Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion square deal inconsistant COL

I have been working on improving the repeatability of my XDm 9 without much luck. One of the things I have noticed is that while reloading PD 124 JHP bullets that the COL is varying as much as 7 or 8 thousandths. I have tried both seating dies that came with the press with no real improvement. Is this creating a problem with accuracy or am I just being anal?

Thanks,

zdog

I load 9mm major with a SqD and get most of the OAL's within +/- 0.004",

but some do slip as much as 0.006".

Worse, I just experimented with my reloads and found that the cycling

action of the gun (stripping rounds from the mag into the chamber)

have reduced rounds that measured 1.165" to 1.150" quite frequently,

and occasionally even shorter. :surprise:

Apparently this is because we SqD users cannot use special dies

which are designed to reduce the size of cartridge cases during the

reloading cycle - especially true with CCI, Blazer & FC cases.

I haven't noticed any loss of accuracy, though. Have you? :cheers:

Yes.....and I am trying to track down the cause. Not much luck on any 9mm that I shoot. XDm, CZ75 and BHP.

Do folks that use a 550 or such notice the same variation in COL I wonder.

zdog

Edited by zdog

Just FYI, this will happen with factory made ammo as well; it's not limited to SDB users. If you carry, check your defensive rounds if you eject them before practice and reload them after. They definately get shorter.

I just got back in to reloading after a few years off. I think most of my rounds were in the +/-.002 range, but I found a couple that were +.005 or so.

I have an SDB and my OAL is consistant within +/- .003 range in all my pistol calibers.

I occasionally get an oddball but then I remember who is working the press. :blush:

I just make sure I stroke the handle from limit to limit at a consistant speed.

I am fairly new to this but I was thrilled with .003.

I have an SDB and my OAL is consistant within +/- .003 range in all my pistol calibers.

I occasionally get an oddball but then I remember who is working the press. :blush:

I just make sure I stroke the handle from limit to limit at a consistant speed.

I am fairly new to this but I was thrilled with .003.

I would be happy with that number as well but unfortunately it is not to be. I have been thinking about numbering the slots in the turn table to see if they correspond to differing COLs. I know "turn table" is not the correct term but doesn't appear to be a high quality part.

Anyone happen to know why Dillion isn't answering their phone these days btw?

zdog

Edited by zdog

After re-reading your post the light bulb turned on. +/- .004 turns into .008 which is what I am experiencing.

zdog

That seems a little high to me. I see considerably less. I'm assuming the "dies" are clean?

Yes the dies are clean. The SD is less than a precision machine IMHO. Right now I believe that the irregular surface of the PD JHP may have something to do with it as well as any variation in the different stations of the shell holder.

zdog

A few things come to mind. Are you using case lube? Lubing cases makes the handle pull easier and more uniform. Are you sorting brass? Using mixed brass could cause inconsistency. Try loading a batch with sorted brass. Are you checking rounds regularly during loading? Starting and stopping the press can cause inconsistency. Set up your press and load 100 without stopping. Check that your shell plate bolt is snug. My square deal loads very consistent OAL's.

New to the forum and the subject. Have I not seem the same issue expressed for the 550B? One response advises that the SDB does not have a die to reduce the size of the case. Is the 550B superior in that respect? I was planning to get and SDB as i will be reloading only 9mm pistol and like auto indexing. Pardon if this is a dumb question.

New to the forum and the subject. Have I not seem the same issue expressed for the 550B? One response advises that the SDB does not have a die to reduce the size of the case. Is the 550B superior in that respect? I was planning to get and SDB as i will be reloading only 9mm pistol and like auto indexing. Pardon if this is a dumb question.

If you have the money and plan on being in the shooting sports for awhile get the 550. If I had a chance to do it again I would buy the 550 instead of the SD. I was only interested in pistol reloading since I had all the stuff to do rifle reloads already. I don't know if I got a lemon or not but I am very glad that Dillon has the no BS warranty. After reading the above posts I think I may be expecting too much from this press with regards to accuracy. COL (cartridge overall Length) consistency is important but within limits I guess.

Good luck,

zdog

A few things come to mind. Are you using case lube? Lubing cases makes the handle pull easier and more uniform. Are you sorting brass? Using mixed brass could cause inconsistency. Try loading a batch with sorted brass. Are you checking rounds regularly during loading? Starting and stopping the press can cause inconsistency. Set up your press and load 100 without stopping. Check that your shell plate bolt is snug. My square deal loads very consistent OAL's.

Sorting the brass is a good idea if I am trying to improve the repeatability. I think I will do that for the next batch I try out.

Thanks,

zdog

Edited by zdog

There are no dumb questions. The SDB does have a resizing die. However, you must use the proprietary dies for this press. If you're trying to resize bulged brass you'll have problems with any Dillon die. You'll need to use an undersize die. I try not to collect brass behind someone shooting 9 major. The SDB has worked great for me.

I have loaded allot of 9mm on my Dillon SDB. Generally the only time I see a large difference in OAL is when I dont have the shell plate full, such as starting, and stopping a loading session. 4 pieces of brass in 4 stations is very consistent.

As sroe3 mentioned, sorting cases by brand may help. That said, my newly-acquired (previously owned) SDB is just as consistent as my 550B. Typically less than .003" variation, even with mixed headstamps.

I have an extra shell plate. I think I will swap it and give things another try.

zdog

As sroe3 mentioned, sorting cases by brand may help. That said, my newly-acquired (previously owned) SDB is just as consistent as my 550B. Typically less than .003" variation, even with mixed headstamps.

I have an extra shell plate. I think I will swap it and give things another try.

zdog

Changing the shell plate did not help. I guess I need to stop by Dillon's store in Phoenix and have a chat with the folks there. I have been trying to call tech support for the last week and they haven't been answering their phone.

zdog

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the SDB for over 10 years, to load 9mm and .45 ACP. The OAL is quite consistent, probably less than +/- 4 mils over a session of several hundred. There is one major cause of inconsistent length. Have you checked the cleanliness of the seating die? Buildup of shaved lead or lube will cause major errors in OAL.

As for change of OAL with cycling in the pistol, I'd suggest checking the adjustment of the crimping die.

As for change of OAL with cycling in the pistol, I'd suggest checking the adjustment of the crimping die.

The crimping doesn't affect bullet setback. It's actually the sizing die that matters.

Lots of 9mm reloaders use special dies that "undersize" the cases - but we SqD users don't

have that option - we're stuck with Dillon SqD dies. But, I haven't seen that it matters too

much, so far - maybe I'm wrong though - we'll see :cheers:

Before this craziness I was going to contact dillon and see if they could manufacture some undersized dies for the sdb but never got around to it. Now they have a really full plate. Not happening.

As another SDB user, I kind of wondered why they didnt offer different dies as well.

It is a very popular press, you would think Dillon, or another manufacturer would offer undersized dies.

Great advice. I found that when setting up my COAL it was helpful to fill the other slots in the shell plate with empty cases. Gives a "real world" measurement. I think I learned that trick here too.

• 1 month later...

Zdog

As you observed Blazer and FC brass are the culprit with inconcistent OAL. The brass isn't as thick as other manf's and just doesnt resize down like other brass. You may find like I did that when you load these cases that neck tension isn't adequate either and you can push the bullet in a finished round back into the case causing setback. Inconsistent OAL is also a problem on my 4 hole classic turret using the brass mentioned. There doesn't seem to be the setback issues when loaded on the Lee though.

I have a U (indersize) resizing die on back order so will just save this brass until it comes in and I need it.

I hope this helps

OG03