Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650xl primer seating problem

I'm having problems with the primer system on my 650 and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the subject. I'm not getting primers fully seated and it feels like I'm not getting a full range of motion on the handle. It feels like its binding when I press on the handle. I've removed and reinstalled the primer assembly with no improvement. Anyone have any ideas about the possible problem?

Thanks

post-24908-0-59516100-1364668736_thumb.jpost-24908-0-81123000-1364668754_thumb.j

post-24908-0-80183300-1364668781_thumb.j

Make sure your primer punch is screwed in all the way, and that the piece on the frame of the press that pushes the primer punch upward did not come loose and shift down. You can adjust this up and down a little IIRC

Make sure your primer punch is screwed in all the way, and that the piece on the frame of the press that pushes the primer punch upward did not come loose and shift down. You can adjust this up and down a little IIRC

+1 it looks like the "primer Punch is not screwed in all of the way. 1st picture, tighten and use wrench. If that doesnt work ensure that shell plate is not binding on down stroke, but if that was the case. The ram wouldnt come all of the way up and the machine would lock up.

I'd definitely try what Wes suggested and check snugness of that punch.

You mention some 'binding' when at top end of stroke during the seating.... does this binding

sensation occur with no case in the prime station (2)?

I'd be interested in pulling that punch assembly from the machine and operate it while in a vice or something to see if it binds there.

Perhaps some flotsam and jetsam are in that assembly. Try flushing it with some cleaner like WD 40 or such or just hot water and soap. Don't

gunk it up with excess lube as that will just make it act up again. If I have the urge to lubricate something like that I use a dry lube, like graphite

or teflon powder.

. The damn thing is not something one can easily dissemble.

There is a youtube vid or two of someone doing that however.

Could be helpful to try that. Perhaps that pin is slightly bent...

I take it this is a new machine to you and first time operating?

• 2 weeks later...

If you tighten the big bolt in the middle of the shell plate too much, the handle won't reach its full downward range of motion. Your problem is an easy fix, I could make a video to demonstrate what you need to do if you like.

Check all around the handle linkage, I have had a spent primer get stuck in there restrict the range of movement.----------Larry

If it was OK and then all of a sudden was not seating primers.....my money is with Larry White. Edited by Service Desk