Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wasting Money!

kneelingatlas

I'm looking for some advice gentlemen.

I shoot Limited, but I'm running out of .40 ammo; I have a good stock (3-4K) of .38 and a perfectly good 4" GP100 with a tuned trigger in the safe so I keep flirting with the idea of switching to revo, I have a production gun and 9mm but I think I would prefer revolver. I already tried to fit my revolver in my CR Speed holster and it's a no go, so I have nothing, no holster, no speed loaders, nothing. Online I had six comp threes, two caddies and a Fobus holster in the cart, but then I had second thoughts: do I want to spend all this money on speed loaders when what I really want to do is cut the cylinder for moon clips? do I want to spend all this money on my Ruger?

I would hate to spend a bunch of money to get all set up for my Ruger, only to later buy a 625 and a speed rig. I know I'm happy with my Ruger next to a 686, but it seems like shorter rounds should reload much easier, right?

Are the 3-4k of .38 loaded rounds or just the bullet? If you have 9mm brass you can use the .38 special bullet in the 9mm and shoot production.

Loaded rounds. When I got into this sport over the summer I had a decent sized gun collection (~two dozen), many of which I sold with the anticipation that I eventually want to shoot each division and really do like shooting revolvers, so I figure now is as good a time as ever to try it.

If I get the primers I was promised on Thursday, I won't be forced to make the switch, but my worries will still be there when I eventually try production, so what is your opinion? are there serious competitors out there using .38s? are moon clips that big an advantage over speed loaders? speed holster over regular?

Maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing, but I don't want to sink a bunch of money into a hopeless platform.

Are the 3-4k of .38 loaded rounds or just the bullet? If you have 9mm brass you can use the .38 special bullet in the 9mm and shoot production.

Loaded rounds. When I got into this sport over the summer I had a decent sized gun collection (~two dozen), many of which I sold with the anticipation that I eventually want to shoot each division and really do like shooting revolvers, so I figure now is as good a time as ever to try it.

If I get the primers I was promised on Thursday, I won't be forced to make the switch, but my worries will still be there when I eventually try production, so what is your opinion? are there serious competitors out there using .38s? are moon clips that big an advantage over speed loaders? speed holster over regular?

Maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing, but I don't want to sink a bunch of money into a hopeless platform.

I don't shoot IDPA but it sounds like it would be a good set up for that.

Depends what you want to do, and where. Right now the Revo Nationals in May at PASA after the SS Classic is the big deal. At local clubs if you are lucky and can round up a few cohorts you may have some competition, but usually you will be lucky if there is anyone else shooting a Revo. At the Area level you can find anywhere from 5 to 20 competitors, but usually not even in the double digits. This may change in the future if this years Revo Nationals causes a surge in popularity.

With all that being said MOONCLIPS are faster. At this time most shoot Major with a .45, some use .44's and .40's too. Rarely do you see a Major .357. But except for Bubber, you just don't see any serious competitors shooting minor.

You can be competitive with minor, except in the higher classes. Cutting for moon clips costs about $100 and the Moon Clips will set you back quite a bit also. But if you go the Speed Loader route, you'll want something like modified Safariland Comp III's. Find Bubber on this Forum. You can also go to http://4wheelguns.com/index.html and check out some of the blogs there.

If you are serious about it you can get a Holster, I use a Blade Tech cut down half way in the front and worn in the same spot as my Production, SS rigs or you could go with a CR or double Alpha (might try a search as I think a CR can be adapted to Revo with some adaptors) and if you go with a North Mountain Moon Clip Holder you can use the same rig for .45 (just tell Bob what you want). Those are the 2 most expensive items and will do well for you if you decide to upgrade at a later date.

To summarize it the current competitive Revo is a .45acp 625. You can do well and have fun with others, but it is much harder to maximize your performance. But Revo Division is a blast!

Edited by pskys2

We now have 3 Revos at our local match. I shoot major and the other shoot minor (1- 625, 1- 686 & a Ruger). I have see it written and heard it said that to win shooting Minor, you have to shoot ALL As as fast or faster than the folks shooting Major. I would think that if there was an advantage to shooting Minor, the top guys would be doing it. Doesn't mean you can't have fun w/what you've got, w/a few mods.

If you're still interested in shooting your Ruger, one of the guys shoots a Ruger in 357 (can't remember the model). He uses a Blade Tec holster and an Austin moon clip server. Cylinder has been cut for moons, obviously. He is loading 38 Short Colts.

Hope this helps. It's fun to watch the flat gunners watch us try to get groups of 6 out of arrays of 4 targets.

For USPSA Revolver, I'd say save your money and find a 5" 625 or 25-2. While you're looking, you can dick around with your GP100 and shoot up your supply of .38 ammo.

Edited by Carmoney

+1 on the ICORE club.

If you look at their website (ICORE.ORG), you can shoot pretty much any combo you have in one of their categories (Limited, Classic, Open). Six-shooters with speedloaders in Classic, 6 or more (moon clips OK) with no glass or ports in Limited, and pretty much anything goes in Open.

That said, the overwhelming majority shoot S&W. The 8-shot 627 will serve you well in Limited or Open, but whatever you have will work until you get the bug for more.