Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SX3 for wife, questions

Matt W

The wife looked at the VM and a SX3 today and preferred the SX3 over the VM. So, are the SX3's still a viable option for 3 gun? I've done some researching and it looks like other than a few Nordic goodies I'll need to open the loading port and get the piston sealed. I'd rather her get a VM, but hey she shoots so if she wants it, I can't say no, lol

Any suggestions on mod's for the SX3 are welcome to.

SX3 is a very viable choice...IMHO. Ive been running mine for 3 yrs now and it keeps getting better and better. Happy to share the mods Ive made if you're interested.

Sure, feel free to PM me with the mods.

They are fine shotguns. First, get the stock fit for her. Properly fit stocks beat you up less. Second, don't seal the piston, bad advice! It increases recoil and is harder on the gun. Keep the bolt locked back when in the safe and cycle it often. The recoil springs are real stiff and need some softening. After 1k rounds or so you will be ably to cycle light target loads, just takes patience to get there. Open loading port and weld lifter nose and it will be easier to load.

Edited by MarkCO

They are fine shotguns. First, get the stock fit for her. Properly fit stocks beat you up less. Second, don't seal the piston, bad advice! It increases recoil and is harder on the gun. Keep the bolt locked back when in the safe and cycle it often. The recoil springs are real stiff and need some softening. After 1k rounds or so you will be ably to cycle light target loads, just takes patience to get there. Open loading port and weld lifter nose and it will be easier to load.

Any tips on fitting the stock? And the one I can get now as opposed to waiting has a 28" barrel on it, so I'll have to get it trimmed down or find a shorter one. I know the SLP barrels fit I just need to locate one.

I cut off no more than 0.7", then put on grind to fit and grind it. Can take off just about 1" this way. Then you may have to change the cheek weld as well. There are some threads on here about shortening SLP stocks.

Why do you need an enlarged safety? While some think a larger safety (to off) is faster, if you test it, it really is insignificant. Enlarging the safety ON button, which no one does, makes a lot more sense. That is a bigger time saver when transitoning.

I think you may find that the SLP barrels are much heavier.I had Briley trim mine to 24" and install their thin wall choke system. Sucks to be out of "Inv +", but I felt that was a small price to get the gun more in line with what I want it to do.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Just didnt want to make a mistake and have to mess around sending something back.

Not a 100% certain but I believe it should be the +6 that is more or less flush with a 26" barrel.

My math, +4 is flush with a 22" and +5 with a 24". So +6 should be close to a 26" barrel.

Well the Shotty showed up, Nordic goodies will be here next week. Does anyone have any good clean pics of a opened up

loading port on the SX3 specifically? I've seen the FN's, but none of an SX3 to compare.

Well the Shotty showed up, Nordic goodies will be here next week. Does anyone have any good clean pics of a opened up

loading port on the SX3 specifically? I've seen the FN's, but none of an SX3 to compare.

Hi all, been shooting an SX3 in the UK for 18 mths now and love it but thinking of opening up the loading port to help with a switch to the load 2 method, so any pics would be appreciated by me too.

Cheers

Chris