Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning range bag?

kmca

I've got a Shooter's Connection bag and it's still in very good shape, except it's starting to look a little too well "seasoned". How do you clean it? Washing machine? Rug shampoo?

Thanks.

Edited by kmca

Never owned a Shooters Connection bag, but I have thrown the bags I have into the washing machine with no ill effects (after emptying them of course). I don't put them in the dryer though, I just let them sit and dry on their own.

I actually did email Chuck this morning, and he replied within minutes (gotta love customer service like that). He said he's heard of using the washing machine or even someone took it to a car wash. I think I'm going to try the washing machine. Can anyone recommend a fabric softener :P

Rather than use your washing machine, take it to the closest coin op laundromat and use one of the larger front loading machines. That way all the left over grit, lead contamination, etc... that doesn't get flushed out of the machine gets put into the next poor souls laundry, not yours.

I've hand washed my range bags in a large 10 gallon plastic tub with a tablespoon of laundry detergent then rinsed it with the garden hose. Of course that was in August and it was almost 100 degrees, not January!

I would not recommend washing your range bag in a washer with an agitator. The best thing is to wash it in a commercial front load machine without an agitator as stated above. The bag will not get twisted out of shape. It is probably a good idea to stuff the pockets with news paper to retain the shape as it dries.

Rather than use your washing machine, take it to the closest coin op laundromat and use one of the larger front loading machines. That way all the left over grit, lead contamination, etc... that doesn't get flushed out of the machine gets put into the next poor souls laundry, not yours.

I've hand washed my range bags in a large 10 gallon plastic tub with a tablespoon of laundry detergent then rinsed it with the garden hose. Of course that was in August and it was almost 100 degrees, not January!

Ok, it's off to the laundramat for me. I know about the temperature, it's under 60 here today!

Seasoned from the dusty conditions we see at the range?

How about using compressed air from a air compressor to get rid of the dust and carpet cleaner for the stains?

No, it's not like it's Piru dust :roflol: Just general grungyness (is that a real word) from sometimes greasy hands, sometimes mud. Good thing I've been too lazy to get to the laundramat....I guess I'll go with the carpet cleaner....thanks.

Edited by kmca

I washed my dusty range bag in my washer at home. Half of the bag looked good, the other half had brown dots in the "pores" of the threads. My guess is when it got to the spin cycle, it forced all of the grunge to that side. I rewashed it and it came out better, but not perfect. It also made the zippers harder to pull. I put wax on them, but again, better but not perfect.

Seasoned from the dusty conditions we see at the range?

How about using compressed air from a air compressor to get rid of the dust and carpet cleaner for the stains?

I live in the southwest region... so i rarely see rain... i just use compressed air to dust it off...

How about just turn it upside down and shake it? that gets the random dirt and junk out.

Then leave it dirty, as a badge of honor. I don't trust a 3 gun shooter with an unscratched gun, or a production shooter without holster wear. Leave the safe queens for the other forums, we Run and Gun!

(just found I had started to wear off some of the finish from my new custom STI carry gun. My first thought was "sweet")

Been dealing with nylon parapak and cordura and ripstop for a few years...

Hand wash in a bucket or large sink with simple green or woolite. Use a stiff plastic bristled brush as needed. Rinse until no suds. Hang in shade to dry changing position occasionally.

jj