Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Drum mags

TriggerT

OK, I know calling them "Drum Mags" isn't the correct name, but that style of AR mag has been impossible to find for so long, I forgot what the correct name is.

Anyway, my question is with the AWB no gone could you use one of these 80-100 rounds mags in you AR for Open class?

You could use it in any division for USPSA three gun.

I think you're probably referring to the "Beta-C Mag."

The new street price for them is $250. You can get a nice kit with all the accessories and a belt pouch for it for $280.

I think that's about how much they cost back in 1994 before the Great Darkness!

We had a guy in our monthly 3-gun match use one last month. He didn't have to reload through the whole match! And I mean between stages too! :lol:

I'm not sure how rugged or reliable they are, but I'm going to get one if I can scratch together some dough-re-mi. It'd it awesome on my house gun!

I purchased a now-collector's-edition "LEO" varient Beta a few years ago. They are great fun in full auto M4, by the way, but unless it is a 50-round flat-footed stage the extra weight is kind of annoying.

Alex

Dude, if you have social situations that are so tense that you think you need a Beta-C...I am staying the hell away from your neck of the woods! :D

At the Inland Empire 3-Gun we had a stage where you started with 10 rounds in your rifle. You engaged a bunch of bowling pins (18 I think) from 10 to 40 yards offhand (the brush and shooting situation meant that going prone wasn't really a good option). When you ran dry you went down range, and after using the old shotgun which was staged you retrieved an additional mag (or mags) out of an ammo can and retreated to your rifle to finish off the bowling pins. This was my favorite stage of the whole match.

Anyway, at least two people staged Beta-C mags in the ammo can. I saw one of them dropped, hard, then kicked in the scramble to retireve it and finally picked up and used. It ran flawlessly. At the end of the match he broke out his full auto to assist in the unloading process and it continued to run flawlessly. I asked him if that mag was tempermental and he told me that as long as you don't drop it, when full, on the feed lips it was very rugged. But that much weight hitting the feed lips meant sudden death of the mag.

I hefted his rifle with the nearly full Beta-C on it and I wouldn't want one in a social situation unless I was laying down suppressive fire from a bunker. Too heavy, too slow to index.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read that the Beta mag using interchangable mag adapters - so the 223 drum can fit an AR or Galil by interchanging the part that sticks in the mag well. So, if you trash the feedlips, theoretically you should be able to rebuilt the mag by just replacing that part. As much of a mag junkie I am, I think I'd rather have 13 30 round mags than one Beta mag.

I haven't a clue Eric. Never owned one. Full-Auto Tommy has one (he was one of the two that I saw at the IE 3-Gun with one) so ask him.

I am still reallll tempted to buy one just because I can now. But I want one that was made TODAY. Commemorative stamping and all that hoohaw. :D

Dude, if you have social situations that are so tense that you think you need a Beta-C...I am staying the hell away from your neck of the woods! :D

Hey, you never know what's going to happen!

It could be:

1. Hordes of Spikey-haired Mutants swarming over the ridge in the distance

2. Mobs of killer mutated cannibalistic zombies

3. A family reunion

4. Alien Invasion!

5. A "Red Dawn" scenario (which might be somewhat amusing given that Cuba would be on their own)

6. Open season on lawyers, insurance salesmen, and polititicans

6. Open season on lawyers, insurance salesmen, and polititicans

very not cool. :angry:

All are people who we love to hate, until you need them. I realize it is a joke, but there is truth in the fact that they are a needed part of our society. :rolleyes:

Put "litigious" in between "our" and "society."