Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

W231 Load for .40

Wilfred

My load is 5.2grns of w231 rainer 180grn fn oal1.130 and pf is 169 out of a glock 35. Nice shooting never had a problem

Mike, just wanted to thank you for this load. I am using the same Ranier 180gr FP bullets and you saved me some testing. Loaded up a batch yesterday at 5.2gr W231 with OAL @ 1.13 to shoot out of my Tangolio Limited major gun. It worked perfect at about 950 to 975 FPS to give me about 170PF. Shot flat and fairly soft. Good accuracy and not too dirty. With the way powder is hard to find you have to use what you have not what you wish you have. Going to try it a match this weekend. I use a Lee turret loader and it had no recommended start load so I used the closest bullet weight and type to start with the lowest charge. Used 4.1grs. Got about 600FPS. Was nice and soft shooting, but not even close.

gerritm

I think Rob posted a rather optimistic load for 180 lead with W231 - I think you are not going to get Major reliably until you hit 4.8 gr and may need up to 5.0. Rob - better rerun the chrony on those.

Sorry, Jim I'll stand by my numbers. I did test the 180 gr Moly coated lead w/ 4.8gr W231 and got 177PF out of the M&P and 182PF out of the 1911.

Both guns delivered 170-171PF at 4.5gr w/ the 180 gr Moly lead.

IT was a cool temp day so I will double check on a warm day.

If the choro is off then I screwed no matter what.

I know you are not gaming it but please check before you get caught with minor in a level 2. (When you are done playing in SSTK)

gerritm ..... glad it worked out for you. I might try knocking mine down to 5.1, 5.0 and see what i get. Tryin for a 169 pf that way im safe from the chrono man. Again these results results are what I got out of my gun as always start low and work your way up.

I think Rob posted a rather optimistic load for 180 lead with W231 - I think you are not going to get Major reliably until you hit 4.8 gr and may need up to 5.0. Rob - better rerun the chrony on those.

Sorry, Jim I'll stand by my numbers. I did test the 180 gr Moly coated lead w/ 4.8gr W231 and got 177PF out of the M&P and 182PF out of the 1911.

Both guns delivered 170-171PF at 4.5gr w/ the 180 gr Moly lead.

IT was a cool temp day so I will double check on a warm day.

If the choro is off then I screwed no matter what.

I know you are not gaming it but please check before you get caught with minor in a level 2. (When you are done playing in SSTK)

For you Jm I shall :cheers: but...

I looked back through all my records and in the Kimber 1911 40S&W both UMC and Win White Box factory ammo chrono'd about 40fps faster than in the Glock 35 I sold you a few years ago. The M&P Pro 40 results with the UMC and WWB were nearly the same as with the G35. Same lots of UMC and WWB.

Also, in all loads I tested with the the Moly bullets the M&P was consistently 10-25 FPS lower than the Kimber. Larger delta's at higher and lower loads taht the 4.5gr W231.

So, I agree in a G35 4.5gr W231 with 180gr lead might be kind of sporty as in maybe not guite up to major PF .

FYI, the Kimber has a Kart match barrel so it might be a bit tighter and thus run a bit hotter.

gerritm ..... glad it worked out for you. I might try knocking mine down to 5.1, 5.0 and see what i get. Tryin for a 169 pf that way im safe from the chrono man. Again these results results are what I got out of my gun as always start low and work your way up.

Shot a local USPSA match yesterday and they worked great. Clean, soft shooting, accurate. I am going to back the load down a little to try and conserve powder. I will try 4.8gr. I am guessing it will be a little low on the PF, but these are not sanctioned matches. I now have a good load for a sanctioned match.

Thanks, gerritm

My load is 5.2grns of w231 rainer 180grn fn oal1.130 and pf is 169 out of a glock 35. Nice shooting never had a problem

Mike, just wanted to thank you for this load. I am using the same Ranier 180gr FP bullets and you saved me some testing. Loaded up a batch yesterday at 5.2gr W231 with OAL @ 1.13 to shoot out of my Tangolio Limited major gun. It worked perfect at about 950 to 975 FPS to give me about 170PF. Shot flat and fairly soft. Good accuracy and not too dirty. With the way powder is hard to find you have to use what you have not what you wish you have. Going to try it a match this weekend. I use a Lee turret loader and it had no recommended start load so I used the closest bullet weight and type to start with the lowest charge. Used 4.1grs. Got about 600FPS. Was nice and soft shooting, but not even close.

gerritm

Do you think the FMP (frontier metal processing) 180gr match flat points would perform about the same with the W231 and 1.13" OAL?

• 3 weeks later...