Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help designing a TechWear shirt

It's the start of the new season and I have the need to design a TechWear shirt. I've been reading the website FAQ's and Art Tutorial and I'm still behind the curve.

What is Vector format and how do you convert JPEG or similar formats to it? Is there a preferred program to use when desiging the shirt? Anything hidden or not obvious I need to think about?

Thanks for any info as I never did so well in art in college or grade school!

I don't know if you are set on Techwear but there is a custom shirt option from Gemini shirts that makes designing the shirt really easy. It is really cool. http://g2gemini.com They have a jersey gallery and if you go through the "create a custom jersey" option they have a lot of suggestions. Their website says "Upload Vector Logos for best quality (.AI, .EPS, .SVG, or .PDF) Some PSD and TIFF files will print ok if saved at higher resolution Internet graphics will not print well (.JPG, .GIF, .PNG)" They even offer the service of changing over formats for you for a charge. I am not a computer guru but it is my understanding that Vector files are a type of very high quality digital image. You have to have special software to convert images (depending on the type of the original file) and it is my understanding if you do convert you may lose quality. I would check out the program at Gemini and then maybe contact them about logos you are interested in. It is my guess that they probably have a large amount of high quality shooting related logos at their access.

Also if you use the code rudy13 you get 10% off.

Edited by monicataliani

I don't know if you are set on Techwear but there is a custom shirt option from Gemini shirts that makes designing the shirt really easy. It is really cool. http://g2gemini.com They have a jersey gallery and if you go through the "create a custom jersey" option they have a lot of suggestions. Their website says "Upload Vector Logos for best quality (.AI, .EPS, .SVG, or .PDF) Some PSD and TIFF files will print ok if saved at higher resolution Internet graphics will not print well (.JPG, .GIF, .PNG)" They even offer the service of changing over formats for you for a charge. I am not a computer guru but it is my understanding that Vector files are a type of very high quality digital image. You have to have special software to convert images (depending on the type of the original file) and it is my understanding if you do convert you may lose quality. I would check out the program at Gemini and then maybe contact them about logos you are interested in. It is my guess that they probably have a large amount of high quality shooting related logos at their access.

Looks quite easy to use. May end up going with them. But still looking for other options

FWIW my shirt is a Gemini and I'm very happy with the fit and appearance. I didn't have to design it though.

I like the idea that they deliver about 3 weeks. And the website is a good bit easier to work than the TechWear.

I have worn Tech Wear shirts for years and this year the Rudy Team changed to Gemini. The quality and fit of the Gemini is much better in my opinion. The colors are much more vibrant and print is more legible from a distance. Must wash with no fabric softener and put it on a hanger. Do not put it in the drier.

Don't be swayed by shooters who are sponsored by one brand over another. I'm sure they are all good shirts but TechWear is a huge promoter of USPSA. They sponsor several matches. They are a sponsor for this years Ohio State Match and have been very easy to work with. I often run into Sue Irish from TW when I travel to other matches and she is always willing to stop and talk about shirts and answer any questions.

Pick one and wear it. They all pretty much serve the same purpose but TechWear should be at the top of any shooter's shirt list.

Edited by Sarge

Sounds a heck of a lot like TechWear's options if you ask me. They use vector, etc.. They will convert for a fee. TW has a rather large listing of logos on file as well.

I've had both. Gemini and Techwearusa. I don't know if Gemini changed their fabric but the one I feel looks good but feels like wearing a garbage bag. Doesn't breathe at all.

I've never designed anything. I'd just call Techwearusa and tell them what you want. They work with you to get whatever you need.

Don't be swayed by shooters who are sponsored by one brand over another. I'm sure they are all good shirts but TechWear is a huge promoter of USPSA. They sponsor several matches. They are a sponsor for this years Ohio State Match and have been very easy to work with. I often run into Sue Irish from TW when I travel to other matches and she is always willing to stop and talk about shirts and answer any questions.

Pick one and wear it. They all pretty much serve the same purpose but TechWear should be at the top of any shooter's shirt list.

I've heard Sue is very easy to work with. I will cal tomorrow and see what happens.

I've had both. Gemini and Techwearusa. I don't know if Gemini changed their fabric but the one I feel looks good but feels like wearing a garbage bag. Doesn't breathe at all.

I've never designed anything. I'd just call Techwearusa and tell them what you want. They work with you to get whatever you need.

I highly doubt its like wearing a garbage bag. While one may be better than the other, I started here to grab different opinions. And honestly I'll go with the better customer service compared to price.

The ones I have don't breathe at all. They feel slick and when they get sweaty on the inside downright slimy. They heat up a lot faster then cotton or Techwearusa. They feel a lot like a garbage bag to me. Again I don't know if they changed their fabric or if I got a bad set. I'd almost bet that's the case or they wouldn't be popular at all.

Vector is a high resolution format used frequently in Adobe Illustrator. Vector images can be enlarged or reduced without losing detail. A file with a dot extension, .EPS will be vector. Most of us can't open those files, we don't have the software. Someone with Illustrator can work with your existing files to convert them to a vector. BUT (you knew there was one) if you have a 72 dpi JPEG that's 4" long, there might not be enough information there to make a good vector image. A 40" wide, JPEG, better. We have both vector and jpeg images of our logo, I'd bet most other companies do too. Worth asking.

JD, I have been working with Joe from Techwearusa designing a new shirt. All I can say is that from the get go he has been nothing but a pleasure to work with. I can't compare with any other companies but I can't imagine customer service being any better

JD, I have been working with Joe from Techwearusa designing a new shirt. All I can say is that from the get go he has been nothing but a pleasure to work with. I can't compare with any other companies but I can't imagine customer service being any better

I talked to Joe this morning. He made the intimidating task of designing a shirt very easy. And like you said, he was a pleasure to work with. I'm pretty sure TechWear will be getting my business.

Edited by jdknotts1

I talked to Joe this morning. He made the intimidating task of designing a shirt very easy. And like you said, he was a pleasure to work with. I'm pretty sure TechWear will be getting my business.

That's the spirit!