Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20140321_122148_zps4jezx24n.jpg

My new open gun addition. Took it out for a hundred round break in. Ran great. Now I just need to put a finish on it.

Excuse my ignorance , how do you guys plan the cuts on an existing slide with cnc? Do you model the whole slide in some type of 3d software , or you just plot coordinates off of a starting point? That pistol is awesome, I hope to make a build that great someday. You should be proud!! Edited by bmiller

Older cnc knee mills are an interesting deal.

You can make a huge mess as chip containment is nearly impossible.

You can run mist coolant because flood has no place to go.

You can have limited z axis travel depending on how the machine is setup.

You can deal with a potentially old out of date unsupported control system. Or it could be kinda current and ok.

The machine will be prerty rigid for its size.

The tools may or may not be easy to change out and set z height.

They can surely cut metal under cnc control, but anything past doing proto type work for yourself and they sre simply too much mess and hassel without speed and user friendliness.

Jared

Im not sure on the finish yet. I will probably cerakote it until its all broke in and then ship it off for hard chrome. I just want to make sure of any changes before I send it off for chroming

I ha e been testing the comp that Jared built and i'm real impressed with it. Gun tracks great. Real predictable dot movement and flat shooting. Plus its so light the gun just feels more balanced. I had another popular titanium comp on it and Jareds design is much better. I will post some pics later

I've been following the BE CNC threads with great enthusiasm. I picked up a Series 1 Bridgeport with outdated Boss controls last fall as a result of viewing these threads, and I am working it over adding Gecko drives and a BOB to interface with a PC. I picked it up with a dozen or so quick change toolholders and collets for less than a G0704 but I will spend that amount again to convert it. I find all of this very encouraging!

That looks like a crazy good price. I have a PM45-CNC and the machine is fantastic. I tell it to move .0001 and that's exactly what it does. If this is even close and the CNC conversion is not bad, you have a winner.

They can do it with R8 but after re-reading your build thread Jared I am a tad trepidatious. I am not sure if I have the testicular fortitude to machine all the mounts and accurately measure for the ball screws and such. Then there is the wiring and controller build! With the 704 I can just buy that $hit and make slight mods.

But on the other hand to be able to get that much more mill for the dollar is really tempting and maybe I should just sack up.

Decisions, decisions...

It is alot of work for sure. One of the guys on the forum blew through his conversion at light speed, using a smaller CNC machine he had built. He made it look easy. He used a more turn-key electronics setup from DMM with small AC servo motors, and if I did it again I would just use them as well.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop-machines/141561-kellys-machine-tool-warehouse-md001.html

You will need to measure and design the stuff in CAD before you dive in and start building parts. But it is possible. I ended up spending as much as a Tormach on my machine by the time I was done, and the machine was only $2200 shipped...