Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intro 3gun

RDF5186

Not to rehash as I have read a lot about this. Tired of borrowing shotguns for matches. I thi k it is time for a upgrade. I've shot the 930. JM pro, 870 and 1100. For a intro I'm looking at the cz 712 or a 930. I did we'll with the 870 as it is always flawless but I think it's time to step up my game. I'm looking at a 500 budget as of now to get started. Any ideas. Perhaps a used one.

You can get a mossberg 930 waterfowl for about 350-400 new. Add a nordic clamp and some sheet metal to cover the ports on the 28in barrel and add a +8 nordic tube for 100 bucks. When your budget allows, start to look at having the barrel cut down, loading port opened up, lifter welded, etc.

Have you looked at Benneli nova or super nova 24 or 26 inch barrel add a tube and your ready to go right out of the box.Yes it is a pump but since you said you did well with the 870 its worth a look .then when funds allow go for the m2. Good Luck on your choice

I own a 870. Very reliable but I think it retards my abilities. I would love to hop into a good semi but as everyone knows money is tight. I like the waterfowl idea. Not camo crazy but nothing some duracoat won't fix. Lol.

How fast can you load 8 rounds? If under 6 seconds every time, static and on the move you may need a self-loader

What kind of splits with the 870 on two targets? If at or near .25 you may not be any faster with a self-loader.

The pumpgun is a liability only when confronted with awkward positions where pumping is made difficult.

The pumpgun is a little slower to load as you must account for the ejection/feeing stroke before you stuff shells.

Just loading it can be faster as you do not need as heavy a tube spring to make the gun run.

The pumpgun can run very light loads and when properly choked still takes targets down.

Again…I'd run the dog crap out of the pump until funds allowed you to buy a best quality self-loader.

Thanks. Maybe a option for me. I love this forum. On it everyday and appreciate the feedback. I do lose time on the chambering of rounds due to the pump sometimes. As always loading effectively and efficiently has always been my handicap on the shotgun stages. Practice makes perfect. Lol.

I already had my FN and was watching for a shotgun for my friend who was on a budget. Wound up finding a Winchester Super X2 that was in like-new condition for $450 on the AR15.com equipment exchange. $80 dollars for a Nordic tube and a little work opening up the loading port and he is ready to go. I actually like it better than my SLP because I do like a vent-rib barrel. Although I have a rear sight for slugs.

Keep your eyes open and you may eventually find a deal.

I'd like to get in some trigger time on a versa-max as it SEEMS like they might load easier than my FN.

Affirm. I am a equip exchange whore. Lots of good buys out there. Patience is the key. Might hit up some of the local pawns this weekend to see what inventory looks like. I'd rather buy used from a fellow shooter though the. Some pawn shop. We shall see

I own a 870. Very reliable but I think it retards my abilities. I would love to hop into a good semi but as everyone knows money is tight. I like the waterfowl idea. Not camo crazy but nothing some duracoat won't fix. Lol.

not all waterfowl 930s come camo'd. Mine did have wood furniture but some are all black synthetic as well.

How fast can you load 8 rounds? If under 6 seconds every time, static and on the move you may need a self-loader

What kind of splits with the 870 on two targets? If at or near .25 you may not be any faster with a self-loader.

The pumpgun is a liability only when confronted with awkward positions where pumping is made difficult.

The pumpgun is a little slower to load as you must account for the ejection/feeing stroke before you stuff shells.

Just loading it can be faster as you do not need as heavy a tube spring to make the gun run.

The pumpgun can run very light loads and when properly choked still takes targets down.

Again…I'd run the dog crap out of the pump until funds allowed you to buy a best quality self-loader.

This is great info - thanks for posting it! I've run an 870 for years because it's what I have and what I want to learn to shoot better. Lately I've been beating a lot of semi-auto guys and wondering if it might be time to pony up and go semi-auto. I'm going to wait until I hit your goals and just practice with the good old 870 more.

If you can wait and save about $1000, getting an SLP or a Benelli and customizing it would be your best bet. But if you wanna stick with your budget of around $500 you can do what I did. Here was my recipe.

Mossberg 930 Turkey model # 83235 Black Synthetic stock/forend - $450

+6 Nordic magazine extension - $80

Nordic barrel clamp - $30

Forend/loading port mod - free

This model comes with a the same oversized charging handle as the JP pro and has Hi-Viz sights from the factory. Both of which save you some $$

Hope this helps. Good luck.

~Mac