Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Louisiana Gator Classic!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your insinuation is that the increase isn't worth it. I have a solution for you. Don't write the check. Don't send your app in. It won't cost you a dime.

I believe you just posted the best solution for me and quite a few others.

I don't think Brandon was insinuating as much as stating clearly that the increase is Not worth it.

How you can try to apply a "for-profit" business principle to a 100% volunteer sport is beyond me. I might be new to the sport (3 years) but I never once treated my gifts of time, talent, and money as equity. I volunteered it!

The best way for your group to reconcile this price-hike foolishness is to refund as much extra as you can to the R.O. corps that are paying to work this match. Otherwise where will you put the $ thousands in question?

The $40.00 a head might make a positive difference to them, (if not to you).

duhbob - If you live in Slidell and are going to pass on this match over a $25 increase, then you need to find a different sport.

Have you shot the gator before? Where did you finish and what was your prize off of the table?

The match is over half full THREE DAYS after apps are posted. I think you and Brandon are being out voted.

You are correct Brandon, those people are being outvoted as well. I bet you my slot that the match fills up at this price as well. I also bet you that when it fills up, and the price goes up again next year, that it will fill up then too.

Hey, what is your motive for all this pot stirring? You and this other guy have said that you aren't going. Are you just trying to get others to boycot with you? Do you think that if you gripe enough that the price will get lowered and the 93 people who have already registered will get their money back?

The extra money is going to the prize table. Plain and simple. If you don't agree with that then don't go, but what is the reasoning behind pissing all over everybody else who doesn't have an issue with the price?

Didn't know that voicing opinion equaled pot stirring.

So the extra money is going to buying peoples own prizes?

See that is all that people were curious about where the extra money was going. At least there is now an answer from someone (read YOU) who is not involved at all with the match.

I also heard that next year would indeed go up to nearly $200 if this year fills up fast. $200 for an 11 stage plus classifier match? There reaches a point where greed kicks in. The match does not cost any more to run than last year - IN FACT it is actually less since it is a Level 2 vs a Level 3. People are having to spend more money on bullets, powder, brass, etc etc and now matches are going up why? Because Double Tap did so. Great reason - at least DTC PAYS for the RO's rooms, doesn't charge them to enter, covers meals, etc etc.

I also have zero issue with those folks who don't mind paying the $175 to shoot the match - more power to them. I know in fact that the entire crew from MS is looking for another match to go to next year instead of the gator due to the price increase.

Voicing a NEGATIVE opinion on a subject that you have absolutely nothing to do with in an effort to bring negative publicity against the match and those associated with it is MY definition of pot stirring. You may have a different definition.

You HEARD that the cost is going to go up next year.....yeah. Right. The apps just came out for this year. I'm sure that they are already planning for next year.

Yes, people are paying for the prizes. I know that you have very little experience around a prize table, but that is how it works. The match directors and staff call and solicit prizes for the table. Most of the prizes are not given free of charge, the Md's are allowed to buy them at discounted prices. They buy those prizes with the money from the entries. So, either the match director is a crook and is going to buy a new truck with all the extra money, or that money is going to go to buy more and better prizes for the shooters. I can tell you that it ain't the first one.

Again, what is your motive here? What are you trying to accomplish?

I will not drive 200 +/-extra miles to another event to avoid the Gator due to $40.00 increase in match fee. From central Mississippi the Gator is the closest big match other than the world famous Mississippi Classic. I also hate the price increase but is cheaper than a extra tank of gas to get to a distant match. I am part of the "Mississippi crew" but was not polled in this matter. Next week: The Great Mississippi Classic. Hope to see y'all there.

I am not attending the match this year, but not due to the price increase. Just a plain ole scheduling conflict, kinda hard to shoot a match in the Bayou when you are in South Korea.

If the price increase is going towards a better prize table, then that is the MD's decision based on what he thinks his competitors want. I, however, would rather the price be lowered and have a small prize table. I'm the type of person that if I need/want something, I will buy it. Most of the stuff I have gotten off of prize tables, I have sold/given away as it was stuff I didn't need or want. Though those Bayou bullets I got at last years Gator are going to good use!

Sorry my use of "entire" was incorrect. But I know there are many looking for a replacement match at a better price.

And yes the comment was "if this year sells out fast we can charge $200 next year"

I'm done. I've voiced my opinion on it. Others feel the same. Others don't. That's why it's an opinion.

The guy with 2 new race guns for every division, and a full travel schedule to Area matches all over the country is suddenly worried about money? What happened, Brandon, didnt make you 1st Quarter quota at work?

Just see the same matches going up every year stinks. It seems like the attitude is "ohhhh we filled up in 7 days last year - lets charge more". If they money is going to building/buying the most awesomest props out there or letting juniors shoot free by all means ill pay it. But it's just cuz matches filled fast - maybe I do need to shoot 3 gun where at least the big matches have a plethora of guns on the prize table.

I amazed at this. I'd love to buy a barrett 50 cal semi auto rifle with a nightforce scope but I don't have the money to. I'm sure not going to rag Barrett and Nightforce because their prices are too high.

1. Don't want to pay the entry fee, don't shoot. Believe me, you won't be missed.

2. Nobody is making money off this event.

3. Any excess monies are spent buying from the sponsor tables and placed on the prize table.

4. Start your own match and charge what you want. Hey maybe have free entries for everyone so we can just all get along

Mike Pizzolatto

Past President EAPS

Two things:

1.) I wish I could make it back to the Gator this year but my schedule won't allow it.

2.) The one time I did make the Gator I happened to catch the MD's handing wads of cash to trusted members of their staff with instructions to raid the vendor tables in attendance, just to get more goodies for the match prize table.

If a club makes a little money, that's a good thing. You use events like this to finance props and supplies for future events. But from what I saw, they weren't making much at all. The proceeds (after financing a number of Junior shooters) were largely used to give back to the participants. If them charging more to give back more is an issue for somebody, then they are free to spend their dollars elsewhere.

I highly recommend this match, and the folks involved.

Spanky, are you designing stages this year?

The guy with 2 new race guns for every division, and a full travel schedule to Area matches all over the country is suddenly worried about money? What happened, Brandon, didnt make you 1st Quarter quota at work?

Just see the same matches going up every year stinks. It seems like the attitude is "ohhhh we filled up in 7 days last year - lets charge more". If they money is going to building/buying the most awesomest props out there or letting juniors shoot free by all means ill pay it. But it's just cuz matches filled fast - maybe I do need to shoot 3 gun where at least the big matches have a plethora of guns on the prize table.

I amazed at this. I'd love to buy a barrett 50 cal semi auto rifle with a nightforce scope but I don't have the money to. I'm sure not going to rag Barrett and Nightforce because their prices are too high.

1. Don't want to pay the entry fee, don't shoot. Believe me, you won't be missed.

2. Nobody is making money off this event.

3. Any excess monies are spent buying from the sponsor tables and placed on the prize table.

4. Start your own match and charge what you want. Hey maybe have free entries for everyone so we can just all get along

Mike Pizzolatto

Past President EAPS

Well said my friend

Voicing a NEGATIVE opinion on a subject that you have absolutely nothing to do with in an effort to bring negative publicity against the match and those associated with it is MY definition of pot stirring. You may have a different definition.

You HEARD that the cost is going to go up next year.....yeah. Right. The apps just came out for this year. I'm sure that they are already planning for next year.

Yes, people are paying for the prizes. I know that you have very little experience around a prize table, but that is how it works. The match directors and staff call and solicit prizes for the table. Most of the prizes are not given free of charge, the Md's are allowed to buy them at discounted prices. They buy those prizes with the money from the entries. So, either the match director is a crook and is going to buy a new truck with all the extra money, or that money is going to go to buy more and better prizes for the shooters. I can tell you that it ain't the first one.

Again, what is your motive here? What are you trying to accomplish?

Stop giving out free golden nuggets..........

If you are interested in shooting the 2013 Gator Classic you need to get your app in soon. We are not that far from being full, at which time we will have a waiting list.