Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex FSS or CAEK for Limited M&P 40 Pro build

Bobwat

I am building an M&P 40 Pro for Limited Major and have a question about the Apex FSS trigger kit. I currently shoot Production using a M&P Pro 9mm and have the CAEK with RAM installed. I am wondering if it would be better to install the CAEK with RAM on the new Limited build, since I am still going to shoot Production at times with my 9mm, or would it be better to install the FSS kit on my new limited gun? Not sure how much difference the FSS would make. Also, if I go with the FSS kit do I still need to add competition springs to get the trigger pull down? The Apex website says 4-5 pound trigger pull for the FSS kit. I have listed what I have done or planning on doing to my limited build below. Please let me know if you see anything I am missing or anything that you would suggest changing. Thanks in advance,

M&P Pro 40S&W 5"

Apex CAEK or FSS with RAM

13# recoil spring on 5" SSS Tungston Guide Rod

Dan Burwell sharkskin backstrap

Tac Grip on the remainder of the grip

SSS Limited Black Brass magwell (if they ever get them back in stock), or an SJC magwell if not

4 Taran Tactical +5 Base Pads with ISMI +10% springs

Warren Tactical Fixed Black Rear Sight with .150 notch

Dawson Precision Fiber Front Sight (.180T x .125 w)

Ready Tactical DOH holster

Would like an Costa Extended Mag Release button but cannot find one anywhere

The Costa Mag Release button turned out to be an Epic Fail. There were design flaws where people were having mags not seat correctly or having mags drop on their own. The TTI pads are awesome able to get 20 reloadable and you can easily take them apart to run a brush through in between stages. I have the SJC and the SSS, I prefer the SSS. The SJC does not have that good of a transition from magwell to weapon, the SSS is a better piece of kit hands down.

Edited by mike821504

I went with the FSS on my 5" Pro 40 and the competition spring set. I installed a RAM but took it out. I also am using the factory sear spring. My trigger pull is about 2 1/4 lbs. I have a similar setup in my M&P open gun and it's pull weight is a closer to 2 lbs. I think you need to be careful with having a 'dead trigger' problem when using the FSS is the reason for not using the RAM and for using the factory sear spring.

I tried the FSS in my .40 and was never happy with it. If I used the recommended springs the pull was too stiff and if I used the comp springs I had dead trigger issues. Plus I never liked the feel of the FSS trigger. Ended up taking it out and going with the CAEK. My .40 had the thumb safety so no ram.

I'm waiting on an ESP magwell. My 9mm Pro plays double duty in Ltd and ESP. If you're talking Ltd only, definitely get the Ltd magwell. I don't have enough experience to have a preference between aluminum or brass. I have to go with aluminum for ESP. Brass should definitely give a bit more weight on the bottom of the gun. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Seems like it could be quite out of balance. Maybe not?

I have the limited aluminum on my 40 and the ESP aluminum on my 9 and I am not entirely certain that I can tell the difference between speed and feel of them. The limited gives the gun a little more prop up when doing table starts and is definitely more forgiving of sloppy reloads; but I have found that a sloppy reload is slow regardless of how much the magwell accommodates it. All that said; if money isn't an issue and you can get it, go with the limited black brass the added weight will balance out the polymer gun and the larger funnel will give a little more cushion for reloads.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the FSS trigger on both of my comp guns. (9mm Pro and .45FS) The difference is amazing.

I let a buddy shoot my .45 and he commented the trigger was better than his Springer 1911. It has very little pre-travel, a clean break, and no over-travel. WELL worth the money IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried the FSS in my .40 and was never happy with it. If I used the recommended springs the pull was too stiff and if I used the comp springs I had dead trigger issues. Plus I never liked the feel of the FSS trigger. Ended up taking it out and going with the CAEK. My .40 had the thumb safety so no ram.

+1 on using CAEK. I also tried FSS but took it out for the same reasons.

Thanks for the

+1 on using CAEK. I also tried FSS but took it out for the same reasons.

Thanks for the info. I actually ordered the CAEK, with the AEK trigger and the RAM earlier in the week. Can't wait to get it in and installed. Also got a ESP aluminum magwell from SSS a month or so ago. They now have the black brass limited magwells in stock. I wish that I would waited and got one of those. I wonder if the additional weight and the limited size would help. I still want to get the 5" tungsten guide rod and a 13 lb and 15 lb spring to see which one I like best. Also have 4 of the Taran Tactical mag extensions. Almost ready to go!

Im using the CAEK with the AEK trigger in a new open div project. I use the CAEK in my production gun. If a light trigger is what you're after the CAEK is the way to go. If you're looking for less pretravel go with the FSS. Being one who is used to firing striker fired weapons a little pre travel doesn't bother me, I like a light trigger and the CAEK accomplishes that 100%.

Im using the CAEK with the AEK trigger in a new open div project. I use the CAEK in my production gun. If a light trigger is what you're after the CAEK is the way to go. If you're looking for less pretravel go with the FSS. Being one who is used to firing striker fired weapons a little pre travel doesn't bother me, I like a light trigger and the CAEK accomplishes that 100%.

+1! The aluminum trigger is a little too stiff for me.

I installed both the CAEK and the AEK aluminum trigger today. I think I'm going back to my standard trigger bar. The AEK trigger feels toyish to me and doesn't accomplish that same light feel that just the CAEK does on its own. Just my two cents.