Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outlaw revolver match at Rio Salado on Sunday Feb 17th

Posted here even before it goes out to the Rio Salado email list:

Revolver shooters: Help us show the world how 8 shot minor would fare in USPSA!

Next Sunday (Feb 17th) after the RMAP match at Rio Salado the stages will remain up so revolver shooters can shoot the match with guns that aren't currently allowed in USPSA's Revolver division. There is some talk of USPSA allowing 8 shot minor in the future and we're looking to gather data with guns that meet all the current Revolver criteria except for that pesky 6 shot limit, and minor PF only. If you have 6 shot major and 8 shot minor guns we encourage you to shoot both, but even if you just have an outlaw gun or just have a legal revolver we still want you. If you don't have an iron sight gun we'll also allow Open Revolver (major or minor, no capacity restrictions) just for fun.

Shooters with guns that are allowed under current USPSA rules will shoot the main match in the morning. Then we'll run the HiCap guns in the afternoon. If you normally sign up in another division to shoot your 8 shot revolver consider waiting until the afternoon and shooting in Revolver so all revolver shooters are counted. For the main match in the morning DO NOT sign up in Revolver division unless you are using a gun currently legal in USPSA Revolver division. The morning results will be submitted to USPSA so we need to follow the rules.

Normal match fees apply to your first entry. If you shoot a second gun it will be free. We anticipate a 1:00pm start for the afternoon outlaw portion but the exact time depends on when the morning match finishes, so there is the chance of a later start.

For ICORE shooters, remember that USPSA major PF is 165 and minor is 125. Please make an effort to make the power factor you declare to ensure that the scores are valid.

The goal of this match is for the iron sight guns, and get info on them. They just decided to to allow the optics/ports if the shooter insist on shooting a open revo. The open revos data will be omitted. Me personally, I feel that they should shoot in open division, and not in revo division. we are trying to take little steps here to get the 8 shot allowed.

The morning match will be for the 6 shot revolvers (major or minor) and the afternoon will be for the 8 shot revolvers. and the afternoon scores will not be submitted to USPSA for scores. I'm hoping the Steve Leach does not baby up the match just for the revo's and he makes it a normal Rio match that is geared for the hi-cap blasters.

there was some talk about trying to run a 8 shot in the morning, but the fear of firing the 7th shot was there, which would bump you to open.

The goal of this match is for the iron sight guns, and get info on them. They just decided to to allow the optics/ports if the shooter insist on shooting a open revo. The open revos data will be omitted. Me personally, I feel that they should shoot in open division, and not in revo division. we are trying to take little steps here to get the 8 shot allowed.

The morning match will be for the 6 shot revolvers (major or minor) and the afternoon will be for the 8 shot revolvers. and the afternoon scores will not be submitted to USPSA for scores. I'm hoping the Steve Leach does not baby up the match just for the revo's and he makes it a normal Rio match that is geared for the hi-cap blasters.

there was some talk about trying to run a 8 shot in the morning, but the fear of firing the 7th shot was there, which would bump you to open.

Then just shoot sign up in the morning as Open, or Limited, or L-10. Hit factor is hit factor is hit factor. Comparing mean cumulative hit factors between the two types of revolvers will be easier too.

As I mentioned on another forum, there is no way to account for the practice effects of the 8 shot minor guys who will be shooting that afternoon, after having already shot (practiced?) their 625's that morning.

In an ideal world, some or half of the revo guys would shoot their 627's in the morning, and then shoot their 625's in the afternoon. Counterbalancing is what that is called.

If you're trying to draw legitimate conclusions about anything and convince the PTB at USPSA HQ to allow 8 shot revolvers in the revolver division, it would help if your testing and statistical methods were both valid and reliable. As you have things set up now there is now way to attribute 8 shot revolver scores being better because of practice effects or being worse because of fatigue effects. It is a confounding issue.

This is a serious next step, good luck on turnout. If a second run does skew any results, I don't think it will due to the difference in attacking the courses, it may be towards the 8 shots. But without this step, all else is pretty much just hot air.

Plus Rio Salado should have a large enough participation to be a valid exercise.