Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Rounds Completed

okorpheus

Just finished my first reloaded cartridges. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go try them out this week or next weekend. Just a check, does this sound reasonable? I only ask because there's some variation in reloading data in different sources.

9mm

147 gr lead flat point (the 147 gr ones here http://www.uniquepre...ets.com/9mm.htm)

over 3.9gr of WSF.

COL 1.169 (varied between 1.159 and 1.171, with all but 3 out of 14 being between 1.167 and 1.169 - is that a normal and safe variation?)

What are you shooting them out of? They sound long. I know if you load out longer than 1.155 you will start to have problems fitting them into the magazines of many of the more common 9's. If you have checked them in your mags already then you should be good to go.

They sound long. If you have checked them in your mags you should be good to go.

Agree. Check them in your mags to make sure they fit in properly - does sound

awfully long.

You should also take your gun apart, and drop a few of them into your chamber (of

the barrel, out of the gun). Make sure they fit into your chamber.

My guess is they are too long and won't fit either in the mag or in the chamber.

You should also push a few against your reloading bench, and see if you can push

the bullets back into the case - push them against the bench, and then measure

them again to see if they got shorter.

If they fit in your gun & mag, and don't get shorter when you push the bullets back

into the case, you've done a great job of reloading -

When you get 15 minutes, you might want to go to the "reloading 9mm" forum here,

and read some of the old posts ... Wealth of info for new reloaders.

:cheers:

Yea, those are pretty long. Most don't load past 1.16 or so...but it depends on the gun and mags.

Curious though, how did you come up with 1.169? Seems like an odd number to me. When I do testing, I do "common" OAL's, such as 1.12, 1.14, and 1.16. Also, do a "plunk" test in your barrel to see if they fit correctly, and what is your crimp set at? Should be between .376-.378".

1.169 is what's listed at data.hodgdon.com

They drop in my chamber, not as slick as the factory 115 fmj I've been using. Put one in the mag and racked the slide, it chambered and went fully in battery, ejected when I racked again.

Measured wall thickness and checked bullet diameter, mouth is bullet diameter + 2 x wall thickness when done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1.169 is what's listed at data.hodgdon.com

They drop in my chamber, not as slick as the factory 115 fmj I've been using. Put one in the mag and racked the slide, it chambered and went fully in battery, ejected when I racked again.

Measured wall thickness and checked bullet diameter, mouth is bullet diameter + 2 x wall thickness when done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Try more than one in the mag as well. The first round will fit in the mag if long but try and load more you may find the rounds hit the front of the mag and you won't get any more to feed into the mag. I had this issue with my first reloads with 147 TC bullets.

• 3 weeks later...