Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

Finished the Tri-topping . I am still not completely sure of the other cuts I would like to do and there is a lot left to do on the slide so I did not get carried away with the blending. But it's looking good.

Oh yeah, Ti is tricky!

tri1.jpg

tri2.jpg

tri3.jpg

I'm just kind of curious. What did you do to cut the 45's? Did you rotate the slide assembly, use the software to cut it, or use a angled cutter?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the mill in MDI mode and the setup was using the yavapai slide jig. I used a carbide square end mill and just flipped the slide to do the other side. It was a very easy setup. Next time I will try the face mill but I was trepidatious about using it this time. Although, I bet it would have left a cleaner surface.

Semper Doctrina!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

It was a productive weekend. Got the scope mounted and did some cosmetic stuff. I still might take some more off of the spring tunnel and need to do some serrations. I am thinking that I really like the unique slide without the ball cuts. I did a bevel on the bottom of the slide that parallels the french cut.

Plenty of room for a full grab on a table start with the thumb rest. I want to modify that just a bit.

The last pic is blurry but I notched the guide rod rather than modify the comp.

More to follow...

right1a.jpg

left1b.jpg

top1a.jpg

grab.jpg

notch.jpg

Straight Up,went to Prescott for the Yarnell Fire victims benefit,wow what a great showing for the shooting community here in Az.all other club shoots were cancelled and everyone was encouraged to go to Yavapai match.100 plus shooters,seven stages all around 30 round counts ...a hose fest,so much fun. These weekend matches here have more talent than State Championships in all other 48 states combined.

It never surprises me when I hear about big turnouts at benefit matches. Harvard Sportsmen (Harvard, MA) hosts a benefit match (USPSA) for a local Autism charity every year the draws is similar to a small area match. SIG hosts an annual steel challenge event that draws big crowds and raises over $10k each year for NH military families. It's a shame these events don't garner the press they deserve since the shooters always bring in big $$$$. I also love the easy going attitude at benefit matches.

It is shooter! Rio tomorrow for her maiden voyage!

I thought I was going to go with the tan grip but changed my mind. I have a PT steel grip on order but that might just go on my sight tracker build. I am still contemplating the cocking serrations, I think I know what I am going to do and it is a tad derivative but maybe with a touch of originality. Still fitting the back of the slide, tail and finish blending the safety. Going to take a little more off of the spring tunnel too.

shooter.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Well the ammo I had loaded was for my non-hybrid comp and It wouldn't cycle the new gun. So I shot it one round at a time for about 25 rounds to sight it in and get a few groups. I am revisiting some load data from my last hybrid and will take her out tomorrow morning to try again since I have the next 2 days off.

More to follow ...

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Ive kept an eye on this on and off, this is some cool stuff.

I usually see before and after pics but seeing the process and progress is cool.

Now i gotta ask...when can i send my slide to ya to get tri topped? Kidding...but seriously

Great work man!!

OK it is amazing what the right ammo will do!

Shot a .75" 10 round group at 15yds so Tack driver - Check!

Loud as hell so RO Killer - Check!

Super flat and snappy so Fast - Check!

Still have a few bugs to work out like the slide lock deactivation and little feeding love, throat and mag tweaking. Did not get through a whole mag without a jam but most were what you would expect and a little bump in the back of the slide was all it took. I expect between the few tweaks and another 500 break in rounds and she should tick like a swiss watch.

I am very happy so far but for one thing, the chamber had some marks from what looks like the button when they rifled it. I thought that the chamber ream would cure it but did not. So the brass has these vertical impressions from the expansion after firing. Not really a big deal in as long as the brass life is not shortened. It reloads and shoots fine. I suppose I could polish them out but I don't want to change the dimensions of the chamber. It will make it easier to find my brass though!

I know it is too soon for a match but I want more rounds through it so it may go out to Tuesday night steel tomorrow. Jams be dammed! ;-P

Edited by StraightUp_OG