Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I change 30 rder mags to 10 rders

mike's m&p

Question is how could i change my 30 round mags to 10 round mags as can't have them anymore. Will proloy have to be pinned to be legal now, as can't be easily converted back is what the new law is saying. More clarification is coming from the the state about this. I don't want to get rid of them as the expense I have in them and in mag holders fit them perfect and easier for reloading during 3 gun comp. Any suggestions. Yes already hear move, not an option now just have to play with what we have been dealt with. Thanks for suggestions on any modifications or are there any kits you can buy that can make them 10 rders

I friend of mine just bought a Windham varmint that came with a 5rd mag. All they did was take a 10rd mag, drilled a hole on the front and install a pop rivet to stop the follower. They used a magpull follower and the big square front worked good with the rivet. I’m still not sure how you get the follower out but it’s a simple idea to limit capacity.

Call Adolf Cuomo and ask him if he has any brilliant ideas, he is a Gun expert so he must have the answer.

You could drive a set screw in to limit the follower but you need to be more worried about satisfying the KGB. You could ruin your expensive mags and still not be able to keep them. Sell your 30s on Gunbroker, make a few bucks and buy 10 rounders. Put any change towards a u-haul and escape when the time is right.

Edited by GIO

Found on youtube how to rivet them. As the mag block wouldn't be legal without glueing them. At least a rivet you can drill back out when I get the hell out of this state. Plus a box of rivets cheap. Link to youtube is 7410ray, 10-30pmag cal legal. Wont be doing anything for awile waiting to see what happens. Hopefully going to the march on Albany, maybe we can get it overturned.

Yep its just an 1/8 hole in the front of the mag. The hole will even be covered by the mag well when it is in the gun. This is what I would do if I lived in NY. You could do 50 mags for $5, convert them back if you move or the law is changed, and I don't think 1 1/8 hole is destroying you're mag.

Before you do anything or spend any money you don't have to, take some time and find out exactly what the law is, what it requires of you, and when it goes into effect. Some of what I have been reading conflicts with other things I've been reading.

Using a magblock block in the steel/Aluminum bodied magazines, install the magblock into the mag and use the epoxy to cement the spring onto the magblock. Install the baseplate then use a pop rivet to secure the base plate onto the Magblock. Now the magazine is blocked to 10 rounds and can not be easily returned back to 30 round capacity and you did so by not drilling a hole into the magazine body.

Just using a pop rivet in the magbody does not constitute "permanently blocked" as you can drill out the rivet in 30 seconds. You have a better chance at not catching flack by adding the magblock, cementing the spring to the magblock per the product instructions, and pop riveting on the base pad.

PMags are another story. Cement would be required to glue the base pad onto the magazine as I think a pop rivet would break the plastic base.

We have a year before we have to worry about it...and it is a foregone conclusion that some if not all of this bill will be amended and/or overturned in the courts.

Purchasing 10 round magazines or "California Legal" 10 round magazines are an option as well up to April 1st of this year.

I hear you chuck d. Its just that the 30's fit my mag holders and easier to do reloads as bigger area to grab during competitions. Considering the magblock route and use hot glue instead of epoxy. Still the law isn't clear yet as of the towns meetings they had last week more clarification is suppose to be coming . Just will wait and see, trying to think of ways to do it , hopefully things will get overturned. Thanks again guys for some ideas