Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Successful First Run of Reloads

Kfrog

We produced our first run of 9mm ammunition this afternoon using a Dillion RL550B press. We made 35 test bullets using 124 gr. Montana Gold bullets, Titegroup powder, CCI primers and nickel plated brass from Precision Delta. We took them to the range and fed them through my Taurus PT809 and a CZ 75 B. All fired off without a hitch. We're pretty pumped and feel we're ready to get going on a full production run.

Thanks to all on this forum for all the words of reloading wisdom, you guys are the best.

Were ya scared _ _ _ _less like I was on that first round ??? I just started as well on the same press.... lol even though I spent an hour making 50 rounds checking & rechecking everything , I was still a little worried.... course its been all rainbows & unicorns since.... hahaaaa

welcome to reloading. my first reloads were rifle rounds on a single stage Rockchucker. I fired my very first rounds from the hip cause I was afraid of putting my face next to the action.

Another rockchucker fan here...my first deer season using reloads years ago turned out well and I haven't looked back since.

Hehehe... nothing to worry about, as long as you didn't double-charge the powder!

My first loading experiences began in the 70's, and back then I didn't even have a press. I loaded .308, .30-06 and .44 mag all with hand dies alone.

Reminds me of the U-Verse commercials!

Enjoy! Just be sure to take enough time to be able to pay attention whenever you're running the press, and have a means to check the powder in the case before you seat the bullet and you should be fine.

Oh, and watch your powder drop so you don't get carried away and run it dry... sucks to have to weigh a bunch to find the short stacks so you can take 15 bullets apart - don't ask me how I know!

Roger

Were ya scared _ _ _ _less like I was on that first round ??? I just started as well on the same press.... lol even though I spent an hour making 50 rounds checking & rechecking everything , I was still a little worried.... course its been all rainbows & unicorns since.... hahaaaa

Actually we were quite confident. But yeah we took an hour to load 35 rounds checking and rechecking everything just like you! LOL! Fist bumps all around after that! Gonna spend part of the day today cleaning brass before the Super Bowl.

We produced our first run of 9mm ammunition this afternoon

What velocity did you get? How was accuracy? :cheers:

We don't have a method of measuring velocity yet. That's another item on the wish list. Accuracy was good. I'm not a very good shot :blush: but my son-in-law (TicoCafe on this forum) is much better with his CZ 75 B.

Hehehe... nothing to worry about, as long as you didn't double-charge the powder!

My first loading experiences began in the 70's, and back then I didn't even have a press. I loaded .308, .30-06 and .44 mag all with hand dies alone.

Reminds me of the U-Verse commercials!

Enjoy! Just be sure to take enough time to be able to pay attention whenever you're running the press, and have a means to check the powder in the case before you seat the bullet and you should be fine.

Oh, and watch your powder drop so you don't get carried away and run it dry... sucks to have to weigh a bunch to find the short stacks so you can take 15 bullets apart - don't ask me how I know!

Roger

We were very careful. We measured and weighed the powder quite a few times before really running the press to it's full capability. Made sure the primers were set correctly (one got in upside down) visually check powder level each time, measure OAL and width of each round. We just took our time so we know what to look out for next time. Very satisfying!

welcome to reloading. my first reloads were rifle rounds on a single stage Rockchucker. I fired my very first rounds from the hip cause I was afraid of putting my face next to the action.

Thanks. I just boldly loaded two rounds in my PT809 magazine, pushed my gun out to arms length, took aim, then slowly squeezed the trigger. BANG! Wait... check gun... look at hole in target... (low left like usual) Took aim again, squeeze... BANG! Closer but still low left (dude is not a good shot) Bullets are good. Shooter needs practice.

Really NOT a "wish item" - it's really an "essential item" - only costs $75. :cheers:

Amen! Someone once told me that reloading is the second half to the hobby of shooting. I totally agree! In fact, I think I have more fun with the reloading side than actually shooting (is it okay to admit that?) Well, I just purchased my chronograph after reloading for 6mo....I quickly realized that I might as well have been reloading blind folded without one!

• 2 weeks later...

I stay concerned with any new batch of reloads. Started with .45 10 years ago, never had a squib, load .308, .44 mag for rifle, 30-06. Now moving to 9mm and feel like its all brand new. It adds something to the whole process taking a deer with one of my own loads, feel more involved somehow, like tying your own flies.

Have to ask though..... Never had a chronograph and after this long have to wonder what purpose it would serve. Not doubting it just curious as to why so "essential." Always looking to improve things.

Never had a chronograph and wonder what purpose it would serve. why so "essential."

Imagine driving your car without a speedometer :surprise:

If you don't know the velocity of your rounds , you don't know if you're

loading them too hot - that's really dangerous.

If you're using your 9mm for a competitive sport, you also need to

know if your loads are making "minor" or not.

:cheers: