Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag change timing?

shane8168

Hello, I'm new here and brand new to pistol shooting in general.

I'm trying to get better at USPSA type events.

My goal right now is to get my mag changes and trigger control figured out with dry fire/mag change drills.

I was doing this today, Draw, dry fire once, mag change, dry fire once, mag change and dry fire once. My times ranged from 6.26 seconds when I was careless with the aim to 7.56 consistently with careful sight acquisition and aim. Most runs fell somewhere in between.

What kind of times should I be looking for?

Other suggestions for a new guy?

You have a lot of room for improvement but as a newer shooter, get those hits. You cannot miss fast enough to make up for those poor hits. Keep practicing and you times will come down.

Not knowing what gear you are using, no one can really tell you what your time should be,but head to YouTube and you can find some examples of fast draws/reloads.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Generally, about 1 second is doable with a production type gun. This is measured from shot to shot on a close range (7 yards or so) yarget.

If you are looking to get good, push yourself to the limit during dryfire. Get a video of it and then post it up so other people can take a look at it. Refine your technique. Repeat.

My friend just told me about training mags that he heard of. I haven't had time to look into it yet but it's sparked my interest. I guess they are weighted mags to resemble grabbing and loading a full mag. I know doing mag drills at home, if I get complacent ill handle the lighter mag funny and not hit the magwell good.

http://benstoeger.myonlineplace.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=184:15-minute-dry-fire-program&catid=46:dry-fire-training-program&Itemid=64

I do this.

I compete in single stack for USPSA and I had my third match last weekend.

I do this for about an hour instead of just 15 minutes and I haven't had any reloads during matches that has e given me a hang up. All my hang ups are during practice and I do the drills again until EYE (emphasis on me) am satisfied with MY performance.

I do them at 10-12 yards and my target is the size of the A zone at that range. It's convenient that I have this setup in the house using nothing other than stuff hanging on the wall. It's a benefit of a single bedroom apartment.

At this weekends matching w able to watch the production guys I shot with draw and fire and I could see the timer. I saw a couple 1.59 so I feel that practice, not new gear, will help me plus its free and kills a lot of time when I could have idle hands.

Generally, about 1 second is doable with a production type gun. This is measured from shot to shot on a close range (7 yards or so) yarget.

If you are looking to get good, push yourself to the limit during dryfire. Get a video of it and then post it up so other people can take a look at it. Refine your technique. Repeat.

just to confirm, A hit from low ready or on target, followed by reload and another A hit?

Dry fire and Reload practice are good things, they teach you to handle the firearm surely. Remember though to focus on technique not speed. It takes thousands of repetitions to ingrain an activity into muscle memory. Only then can you start looking for speed.

Don't forget to add some movement, on occasion, into your reload practice. Set yourself a couple of aiming points, light switches etc..., and practice a draw, shot, move while reloading and shot. Work on not only smooth draws, movement and reload but on MUZZLE Control and trigger finger placement. Start slow and as you get to that point it feels smooth, throw in a few speedier attempts.

Remember you don't need a 1 second draw, a perfect score or even the highest hit factor. You just need .1 faster, 1 point more or .01 HF more than your opposition.

Not to be a Harpie, but:

Don't forget the Safety Rules, know your target and what's behind it. I've known world class competitors with new TV's for forgetting a simple step! With a 1911/2011 I actually remove the Firing Pin and Stop and slip in a piece of Leather to absorb the hammer fall. With my Revolver I NEVER have any live ammo anywhere. It's so easy to make a slip and the price is horrendous.

Edited by pskys2

just to confirm, A hit from low ready or on target, followed by reload and another A hit?

Shot to shot.... so it will be 1 second from the moment a shot breaks to the moment you break the shot after reloading.

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago when I trained with J. Michael Plaxco he gave me this advice that applies to both the draw and the reload. "As a new shooter move your hands at your natural rhythm. The best way to know your natural rhythm is to think of the speed you reach to answer a telephone." Start there, you can become faster as you gain new muscle memory. And as it has been said here many times "Smooth is Fast."

That advice and learning the rules of the game moved me from D to high B in about six months. Of course I was in my 20's then I have no idea how long it will take me to move up after a 20 year break.