Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

relax or aggressive?

Rosshooting

Powerman,

I am no expert on this and you will find it explained in Brian Enos's book much better, but I find when I go to the line and have the LAMR command, I must consciously force myself to relax right before the buzzer.

To me, if all of your muscles are tense, then you are mentally tense as well.

I like to use the analogy (I thought I hated analogies) of a glock trigger. In order to shoot it well, you can't completely let off the trigger, you have to learn where the trigger resets and always have the slack taken out of it. The same with your muscles. If you are completely relaxed, you have to take the "slack" up prior to getting any useful work from them. But on the other hand, too much tenseness will actually require you to relax a bit to move because you are 'locked-up'. Kind of not letting the trigger reset. You have to let off just a bit to get it to work.

my analogies suck but the idea would be to be "Frosty, but not Frozen" at the "Stand By" command.

Purely the ramblings of a "B"class shooter who is so new to the classification that he has to carry a card with him to show him how to spell "B".

FWIW

dj

I know that tension will slow down your draw. One of the best tips I was given early on was to relax just before the buzzer. I take on the start position (surrender, hands at sides, etc) then, when I hear "Are you ready?" I take a deep breath, and when I let it out, I try to let go of all muscle tension in my body. Let the tension come naturally at the 1st sound of the buzzer - and just what tension is needed to accomplish the goal. Hope this is helpful. D.

My opinion: The right answer is to have no unnecessary tension, either physical or mental.

Give your body the opportunity to perform the right motions, which means remove all antagonistic tension. Keep your mind perfectly clear, with your intent very focused on the desired goal.

I'm not sure when "aggressive" became a positive thing. I generally find it interfers with optimum performance. A very clear "intent" is a positive thing.

It seems so simple when written down. Now, if we could only do what we know we should :P

Kevin

I keep telling myself to relax when I shoot, I'm usually relaxed until I get on deck and then the tension builds up. I shot a big match once and the first stage I shot my bladder bothered me before the LAMR then it was all over. 2 mikes on the first stage of a big match. :( I usually do good in club matches, even beating a couple of masters on a regular basis. :D It's all mental I tell you. josh

Religious Shooter and TriggerT took the words right out of my brain. Relaxation is a must, but if I relax TOO much then my grip on the gun begins to decay... causing all MANNER of problems. I also have to mentally "claim" the target as mine (a method for 'focusing' and shutting out all else)(like a cat stalking something in the brush) and further 'claim' the portion of it I want to hit--and that takes a little predatory vibe or two... getting territorial with my target. Without that, I have no gut-level motivational involvement. But it's a very fine line, that 'predatory territorial' thing. When I'm walking the fine line well, however, I'm usually apt to hit the center of the target or close to it. B)