Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

[This thread is going to run borderline of Forum guidelines, but I'm going to throw it out anyway in the hopes that this doesn't devolve into a political muckfest or a conspiracy theory telethon.]

I would like to suggest, that as an industry we look at the ban sunset as a golden opportunity to defeat another ban. I think the way we do that is to put so many standard capacity magazines onto the market that any attempt to further regulate them becomes an act of futility. I would propose that this is done as a low, to no-profit activity on everyone's part if it is done in volume.

I'm not suggesting that if Jim Bob wants to buy a 30 rounder, he gets it for cost. What I will suggest, is that if Jim Bob and his shooting buddies get together and buy a case quantity of mags (say like 100) that the transaction be done at cost, or just slightly over to cover overhead. If I can get someone to play ball with me, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and try to do so locally.

I know this suggestion will irritate some people, but I'm going to throw it out there as a means of possibly saving ourselves from another ban. Think of it as selling computers by giving away a free operating system. It's a model that we know works. People will be incented to buy new firearms in the knowledge that there will be magazines available.

(I am also NOT suggesting that Brazos or Grams start giving away tuned S_I mags. They provide a valuable service and deserve to be paid for it. )

The manufactures can then recover the cost of selling standard capacity mags at cost by jacking up the price of the 10 rounds mags that go to states that have their ban like California. Then limit all mags shipped into those states to ONLY 10 rounds, no LE standard capacity mags. If it's good enough for the people, it's good enough for LE. That's about the only way you can get the state laws to change.

reminds me of the proposal to boycott gas stations on one particular day to bring the oil majors to their knees...

--Detlef

How did you come up with that? How is that even similar? Who is proposing boycotting anything? I am proposing that we reduce the profit motive on magazines so that everyone, gun manufacturers, accessory manufacturers, gunsmiths, etc. may profit in the long haul. I fail to see the "free energy" aspect of it.

I, for one, have not bought a Caspian because of mag availability.

A lot of manufacturers are holding off on production due to uncertainty. All I'm saying is let's do what it takes to eliminate any uncertainty in market demand. Time to prime the pump.

Perfect idea.

My local gun store guy was discussing this with me. He said that he heard that Glock has 5 million standard mags waiting and ready to ship. I said, "5 million? Are you sure?"

He claims that it is true and it will make any further attempts to ban pointless.

Unfortunately, the most important voices on this subject haven't spoken on this yet. I mean of course, the manufacturers like STI/SVI, ParaOrdnance, etc. It makes perfect logical sense, particularly for smaller outfits like STI/SVI, since if hi-caps are ever permanently banned and the new ban authors wised up about "spare mag parts," they'd be an endangered species as far as businesses go.

That said, I'm not holding my breath on the possibility of them doing it. Heck, I doubt the prices will even go down to pre-ban levels. I think they'll probably just want to take advantage of the higher profit margins the used hi-cap market has set during the ban that they couldn't enjoy.

Hi Mark - well, it has happened, ATF accepts & informs us that the LEO marked mags are OK to own (http://www.atf.gov) & there are at least 2 responses:

1)Beretta and Taurus are granting certificates for 2 free normal cap ("pre bans" - guese they are "post-sunset" now) magazines event o guys who bought before the sunset.

2) One of my favorite companies, CDNN (the "big lots" of guns) had 12 & 14 rnd Steyr mags for the M40 & M9 for LEO ONLY for the last several years - price? $9.99. Then, a week ago, they claim they "sold out" of LEO mags. Miraculously, they then "found a stach of 50 magazines". Price? A mere $39.

BTW, there was a guy on GlockTalk good enough to take pre-orders for Glock magazines @ $20 (fair price I guese - I usualy paid $16.99 for 10 rounders) and here is the interesting part - he had the new H&K made mags for the AR-15! (only $50, but knowing HK prices for pistol mags, I doubt that price will drop much).

Douglas