Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for "in a pinch shell caddies

I have my first 3 gun match next weekend and have my gear covered. My Son decided he wanted to shoot as well but I have no extra shotgun caddies for him. The Match is this saturday and I don't think I can have any shipped in time. Any suggestions on what he could use? It's a Polar Match so I'm sure we will be bundled up pretty warm with tons of clothes.

Look forward to any advice.

We often get new shooters at our local matches that does not have the "proper" gear. And a few have never seen a shotgun caddie before. So it is common practice for the guys with the gear to share their gear when they are not shooting. Most of the shell caddies have a belt clip design that can easily be removed from the belt.

I know how it gets harder to share gear while being all bundled up. But if you're planning on getting your son the same shotgun caddies that you have, you might as well trade back and forth with him so he can get a start on learning to work with them.

Welcome to 3-gunning. You and your son are going to have a great time.

Bird hunters often use a belt mounted "pouch" that you can use if you have to. It should hold plenty of shells. It isn't anywhere near as good as a caddy but for a brand new 3 gunner, it isn't too bad of a deal.

You can also use something similar to this: smallMain_32_112.jpg

It wouldn't be pretty, but it would probably work...

What about a shotgun bandolier? or a modified shotgun sling with the shell loops? Wouldn't recommend as a sling on the shotgun as it will really throw off the weight, but worn like a sash?

I'd go with what Villamor said. Unless you have an ELS belt they will be easily detached and put onto yours sons belt. Tell the guys in your squad that you two will be sharing gear and be sure that there are enough people between you in the shooting order so that you can swap them out and get them replenished.

He does not have to use the belt, just swap the shell caddies.

You'll both get a big thrill with 3-Gun. Once you've tried it, shooting handgun-only competitions will seem kinda boring.

I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone here when I say to please pass on our thanks to your son for his service.

He does not have to use the belt, just swap the shell caddies.

You'll both get a big thrill with 3-Gun. Once you've tried it, shooting handgun-only competitions will seem kinda boring.

I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone here when I say to please pass on our thanks to your son for his service.

Thank you so much

I don't know if they still carry them, but Walmart used to sell SG she'll bandoliers. I think they held 25 shells. I used one when I first started 3 gun.

What u do is wear it diagonal across your chest (caveman style). Then when it is time to load, roll the gun over on your shoulder so the shells and loading port are right next to each other. Kinda have to pull one at a time, but at least it is organized.

One alibi, you can't Mind lookin like a goober for this technique to be fully effective. Never an issue for me.

Lablover, I warn you now, get your son started but don't be surprised when he is soon kicking your butt at the shoots. The pride you will feel is hard to contain.

That's coming from the father of two great 3-gunners. One of which is Tyler Payne of the Army Marksmanship Unit. Though the old man himself is not a bad shot, even when he got crippled by a twig.

Looks to be a done deal here. Mark Otto gave me a ring and is sending a load 2 vest for the Kid. Pretty Awesome

Can't thank you enough Mark!! He's gonna love it!

Wow.....Way to be the man Mark!!

Lablover, I warn you now, get your son started but don't be surprised when he is soon kicking your butt at the shoots. The pride you will feel is hard to contain.

That's coming from the father of two great 3-gunners. One of which is Tyler Payne of the Army Marksmanship Unit. Though the old man himself is not a bad shot, even when he got crippled by a twig.

Yep.....I've gotten used to the idea that at least one member of the Payne family is probably going to kick my ass at most matches. It would be kind of annoying if they weren't such good folks....... And since Brian is the RM for the Nordic Tactical Shotgun Championships, I'm going to refrain from making any twig comments until July 29th :ph34r: