Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand new to shooting USPSA!

LincolnOsiris

Welcome. If I was starting again I would get a Glock 35 and a few mags. You can shoot it in 3 different divisions and get used to the game on a relatively cheap setup. One thing I would spend on is a CR Speed or DA belt. You will use it on any setup you decide on.

I've been told that by others as well, to get something that works iwell in more than one division. I like Glocks a lot and I've also shot Beretta's quite a bit in the service, but most people say get a glock or a cz for production. I may focus on that division, but limited sounds fun too. Thanks for the suggestion!

If a glock fits you, Speedemon45's advice is top notch. I started with (and still use) a G17 in 3 divisions, and for the moment am stuck shooting minor due to component availability to feed my new .40. The 35 can do it all, and once you start reloading (you will if you don't already) you can make some great minor 40 loads.

He is also correct on the belt, just add a blade tech holster and any mag pouch's and you can shoot many divisions for many years.

Welcome and good luck!!

Welcome! Any questions please fee free to ask. I'm a CRO for USPSA and now have a National match under my belt as one of the Range Officers. Several guns will be great for production or limited including Glocks, Springfield XDm, S&W M&P etc. Find what fits you and go with that. I shoot a custom built STI/SV built by Krebbs for open, a Para Ordanance Limited 40 for Limited, a Kimber for single stack, and a Springfield XDm 5.25 9mm for production. I really love the Springfield XDm 5.25 especially after doing a trigger job on it. My carry guns are a Glock 23 and Springfield XDm 3.8 40 cal. Holsters are an important factor too. Depending on the division you shoot in may determine what's allowed. Since Production is the most restricted, it narrows down the holster type somewhat, at least as compared to Open division where almost anything goes. I use Comp-Tech holsters for Production and my carry guns. Their customer service is top notch.

Welcome. I started with a g17. I moved over to shooting limited but still got all my old flock gear for any of my friends that what to give uspsa a try. They so far have all become hooked once they try it.

Hi LincolnOsiris. Check out www.powerfactorshow.com. This ongoing video series is geared toward educating new shooters such as yourself. We're on YouTube and Facebook.

And you guys are absolutely awesome. I'm new to USPSA and competitive shooting in general and I love listening to you guys. I'm even learning from the IDPA podcasts even though I don't plan on doing IDPA until I learn a bit more about USPSA first. The recent one on the VIckers scoring system gave me a lot of insight into how to think about any sort of strategy for these shooting games. Great stuff!

I've been told that by others as well, to get something that works iwell in more than one division. I like Glocks a lot and I've also shot Beretta's quite a bit in the service, but most people say get a glock or a cz for production. I may focus on that division, but limited sounds fun too. Thanks for the suggestion!

For what it's worth, I'm just getting started in all of this also. I have a law enforcement background, but I'm about as green as you can get when it comes to action shooting. I'm starting with Steel Challenge and USPSA Production as my primary games. I've decided to do Production for USPSA and I've gone with a Glock 34 Gen 4, a CR Speed Hi Torque belt, five CR Speed Versa Pouches for my mags (Because I'm not very good and figure I need all of the ammo I can lug around), and a Comp-Tac International as a holster. I've stared to use this setup and I'm happy with everything.

I'm a Glock Armorer so I'm a bit biased towards Glocks. That said I went through the police academy with my trusty Beretta 92FS and if I wasn't using a Glock, I would have gone with my beloved burrito. I've shot countless thousands of rounds through that thing with just one misfire ever that was an ammo related issue. It's also taken quite a few spills on the ice with me (always a risk when investigating accidents on icy roads...) and never had an issue.

For Steel Challenge, I'm using a Smith and Wesson 22A, but I haven't gone through a match yet so I can't say how well it will do. It's been just fine on the range, but we'll see how it does when it's being used by someone under pressure. :)