Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NY Gun Law and Bianchi Open Guns

ffl

From my understanding of the reading of the NY Assualt Weapons ban a pistol that has a shroud that covers the barrel is now considered an "Assualt Weapon". There are exemptions in the law to allow more mag capacity for competion shooters but nothing I read allowed a pistol with a shroud even in competition.

The definition of "Assault Weapon" could also cover site mounts in other shooting sports if they cover the slide too much.

Reading through the 'new' laws here in NY, not only are our Bianchi open guns now considered assault weapons, but any open pistol with a threaded barrel/comp. It apears that we can register then as assault weapons, but my gut feeling is thats the first step to having them ultamately taken away. It may be time to get out of NY soon! If not, there will be a few competitors at the BC from NY that are now considered criminals by NY law.

That my friends is why my open gun is in the classifieds. I am so frustrated I may sell everything and start knitting. Unless they classify the needle as an AW. :blush:

Following all this crazyness in NY has made my blood pressure go up and my head spin.

Reading through the 'new' laws here in NY, not only are our Bianchi open guns now considered assault weapons, but any open pistol with a threaded barrel/comp. It apears that we can register then as assault weapons, but my gut feeling is thats the first step to having them ultamately taken away. It may be time to get out of NY soon! If not, there will be a few competitors at the BC from NY that are now considered criminals by NY law.

Would it be legal or possible to use a STI Trubor one piece barrel?

Edited by toothguy

The Trubore may be legal, as the law only called out a 'threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.' . There's still a LOT of confusion around around the new laws, so that's something that I would probably have to check with the State Police on (even though they are just as confused as everybody else).

I'm wondering if there is a way to weld a pin in an existing comp making it a permanent installation and not capable of accepting a barrel extention. I don't weld but it must be difficult with some of the comps aluminum and titanium.

I hadn't considered this. I was just discussing the idea of a custom barrel shroud with barricade wings for the Grand Power X-Calibur.

I bounced an idea off a friend about using the accessory rail and slide stop pin, but wondered about torque.

His reply stopped me in my tracks. A Bianchi gun prohibited. Wow.

I'm a former resident of the Empire State. Its a dumb law promulgated by dumb elected officials who have a "passion" to legislate and regulate. What bothers me most about the law is how "Adolph" Cuomo and his merry men wiped their A** with the NY State Constitution by pushing through this law without benefit of committee meetings and public comment-- they didn't even wait the three days mandated by the state constitution before making it state law.