Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Reload, looking for the M/GM critique

wes777

I realize that I should film my stages, but for now I will have to stick with filming my dryfire.

I am an A shooter, and am fairly consistent. I am looking for some feedback to concentrate on in practice that will help me shave that little bit in a match. I am getting the gun out and aimed in about a second in the house, and on the range it is running a pretty consistent 1.4-1.5. My reload is about 1.2 in the house, and about 1.6-1.7 on the range.

th_Movieon131-2-at300PM_zps37a05552.jpg

th_Movieon131-2-at302PM_zpsea9da097.jpg

th_Movieon131-2-at306PM_zps6937af07.jpg

th_Movieon131-2-at303PM_zpsaab9c098.jpg

Edited by wes777

Not a master or GM but seems to me that you're using the wrong hand. LOL!! Just kidding.

Hard to tell but couldn't you scoot your mags up a bit right by the front of your hip bone to reduce your reach a bit? Again hard to tell. Just my 2 cents. Your static reloads look good. In dryfire practice do you practice reloading on the move, since most all reloads in a stage should be while moving? I like to set up two square shooting boxes a few feet apart and practice reloading while moving to the other box and coming into that position on target. May work for you.

Edited by phearkno1

I try to be safe with placement. Problem is, after reading the rule, I am uncertain where the limit is. A picture of the gun and mag pouches at the forward limit would really help me visualize where they can be.

A picture of gun and mag placement doesn't help as it will look different for different body builds.

The best way I've found is to place a finger on the foremost part of your hip bone and adjust your mag/gun accordingly (behind that point). Using a mirror, standing sideways is easiest. Also, before each match, I will have a couple of the most experienced ROs double check.

No GM/M either but I agree with Flex, you bring your gun way back almost to your chest. Keep it out there. As long as the mag is not in front of your hip bone your fine.

I'm not so sure on keeping it out there. That probably works best if you have a bigger target to hit (double-stack magwell) and aren't moving. Getting it in close seems to give better control. Of course, he isn't moving in the video. But, I was going to suggest he start. Not too many standing reloads in Single-stack.

What I was commenting on was what appeared to be a slowness in getting the gun back out after the mag insertion.

Of course, he isn't moving in the video. But, I was going to suggest he start. Not too many standing reloads in Single-stack.

Thats the first thing I thought of when I watched the videos.

Sounds like you are on par with me(1.5ish seconds for shot/reload/shot on a 7yd target)... The press out onto target is the slowest part, but realistically besides classifiers and screw ups, you rarely run into standing reloads during a stage(assuming you planned it well). I'd start practicing moving and reloading, especially 1-2 step movements. I see most reload mess ups (including myself) at in those situations. Where you have to scoot over a little/move around a wall to engage the next array.

Mike.

I am working on the standing reloads because they, combined with my draw are the weak point I can work on at home right now. I am not hurting on moving reloads. My worst stages are classifiers or short stages which require standing reloads. It combines my weakest points right now: Standing draw to shot and standing reload.

That is why I am here.

Gotcha.

Standing reload... You are wasting a good amount of time reaching for the back mags...Move all the pouches up to where the front of your hip bones are... it will reduce the shoulder twist you are doing to get to the back mags which cost you time to get back to a square stance.

And like mentioned the push back on target(which I think is part due to your shoulder being twisted backwards).

Mike.

Is that how you always practice them?

That's a pretty big chunk of activity for the brain to process as a learning activity...kinda like shooting a stage over and over for practice.

It seems like they get slower as you work around the belt, similar to a weight lifter doing his last couple of reps.

Have you tried the Burkett reloads from my first book? They do a great job of isolating the first half of the reload and getting it as quick as possible.

Also, if it's classifier goodness you're after, let's get really quick at the number 1 reload and not worry quite so much about going round the whole belt. (Which looks pretty good, as others have said)

I have a new tweak for the second half of the reload too... :)

Practice what you will experience the majority of the time during a stage run. How often do you have a stage that consists of "Draw then Shoot 1 shot, reload, shoot 1 shot, reload, shoot 1 shot, reload, shoot 1shot". I would say that a stage like that would be VERY unlikely in a match. Also think about the repetitive habit you are building by immediately dropping the gun after taking only one shot. How often during a stage run do you take one shot at a target then drop the gun down? I would say that is also VERY unlikely in a match.

As others have already pointed out, since you are shooting single stack 99% of your reloads will be done while moving from one shooting position to another. The only time you should be stuck with a standing reload is when your stage plan goes belly up and you shoot to slide lock or you are shooting a classifier stage that mandates a standing reload. Since the vast majority of the time you will be doing reloads as you move to the next shooting position it would make sense to practice that skill. To add on top of that, it would also make sense to practice engaging multiple targets with multiple rounds each before initiating the reload since you would experience that type of shooting challenge far more than firing a single shot before the reload.

Practice is only as effective as you make it. Create relevant dry fire practice scenarios so your practice efforts will effectively translate to what you will experience in a match. Lastly maximize the use of your training tools. In the video it sounds like you are using a CED 7000 timer with a par time. This timer has the ability to set multiple Par times within the same string. You can use the multiple par time beeps to accurately break down the time it takes to get separate things done. These tools allow you to train smarter.