Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 9mm 5.25 and accuracy

zdog

I have been shooting this pistol for a couple of months now and am not happy with the accuracy (repeatablity). I know this is not the reloading forum but could someone give me a hint on oal and powder charge using pd 124 jhp for this particular pistol. I am getting a 2in group from a rest at 6 yds with a oal of 1.085 and 4.7 of wsf.

Second question....

This is a pretty stiff load for minor, about 135 or so, and I wonder if going down to a 16lb recoil spring would help with the muzzle flip a little. I talked to the folks at Springer, where I bought the gun, and they basically said not to fool with the recoil spring if the gun was functioning ok.

zdog

I run 3.9g of Titegroup and a 124 MG cmj with an OAL in the range of 1.14 through my 5.25. Not sure if that helps you or not, but it sure shoots great in the two that I've shot it in. I haven't messed with the recoil spring at all, but I have put in a Powder River trigger.

I run 3.9g of Titegroup and a 124 MG cmj with an OAL in the range of 1.14 through my 5.25. Not sure if that helps you or not, but it sure shoots great in the two that I've shot it in. I haven't messed with the recoil spring at all, but I have put in a Powder River trigger.

Thanks for the response. I am acutally looking for information from folks that may be shooting the pd 124 jhp through a Xdm 5.25 9mm . I have 6 thousand of those little jewells to use up.

zdog

I have been shooting this pistol for a couple of months now and am not happy with the accuracy (repeatablity). I know this is not the reloading forum but could someone give me a hint on oal and powder charge using pd 124 jhp for this particular pistol. I am getting a 2in group from a rest at 6 yds with a oal of 1.085 and 4.7 of wsf.

Second question....

This is a pretty stiff load for minor, about 135 or so, and I wonder if going down to a 16lb recoil spring would help with the muzzle flip a little. I talked to the folks at Springer, where I bought the gun, and they basically said not to fool with the recoil spring if the gun was functioning ok.

zdog

I think your OAL is too short. I am loading 1.120. I shoot 5.7 grains of AA #5 for a PF of 132. I use a 16# recoil spring. Cycles fine.

I'm leaning towards the OAL being too short as well. I'm running at 1.145" and had 2-3"" groups at 20 yards at our local USPSA match last weekend. I am shooting a heavier bullet (147 Xtreme plated over 3.5 VV N320) but is is out of my XDM 5.25 9mm also with a 16# spring and runs flawless. I also loaded up some Xtreme plated 124's at the same length, was very pleased with grouping at the range as well. Was running drills at 10 yards.

Second question....

zdog

I think your OAL is too short. I am loading 1.120. I shoot 5.7 grains of AA #5 for a PF of 132. I use a 16# recoil spring. Cycles fine.

I shoot the 124gr PD JHP under 6.0 of #5 with great results. Load them to 1.10" so they'll also chamber in my CZ. Have loaded over 5k this way, it's my goto load for the stock spring 5.25

I have tested the same load as R-Bros_JLR with pretty good results. I would work up a new load if your groups are opened up like that. My buddy has the same gun and it opens up to 2.5" with the loads that mine will shoot 1.5" some guns are just that way.

Well... just to be different!

Bullet: Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP

Powder: VihtaVuori N320 3.7 grs.

Primer: Federal 100

Case: Federal

LOAL: 1.115

Average Velocity: 1042.54 fps

14 lb Wolff recoil spring

Powder River Precision Drop-In Trigger Kit

Edited by pbcaster45

Yeah i would think the OAL is causing the bullet to wobble a little when entering the barrel thus giving you the wider spread . The minute angles that it enters the rifling at will def do that . Same principle as long distance precision shooting why you try to seat as close to or even in the lands . The recipes above seem like they would all work fine as well .

4.7 WSF and a 124mg at 1.169 gives me 2" 25 yd groups from my XDM 5.25. Your OAL does seem pretty short. My velocity averages about 1080 for a 133PF.

I think you might want check your measurement 1.169, it is way too long for an XDm magazine. I'm not able to go past 1.155 without having the rounds jamb inside the magazine tube. I load all of my XD/m loads at 1.145 to 1.150 to stay away from rounds causing feeding problems through a mag.

Rich

I agree with the comments on OAL. I am shooting PD 124JHP from mixed brass, 4.2gr of Win231, and OAL of 1.122. Accuracy of my gun and ammo hasn't been the problem, as it's more accurate than I am :-)

4.7 WSF and a 124mg at 1.169 gives me 2" 25 yd groups from my XDM 5.25. Your OAL does seem pretty short. My velocity averages about 1080 for a 133PF.

I think you might want check your measurement 1.169, it is way too long for an XDm magazine. I'm not able to go past 1.155 without having the rounds jamb inside the magazine tube. I load all of my XD/m loads at 1.145 to 1.150 to stay away from rounds causing feeding problems through a mag.

Rich

My mistake and I've edited my post. My COL is 1.160.

My load for the 9mm 5.25 (borrowed gun) was leftover Zero 121 grain JHPs over 4.3 gr of N320 powder. OAL was what I'd normally run for 9mm or short 40 hollowpoints - 1.125" with ~0.002 of taper crimp. Shot about 1.5" off a rest at 25 yards. If I was using round-nose I'd go 1.150" OAL.

My ammo for the CZ Shadow is shorter - about 1.085 - per the advice in that subforum. The Shadow rifling starts closer to the case mouth, it would seem. Accuracy with that gun (124 JHPs over 4.2 of TiteGroup) is also under 2".

The better an aiming point I use (usually a 2" orange-glow paster) the better I shoot groups. Ideal aiming point to see over a front sight focus would probably be one incredibly bright LED with a diameter of about 1/8". Until it gets shot.