Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Glide and 1911's

Lobonca

I use it on all my guns too, just be careful when it gets cold. If you clean the gun, slide glide it, then go shoot below about 45°, you'll likely have problems. If you clean, slide glide it, and get to shoot 100 rounds, you'll be good to about 25°. It thins out after it gets a little burnt powder in it. You don't need much either, just a thin coat.

Been using it for years on 1911's.. Just had a Les Baer rebuilt with around 90k on it ,with slide glide on it from the 1st shot..Gunsmith said it probably helped with the life of the gun.. I used a good deal of it on the recoil spring,bushing,anf frame rails,and replaced it around every 1500 or so rounds..

While running a state match few years ago,a shooter with a DRY Glock was having issues and came to me to take a look at it..Got it wet with slide glide and he finished the match,and still uses it today.good stuff...

Good stuff. As the others have said, if its being used in colder weather, you may have issues.

Last summer I wanted to do a reliability test with a new (to me) custom 2011 in a Costa handgun class. 2000rds in 3 days with no cleaning or extra lube (SG on barrel&slide, oil on pivoting parts) with zero issues or malfunctions.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Quack

I use it on my 1911's', Paras, Glocks, 870/1100s, M1s, Mini14s, and ARs. You see the pattern?

It's where you put it that counts. I mainly use it on the "big stuff" barrel, recoil assembly, rails, and hammer. I use Brownells Action Lube on the small stuff.

Careful as stated above about the temperature. I shoot some places that get cold. I was schooled early on about the cold at a small match. So I stuffed a hand warmer in the mag well for a little while to heat the gun up. I did this after the first stage where my 1911 was in "slow motion". It was about 20F. After the hand warmer stayed in the gun about 40 minutes inside the gun bag, the 1911 was all peppy for the rest of the match.

For non-match guns expecting low round count, I still use a mixture of Mobile-1 and STP. In other applications, I have been known to use White Lithium lube.

SG does seem to make the gun feel not only slick, but smooth.

I also use SG on my carry autos during "break-in". Then switch to the Mobile/STP mixture for carry.

RT