Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle

It is my plan to buy an eagle over the next couple of months to shoot idea and uspsa. However I am looking for a gun that is "different". I've never been one to be a sheep. I was looking at the tri-top and then having it ion bonded. But, before I pull the trigger does anyone know of any other options I should entertain?

Thanks,

Lee

Well, since you want to be able to use in IDPA (I assume that's what you meant), you'll be somewhat limited in the customization you can do. On my IDPA-legal Eagle, I had it flat-topped, had the grip stipled pretty agressively (work by Matt Cheely) and then added a stainless steel STI magwell - which was cut by a friend to fit in the IDPA box. Also added a flat SVI trigger.

I suppose you could have the grip painted by someone if you wanted to add some color or something to the gun.

awesome thanks guys. I have a custom magwell already. I think it was done by cheely as a matter of fact. And yes I was looking for an all purpose gun. The oak hill tri top is the one I am looking at. I just didnt know if there were any other options.

I have a 9mm bushing gun I picked up recently. It is the second Eagle I have bought new.

My advice is buy from someone like Brazos, Dawson or Freedom and have them go through the pistol. I bet Bobby @ Freedom could do the tri-top and refinish you want.

The factory does not ship what I consider a competition ready gun. Bob, Dave & Bobby know how to take it and make it range ready.

This might help if you're thinking about buying a stock Eagle then having it tri-topped later.

http://www.freedomgunworks.com/services.html Scroll down to the part about tri-topping.

If you have it built from parts, you can order the slide tri-topped with the dovetails cut to the right dimensions from STI or some place like Dawsons or Shooters Connection. (My uneducated guess is they cut the dovetails after they tri-top it).

+1 to all the comments about the STI Eagle. Love mine. Not sheep-ish.

It is my understanding that you can do custom mill work to the slide as long as it is not considered slide lightening. I've seen several one of a kind custom 2011's at major IDPA matches. We have a guy locally that does some really nice custom machining on 1911 and 2011's that are still IDPA legal. He does custom serations, different kinds of cosmetic cutts on top of the slide, and some cosmetic cuts on the frame. I think it is even legal to do a Hi-Power cut on the slide. With a little work you can definitely make your gun one of a kind.

Edited by tk2

His name is Mike Cusanelli, but I think he only does a little work for guys he knows, as he is not a full time gunsmith. If you ask around, I'm sure there must be some guys in your area that can do similar work.

an Eagle? I havent looked there. was looking oak hill and dawson so far. I will go look now

It wouldn't be an Eagle, it would be exactly what you design. Most of the parts are interchangable with most double stack STIs, but the gun will be what you specify, down to the serial number.

just worried about getting it overcut. thanks for the info

Keep in mind that idpa is in the process of updating its rule book and the new rules should be out in the next few months. If you are planning on doing anything that skirts the edges of the rules envelope you might want to hold off until the new rules are released.

just worried about getting it overcut. thanks for the info

Keep in mind that idpa is in the process of updating its rule book and the new rules should be out in the next few months. If you are planning on doing anything that skirts the edges of the rules envelope you might want to hold off until the new rules are released.

thats a good idea because I want to shoot idpa with this as well as uspsa