Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero versus Montana Gold - .38 Super 125gr JHP

whip

I normally use Zero, but their availability has always been an issue (even in the past) and I was thinking about switching to Montana Gold because they always seem to have stock.

In the descriptions, Zero claims 0.356 and Montana Gold claims 0.357

Is this even an issue?

Montana Gold also has a 124 grain JHP in .355, but it is not on their website at the moment. An alternative is MG's 357 SIG bullet at .355.

Either way, .357 is okay on the 38 Super. In fact, Schuemann recommends a jacketed bullet .001 to .002 inches larger than the barrel's groove diameter for the best accuracy.

http://38super.net/Pages/355%20vs%20356.html

Cool. I have been using Zero for a long time and was nervous about switching and even more nervous when I saw the 0.001" difference. Good to know it isn't a big deal.

Any other differences in MG bullets that would cause me to hesitate on switching?

Montana Gold also has a 124 grain JHP in .355, but it is not on their website at the moment. An alternative is MG's 357 SIG bullet at .355.

Either way, .357 is okay on the 38 Super. In fact, Schuemann recommends a jacketed bullet .001 to .002 inches larger than the barrel's groove diameter for the best accuracy.

http://38super.net/Pages/355%20vs%20356.html

BTW: Thanks for the link. That is some good stuff.

http://38super.net/P...355 vs 356.html

BTW: Thanks for the link. That is some good stuff.

You're welcome

With all the craziness going on now and 9mm availability is pretty much non existent. I was thinking about buying some of the 125 gr JHP bullets from Montana gold but they are marked for 357 sig and I'm not sure if the bullet shape will lend itself to being run through a 38 super schuemann barrel. I need something and I prefer the JHP as opposed to the CMJ style bullet

• 2 months later...

With all the craziness going on now and 9mm availability is pretty much non existent. I was thinking about buying some of the 125 gr JHP bullets from Montana gold but they are marked for 357 sig and I'm not sure if the bullet shape will lend itself to being run through a 38 super schuemann barrel. I need something and I prefer the JHP as opposed to the CMJ style bullet

Did you try the 357 bullets?

I have used tens of thousands of the Zero R161 .38 Super JHP. They measure .356 every time. They would get more business if the availibility was better. Even prior to the recent panic they were spotty. Better to get on the list at a place like Shooters Connection and buy as much as possible when they have them. Having said that I shoot the Montana Gold 9mm 115 CMJ, JHP, and their 124 JHP and they work fine.

I have used tens of thousands of the Zero R161 .38 Super JHP. They measure .356 every time. They would get more business if the availibility was better. Even prior to the recent panic they were spotty. Better to get on the list at a place like Shooters Connection and buy as much as possible when they have them. Having said that I shoot the Montana Gold 9mm 115 CMJ, JHP, and their 124 JHP and they work fine.

That is interesting. I have used about 26k in the last 12 months and they were all .355

1) The Zero 121gn .38 Super J-RNHP runs about 0.3555" and is very accurate in 9x19, 9x21, and .38 Super.

2) The MG 124gn 9mm J-ConicalHP runs 0.355" and is almost as accurate as the Zero, but the Zero feeds just slightly better.

3) Bullets are made special for the .357 Sig since it was designed exclusively for 124-125gn FP or HP bullets (not RN) with a reduced bearing surface due to the short neck. .357 Sig bullets work great in 9x19, 9x21, and .38 Super. Going the other way, I have heard, can be a frustrating issue.

4) 0.357" jacketed bullets work great in 9x19, 9x21, and .38 Super and are often available when 0.355" bullets aren't. In fact, if I didn't have the 9mm/.38 Super bullets I stocked up on (why didn't the rest of you?), I would have no issue buying cases of MGs .38/142gr FMJ

or

.38/125gr JHP

. Of course, they are OOS also.

The 357 sig bullets worked fine in my m&p9 pro the accuracy was roughly the same (head box at 20yds but I'm not patient) as the 124 JHP stuff both Montana gold. Haven't been brave enough to put them through the race gun yet I don't want to leave that little of the bearing surface in the case just yet. I'll finish off the last 1000 ish of the 124's before I develop a new load with the 125's.