Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STAINLESS OR DROP FORGED BARREL

trlloyd

I am interested in getting started in 3 Gun. I have a pistol, and building an AR, while looking for a shotgun. Yes I am behind the curve. But with that being said, I at least have found this site and am able to hopefully build my gun correctly the first time.

I have a lower and a lower parts kit as well as a stock and grip. It is the upper I am working on right now.

My question is in regards to the barrel; what are the pros and cons of a stainless barrel and a drop forged barrel?

I am looking at going with an 18" barrel. I still am trying to figure out why one gas tube length is better than another also.

Is there a reason a person would use a certain length freefloat handguard over another?

My upper build as I have been reading is going to hopefully be:

Noveske MUR upper

18" barrel

length gas tube ????

Young NM Bolt carrier

Troy Battle Rail 15"

I would like to shoot with an Eotech or Aimpoint

Thanks

Todd

The barrel you get will dictate what gas length you will be using. Most 18" barrels are rifle length and that's what you want. Some are intermediate length (such as Noveske) and they are great too but most feel that the rifle length gives a better recoil impulse and lighter recoil overall.

Your parts look good, I especially like the Troy 15" handguards and have them on most of my rifles. The 15" handguard gives you a lot of room to get your hand out to control your rifle and has the length to rest on walls or obstacles so your barrel doesn't touch anything while you are shooting - that would kill your accuracy.

As far as stainless steel, those seem to be the most preferred by 3 gunners on here. Here are few posts on it:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=157003&st=25&hl=++stainless%20++steel%20++barrel#entry1758451

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=159751&hl=%2B%2Bstainless+%2B%2Bsteel+%2B%2Bbarrel

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133909&st=25&hl=++stainless%20++steel%20++barrel#entry1556684

Great information, thank you. So another thing I am reading and not understanding on the site is the different acronyms and there are terms I am not familiar with. What is a Wylde barrel, what are other options?

If I use an 18" barrel can I use a mid length gas tube or a rifle length? So if I start with one and change to the other to see/feel the difference is it a matter fo just changing the gas tube or do I have to also change other parts?

Wylde is an improvement over the standard .223 chambering to allow the use of both .223 and 5.56 ammo without running into issues. You really want to stay with a 5.56 chambering or the Wylde. The gas tube depends on how the barrel is drilled for the gas ports. If the barrel is drilled for a rifle length tube, then after you put the gas block on at that distance, the tube will need to be the rifle length to fit. Same for the other options (pistol, carbine, mid-length, intermediate, and rifle). Most 18" are rifle but some are intermediate and I think there is a mid-length for an 18" but not sure who made it. There is a 16" DPMS barrel that is rifle length also.

I wouldn't get too caught up on the gas tube length, just go with a rifle length and be done with it.

You have me sold on the rifle length. Can you tell me about adjustable gas blocks?

Should I go with an adjustable or fixed? Recommendation on a gas block or tube?

Really appreciate the help.

I guess since I hafe decided on a stainless wylde 18" barrel, how about a recommendation for it?

Thanks

Which barrel and which gasblock are a little interdependant. I like non-adjustable gas as they leak less, change less and fail less. But if you have a barrel with a .110 gas port, you will want adjustable gas to take out some of the recoil due to being overgassed. If I have to use an adjustable gas block, the Syrac is the only one I use.

I'd find a barrel first since they are a bit hard to come by of late.

So if I go with an 18" barrel, I will not need an adjustable gas block? If I do not what would you recommend? Any suggestions on barrels? I also see there are differnt thicknesses. The more I look into it the more it gets confusing.

Does the choice of barrel have anything to do with the bullet being fired? Is there a particular weight bullet to use for 3 - Gun?

So if I go with an 18" barrel, I will not need an adjustable gas block? If I do not what would you recommend? Any suggestions on barrels? I also see there are differnt thicknesses. The more I look into it the more it gets confusing.

Does the choice of barrel have anything to do with the bullet being fired? Is there a particular weight bullet to use for 3 - Gun?

Easy answer is get a 18 inch barrel with a rifle length gas system made of stainless steel with a medium contour and a 1/8 twist. The Nordic barrel MarCO designed is a great one for under $300. This configuration is used by 99% of three gunners for a reason. No fluting is needed. An adjustable gas block is not needed unless your going to run a low mass bolt carrier group.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

More and more questions!!!

So I have now heard of low mass, NM, and well stock BCG's. What are the pros and cons of each? Are there other types, deciding which one to use is it usage specific?

Right now I am focused on 3 gun. I use an M4 at work which is what I am used to.

Has anyone delt with Black Hole Armory and are there 18" ss barrels any good?

Pat Kelly has been using them. That should indicate they are quality. I'm waiting on an 18" LTR barrel with no finish. They are running behind on orders.

I ordered a 18" Medium weight barrel with a rifle length gas tube from Surplus Ammo. I received a confirmation, but I did not see anywhere in the message where there is a back order or items out of stock. At the same time I did not receive any time fram on delivery. :(

I have not been able to find a Noveske upper to even get my name on a wait list. The same holds true for the Young NM BCG. Anyone have any leads?

I ordered a 18" Medium weight barrel with a rifle length gas tube from Surplus Ammo. I received a confirmation, but I did not see anywhere in the message where there is a back order or items out of stock. At the same time I did not receive any time fram on delivery. :(

I have not been able to find a Noveske upper to even get my name on a wait list. The same holds true for the Young NM BCG. Anyone have any leads?

The barrel that I have on order is from Black Hole Weaponry direct. That's the only place that had what I wanted. If that's your concern.

There are more of course but this is a good general guide. I'm waiting on a BHW 18" LTR myself, looking at 10 weeks I hear. Pat is the MAN, Old guys rule!

I've been waiting since the end of October.

Yikes! figures....glad I have another to shoot during the wait.