ? Lightest spring for 226 is 14lbs... http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SIG-SAUER%20(SIGARMS)/P-226/cID1/mID4/dID254

staudacher - Bummer, but thanks for the heads up. Mine's an E2. Actually I'd like to try different grips as I'm finding the E2 a little small for my hands.

viktorcistic - scroll down on that page further: "Available Weights..............................: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19 Lb."

One thing to keep in mind. The guns equipped with the E2 grips use a different base and strut. It changes the angle on the strut causing some slight binding. You probably will not be able to use as light of a mainspring on an E2 equipped gun as you would a standard gripped P226

Now that is interesting. I didn't know that. Should be checked. I have standard grips on 4 pistols where the 17# is 100%. I also use a Wolff variable 13 with 130 pf 115 ammo. It is sluggish with 147. Just right with 115. For me.

Joe

staudacher - Bummer, but thanks for the heads up. Mine's an E2. Actually I'd like to try different grips as I'm finding the E2 a little small for my hands.

viktorcistic - scroll down on that page further: "Available Weights..............................: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19 Lb."

If you do change to standard grips you will need a new decocking lever, main spring base and strut. In return you should have a better DA trigger pull.

You can change to standard grips and just change the decocking lever if you just want to try different grips. Then change out the strut and base later to improve the trigger.

Edited by staudacher

Thanks JAFO.

I've had some issues with Remington primers even with the stock 21 lb mainsprings, but this was the first time I've had any problems with the Winchesters. They've been GTG down to the 19 lb springs, IME. I guess I've found my threshold. I have acase of Federal primers stashed away somewhere. Perhaps I'll have to load some up and try those.

t

You might also want to check your next batch of loads and make sure all your primers look fully seated. I was chasing an intermittent light primer strike problem on my 226 that I never could nail down. I even sent the gun back to GGI for them to look it over, but they couldn't find anything to directly attribute the problem to (this was after replacing the mainspring, and FP). Bruce suggested that it might have been high primers. I inspected my loader and saw that I had a lot of buildup around the neck of the primer seating punch. I cleaned it up and stopped having misfires.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a close look at my priming station. I take it yours didn't appear obviously high? I haven't noticed my primers looking that way.

I'm using the standard main spring strut.

t

Edited by taadski

If you do change to standard grips you will need a new decocking lever, main spring base and strut. In return you should have a better DA trigger pull.

You can change to standard grips and just change the decocking lever if you just want to try different grips. Then change out the strut and base later to improve the trigger.

Bummer. What changed with the decocking lever from prior to current gen? During USPSA comp and practicing I occasionally don't get slide lock back as it is due to decocking lever placement and my thumb placement :(

Wolff made 12lbs variable recoil spring for 226 ? Lightest spring for 226 is 14lbs... http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SIG-SAUER%20(SIGARMS)/P-226/cID1/mID4/dID254

look here

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/984925/wolff-variable-power-recoil-spring-sig-sauer-p220-p226-browning-bda-45-acp-12-lb-reduced-power

My gun is a regular 9mm P226R, not one of the new E2 guns. The spring feels just right both with factory ammo and my 135 pf reloads; it doesnt feel undersprung. The factory spring feels like its overkill big time for our little mouse fart 9mm loads.