Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a recipe using n320

BDD

Any advantage using this N320 over say more common typical 45acp powders? Examples Bullseye, Unique, 231, SomethingDot,

Or is it more a case of

using what one has in time of shortage?

My buddies are telling me it is supposed to be a cleaner powder than the wst. And I am new to reloading and want to try a few different powders. I am going to try some 200 gr bullets in the future, if I can ever find any.

Any advantage using this N320 over say more common typical 45acp powders? Examples Bullseye, Unique, 231, SomethingDot,

Or is it more a case of

using what one has in time of shortage?

I don't think so personally; not any cleaner than most in my experience (even though many swear by it). Only reason I still use it, is I still have quite a bit of it. Once it's gone, probably won't buy it again. I actually like the recoil impulse of WSF better, and it is more accurate for me in my pistol. But also like 231 and Unique. There really is no magic powder, but some do work better than others in different pistols and each person has their preference.

Clays powder is very clean in 45 ACP just like N-320 at half the price and a lower charge weight ( 4.0 gr with a 230 gr FMJ RN at 1.245 OAL makes 168 PF). It also meters extremely well in Dillon machines.

Yeah, I am going to give clays a try also. The powder is the cheapest thing in the assembly, so vv or clays doesn't really bother me when it is ~$0.005 per round difference.

My buddies are telling me it is supposed to be a cleaner powder than the wst. And I am new to reloading and want to try a few different powders. I am going to try some 200 gr bullets in the future, if I can ever find any.

it's worth a try. my experience with n320 and 200gr bullets is I had to go past the max loads to reliably make major so I switched to 230gr. I eventually settled on clay's with 230gr. The recoil impulse is noticeably softer to me compared to n320 at the same pf.

• 2 weeks later...

N310 is a better powder for .45 IMHO. You will use a lot less too (3.9 for my Bayou 230s).

• 1 month later...

A bit late, but for what it is worth and only to corroberate other posts:

Zero 230gr JHP

4.9gr N320 @ 1.225" OAL

Made PF in my PT1911 with Springfield barrel, but not with the Taurus barrel (bore measured at 0.451")

I felt that this was softer (easier to follow-up) than my 5.2gr N320 load behind a 200gr LSWC @1.250"

• 4 weeks later...