Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 press or 2 ?

Ok yes another newby with questions ! Here is my delima i am wanting to make 9mm and .223. Ive been doing alot of reading and i am torn on one hand im looking at the 550b for both calibers and i have just roughly guesstamated around 900 bucks. And i still have to switch back and forth between the 2. Now on the other hand i thought about buying the square deal for 9 and the getting a LnL AP for .223 do roughly bout the same money but i end up with 2 presses and i dont need to switch calibers. So am i thinking correctly or am i missing something ?? Please lets hear ur comments good or bad.

Edited by goose2125

With the same size primer conversion on the 650 is single digit minutes. So one press will do.

I have friends that keep two 650's just to load both primer sizes without pain.

You should be able to get into a 650 for under 1000 from Brian with most all the bells and whistles

Good luck.

George

I load .30 Carbine, .38 Spcl, 9mm, .40, .45, .223 & .300 BLK on one press, the LnL AP. I simply have no need for another press. If I bought another, it would be a 1050 for really churning out lots of pistol rounds quickly, but shooting 3-5 matches per month I just don't need another press.

If you are new to reloading, I would start out with one press for the time being. Of the two you mentioned, I would start out with the LNL (which I use) as the dies can be used in another press unlike the SDB. You can also throw in an RCBS Lockout die in a station to help you uncover a mistake that you might make with an under or over powder throw. If you don't like the LNL after you have used it for awhile, you can sell it and get a good price out of it. Or, if you like it, you can buy another LNL for a different caliber.

i want to reload 9mm and .223. for 900 bucks.

Sorry, hit the wrong button and don't see where to edit it:(

Goose, it depends on :

1. how many rounds of 9mm and .223 are you planning on reloading a month or year?

2. how much time do you have to reload?

Best way is to buy two 1050's for $5000 :devil:

Lot of advantages to having a 650 to load the .223.

Are you loading 9mm minor or major? Depending on the quantity produced,

and the amount of time you have to reload, the Square Deal might be pretty

good choice. But, if you already have a 650, make more sense to switch

calibers.

Really depends on your personal situation - how much space do you have in

your reloading bench? how much money do you have? etc.

:cheers:

I just ordered a steel master so prob 9 minor and as for .223 i shoot 3 or 4 cases a year. So not alot of rounds compared to sum but alot more than sum others as i own and operate my own tactical range basically we shoot mainly like 3 gun stuff. So now i am leaning towards the 650 for both calibers.

Yes it will be worth every penny because as we al know ammo is not goin to be getting any cheaper anytime soon. So iam going to be willing to do what needs to b done. As for space i have a 16x18 building going up right now for the soul purpose of man cave/reloading room so i will have plenty of room.

I did the 2 550 press thing for some time. It worked great for me because I had one set for Large primers and one for small. After that it was a tool head per caliber.

I now use one press.

If I were looking to buy now, I think I would go the 650 route with tool heads for each caliber. If I wanted to load a LOT of 9mm, I would add a Square deal to the bench dedicated to 9MM and use the 650 for everything else.

Good choice.

I use a 1050 for 223 and 308 (and a 650 for pistol). the trubs with the 1050 is the cost, each head for different calibers is over $200...plus the caliber kit, plus dies...gets expensive on the 1050, but it is ohh sooo nice!

You will need two heads for each rifle round you will reload and a Super Swager for military brass, (unless you buy sized/trimmed brass). One head for processing and one for loading.

then with pistol you will only need one head each caliber. Dorn't worry about primer size changing, it only takes 5 - 10 minutes to change, even without having seperate primer systems.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I have a 1050 and a 650. I load the high volume pistol rounds ( 9mm Major ) on the 1050 and convert the 650 to load the 3 other calibers I use. If I was looking to load only 9mm and .223 like you are I would buy a 650 and setup two seperate toolheads. Specially since both use small primers. Stick with Dillon equipment you will be happier in the long run. Better to spend a little more the first time and get the best.

can't beat blue equipment. I agree with the flexibility. change overs are easy especially if you have the duplicate tool heads. I am trying to decide whether to add a 1050 since i load so much .40. Not sure it is worth the money to have two?

I am finding out that u and everyone else are correct about going with the blue. Im convinced

So many guys who don't listen to good advice of competitive shooters suggesting Dillion loaders have cried on my shoulder after buying a different color. And they ALL said " I should have paid a litle bit more and got the Dillon".

post-19948-0-91823200-1348117422_thumb.j

Edited by Reinz