Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Test Rate

tohm

Hello,

I have an STI Edge 40. Since i am shooting multiple venues with it i need a heavy and light load so i purchased the two full sets of recoil springs from Wolf. In order not to get messed up I am going to make a spring tester, and in the design i was looking at one post where the spring is compressed to a little over one and a half inches. So my question is, do i make my tester to read the depressed rate of? I was thinking of using an electronic trigger pull gauge to get a two for one deal, since i am going to be running light recoil springs i would think?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Tom

A factory rated 8 lbs spring will measure a static force of 8 lbs at 1.625" oal? I want to make a gauge to easily and accurately compare springs quickly.

Thank you,

Tom

Secure Firearm Products (a BE Vendor) makes a spring tester and uses a Digital scale. it is sold factory direct or from Dillon, Brownells, or Shooters Connection. A new adapter is available after Feb 1st so you can test mainsprings and firing pin springs as well.

The link to the Spring Tester in the SFP Store is https://store.securefirearmproducts.com/product_info.php?products_id=87

Edited by ffl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the spring tester mentioned above. I was told by the 1st place I contacted customers had reported the digital scale to be inaccurate. But I could not think of a digital scale being that bad so I ordered one from Dillon. The problem I find is holding the fixture and scale assembly stable long enough to get an accurate reading. So I am going to modify a bar clamp this week to hold the assembly and allow the digital scale to stabilize at a fixed distance to get an accurate reading, has anyone else come up with another solution?

Tom

I am sorry to hear of your problem. A little background on our products. We used at first a spring scale and it was resonalbly accurate however it was only as accurate at what your eyes could see on the scale. We then decided to use a digital scale they are more accurate and more sensitive. I understand the problem. Digital scales are accurate to .02 lbs (the one we use). That is a small accuracy range and holding the scale steady to get a truly accurate rate is difficult at best. The product was designed to provide a way to determine the spring rate of your springs and give a reasonable guide to replace them if need be. Or to determine what the spring rate is because most of us do not remember from one day to the next many imnportant things let alone what spring was put in a gun 6 months ago. The standard accuracy of related products on the market are +- 1/2 lb which should give a person a close enough guide.

I like your product, perhaps it is just me but I want to know what the spring value is and that is why i went with the electronic version. If you can hold it steady enough it seems good. However as in other manufacturing scale systems i have been involved with in the past if you want accurate data you have to allow the scale to stabilize and i understand that it takes time and a stable load. If it were made where it could be clamped in a vice it would make it far easier for the average shooter. I want the digital scale accuracy and am willing to make some additional items to make it happen (I figure under $20) and then my quest for zero will be closer at hand. I bought a whole bag of springs in 1 pound increments and i would like to know what works and be able to repeat it based on accurate data. Maybe i have worked in industry (or been reloading) too long but I like data that is repeatable. Good product would recommend just want a little more.

Thanks

Tom

I just recieved the "SR-D" spring tester. I did not know about the FP spring adaptor now available so I will be getting one of those ASAP.

Yes, the spring tester is very simple - but, from my test so far it WORKS. I could fiddle with some PVC pipe, parts, and pieces and probably assembly one for $5, but this kit is very good and ready to go when the Brownells box arrives. Sometimes we pay folks for what they know, not necessarily how many parts are in a box. After all, time is money.

Very pleased wit the product. Tested about a dozen springs including factory new and it was right on the money.

Now if I can figure out why I have so many 14 lbs springs laying around....

you may purchase the adapter from us https://store.securefirearmproducts.com/product_info.php?products_id=88 or from Brownells, Dillion or Shooters Connection. They are not in their inventory yet as the supply pipeline has not caught up to the demands, hopefully that will correct itself soon.

rhett45acp you have so many 14 lb springs because you are like me. you take one out and put in a box or bag and don't tag it. When we need a new spring we can't remember what the one in the bag is so we buy another one.

CRS Syndrome is the pits

DCS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I got the spring tester mentioned above. I was told by the 1st place I contacted customers had reported the digital scale to be inaccurate. But I could not think of a digital scale being that bad so I ordered one from Dillon. The problem I find is holding the fixture and scale assembly stable long enough to get an accurate reading. So I am going to modify a bar clamp this week to hold the assembly and allow the digital scale to stabilize at a fixed distance to get an accurate reading, has anyone else come up with another solution?

Tom

PM sent

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry to hear of your problem. A little background on our products. We used at first a spring scale and it was resonalbly accurate however it was only as accurate at what your eyes could see on the scale. We then decided to use a digital scale they are more accurate and more sensitive. I understand the problem. Digital scales are accurate to .02 lbs (the one we use). That is a small accuracy range and holding the scale steady to get a truly accurate rate is difficult at best. The product was designed to provide a way to determine the spring rate of your springs and give a reasonable guide to replace them if need be. Or to determine what the spring rate is because most of us do not remember from one day to the next many imnportant things let alone what spring was put in a gun 6 months ago. The standard accuracy of related products on the market are +- 1/2 lb which should give a person a close enough guide.

can these be used/adapted for other guns other than the 1911? I have a lot of springs for my glock that i would like to check also

Rather than drag around a spring tester how about marked Ziploc bags to differentiate between springs that are in your range bag? One bag for new and another for used that aren't worn out. Whenever you pull a spring drop it in the appropriate bag....