Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide mounted optic

Steve Moneypenny

thinking of tossing a slide mounted red-dot on my spare G17 and shooting a little open with it and full cap mags, i want it to fit my production holster. will this work on most glocks and which sight is cheapest and somewhat reliable. I will be shooting all major matches and matches that i can't reshoot in produciton but when i can. i'll play in open.

Opinions and experience needed;-)

Steve, I put an Optima 2000 on my 17 with a KKM barrel and comp. I had no problems with the Optima exept for, Brass hitting the sight. (Bad ejecter) But the sight held up just fine. Never lost zero in changing batteries or any other problems with it. Good luck, John

A couple of guys I shoot pins with swear the J Point is THE stuff.

They have them mounted on a couple of Glocks, and a 45-70 pistol.

If these guys can't break them with their 45-70 pistol loads they must be tough !

Travis F.

I've never had an issue with getting oil on the scope while either firing the gun or cleaning it. The only problem I have run into has been the following:

A: Dead Battery (Carry Spares)

B: Dinged housing Caused by spent brass hitting housing due to the use of powder puff loads. (Cosmetic Issue)

Steve, from what I have seen on Glocks, I'd say use a Doctor. optima just takes a pounding and doesn't seem to hold up...can't speak for jpoints.

When I go open, I'm looking more at a Carver mount and a c-more...just can't warm up to those slide mounted optics....

I've started experimenting with a used Optima on my 35. It seems to hold a zero ok so far. I'm really only planning on shooting minor loads with it, we'll see how it holds up. So far I like it and so do my kids.

TomB

I have fired thousands of rounds on my Glock (17) Open Major 9x19 that has a Docter sight installed. It has held it's zero and aside from replacing a battery no problems. I liked it so much that I have purchased two more.

My experience with the Tasco Optima which is now being sold under the name of JPoint was not as good I had one on an SV and I would have to carry a spare since when I least expected it would go on the blink.

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from the reliability issue, anyone have a preference for the slide mount vs. frame mount for usability? Do you loose sight of the slide mounted dot? Is it better to have the dot close to the bore? Any other pros or cons or preferences?

now that i have tried this i can say i like it a lot, it moves faster than me ... a lot.. and i thought i was quick... ( i really am for a production shooter)

with true minor (147 and heavier) b ullets, the dot doesn't leave the glass. now with Win white b ox it does. brass has put a couple dings in my glass though :-( less spring i guess. that or more powder.

pro dot is a 8th at the most higher than my dawson irons... reliablity... i think it weigh's about the same as the dawson if you factor in my missing front sight on that gun. it's just as reliable as my productoin glock if not more so. (identical glock 17)