Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My last cigarette

Xcaliber

At this stage in my life, I am sadly down to only two vices, expensive scotch and cigarettes. But now the time has come to part with one of them.

Between my wife's medical bills, my mother's remaining nursing home bills (may she RIP), and a new car which, unlike to old one, doesn't catch fire when I start it, I was forced to make some choices. So the other day I decided to give up cigarettes. When I did the math, it was clear that the money I spend on cigarettes in a year is enough to buy a JP and a decent shotgun for 3 gun, with some left over for a die set to load .223. That's a lot of cash wasted over the past 30+ years. So far at least, smoking hasn't caused any damage, which according to my doctor is a combination of luck and my freakish genetics. But luck soon runs out and I really want to build a rifle, so something had to go and it sure isn't going to be my scotch! It's bad enough I had to give up other women when I got married.

So I'm sitting here staring at a dirty ashtray and fighting the urge to lick it. Yesterday, someone left a half smoked cigarette butt in the ashcan outside of a store and for a split second I thought about picking it up. That was the moment when I realized that I had to quit for good this time. Now every time I get the urge to smoke, I dry fire or practice zazen until it passes. My left arm hurts and I still feel far from one with the universe, but I am determined. In fact, it is already done. I am no longer a smoker.

I've got a friend at work who is hindu and apparently lives on the dew of a single gingko leaf and the energy of the universe. He says if I eat some of the twigs and compost he calls food, I will feel more energized and my body will rid itself of all the toxins I have accumulated. Yea, good luck with that. I was a musician; my body is on the superfund list right after New Jersey. But before that I was in excellent shape, so perhaps this is one of those times when you have to go backwards in order to go forward.

Anyway, I've told everyone now, so I can't very well back out. Tomorrow I'll go to work, eat some twigs and compost for lunch and try not to choke the next person who tells me how much better off I'm going to be now that I have given up such a disgusting habit. :angry2:

Well, I don't know anything about the smoking part as I've never had a smoke in my life, so I'll let others tell you how hard/easy that will be.

I'm trying to make a change in my own life with eating better (I've had a couple cheats already), and exercising to make this body healthier. Unlike quitting smoking, it's costing me a bit more money, but whatever. It makes me happy :)

Hope you can laugh about this later & wonder why you didn't do it years ago.....as I sometimes do.

I'm with ya. I gave up the smokes mid November. Have not had one since. Some days are a breeze others suck ass. Hang in there and good luck. I do find it easier because I have started working out again and feel much better as a whole. Again congrats!!!! :cheers:

I quit cold turkey about 10 years ago. It's not easy but time will come when you will stop thinking about how long it has been since you've had your last one. When I stopped counting, that's when I realized I've kicked the habit for good.

Nowadays, I just smile when I see how much a pack costs. Congats to you!!!

I've quit so many times I can't count them any more. But like you, I know now that it's time to do it for good. 30+ years is long enough and I know I'm pushing my luck. Funny thing is I don't even dread the nicotine withdrawl, it's just too short lived to worry about. What I really dread is actually going without them. I one of those that actually like them, unlike a lot of others that only smoke because of the nicotine addiction. Yes they are nasty and smelly, but not as much as snuff or chew.

I'm blessed with good overall health. My BP is text book, my cholesterol is in the 130s, and my triglycerides are actually just barely under the "normal" level. The other part I dread is that I already need to lose some weight, and when I get off of these, I'll have more to drop. Cigarettes are the best appetite suppressant there is I think.

This time I'm going to go a different route. I'm going to try the electronic. I tried one the other day that I think I can transition to pretty easily. It's actually a lot like a real cigarette but not near as nasty and with American made juice I don't have to worry about what's in it like with the Chinese stuff. Doctors tell me to go for it, that the nicotine itself isn't really harmful. It's all the other compounds in the smoke that are. They say it's no worse than caffeine. This route I can taper off gradually and still get what I enjoy.

Edited by Shadowrider

Quintuple bypass didn't stop me. Another heart attack 6 years later convinced me to stop.

Wife brought me a book from library. Think it was by American Lung Association, but can't remember for sure. There were all sorts of methods for quitting none of which I thought would work for me. However, one method struck me and I tried it.

I logged every cigarette I smoked, what I liked about it, how I felt after it, etc. A pattern emerged: I wasn't getting anything out of them. After about 2 weeks of keeping the log I stopped smoking without any problem.

For decades I was convinced I was addicted. What I discovered was that it wasn't addiction (for me). It was a habit.

Two weeks after stopping I took a gamble and smoked two cigarettes to see what happened. To my surprise I did not start smoking again.

That was over six years ago and so far has been incredibly easy. Rarely even think about it anymore.

Good luck to you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

I am with reloader901, I quit chewing over a year ago and it was not an addiction (chewed for over 25yrs) it was simple a habit. Once I got over the habit, it was easy. That being said, there are times when I do have that craving to have a chew, but it isn't that bad. Be strong brother! It will be good in time.

Here is a trick that worked for me. YMMV

Just tell yourself that you are not going to smoke that cigarette right now. "I'll just wait an hour and then I can think about it again." Just keep doing that.

Just keep putting it off a little bit longer each time. Most people are pretty good procrastinators so work that to your advantage. Make smoking something that you don't want to do. Something you want to put off until you absolutely have to. Smoking cannot be a reward, it is a punishment - something you really don't want to do and would rather keep putting off.

Edited by Graham Smith

Thanks all. Fortunately, I work on a smoke free campus so I've gone at least 8hrs a day without smoking for the past 6 months since the change. That made it a bit easier. And I don't want to hang out with the snuff guys...bad experience. The first time I tried it no one told me not to swallow it... :roflol:

I'm going to start my physical training program tomorrow. If anything is going to hold me back it will be my physical condition so I am determined to lose some weight.

Nicotine has a very short half life in the human body (appx 9 hours)

If you can stay nicotine and caffeine free for 72 hours, it will be easier to stop than you think.

CAffeine should be stopped because it's receptors and that of Nicotine are similar, and caffeine slows the rate of nicotine elimination in the human body.

Alcohol consumption actually increases nicotine elimination in the body (which is why drinking more makes you smoke more, your 'hit' doesnt last as long)

Congratulate yourself often.

The first 2 weeks are the toughest. You will feel sick at first. Then really sick as your lungs purge and the cilia regrows to sweep the tar from your lungs.

Be aware nicotine and tar do help you stave off flu/cold viruses. You may get really sick when a virus hits you next.

Your throat, sinuses and tonsils are gonna hurt. When all that tar is being purged be prepared for the black goop. And a mouth that truly tastes rotten.

Your tongue will grow a black 'fur'.

All these things are normal. It is your body healing itself.

Each time you want a smoke, use some dental rinse instead. Swish and savour that burn in your mouth, and think of what you subjected your lungs to for all those years.

Stick with it. It'll be 11 years for me in April. It took me a long time, but it's the best thing I ever did. It WILL get easier. But don't think it's so easy you can have just one now and then. I went on and off the wagon for a year like that.

Kevin

I quit a bit over 30 years ago. For the first 10 or so I could tell you the day, for the next 10 I could tell you the month, now I can't remember the exact year. At the time, I was burning up to three packs a day. I was ADDICTED. I woke up one morning and as was my norm, I had a cigarette in my hand before my feet hit the ground. That morning, I decided that I was quitting, right then and there. I tore up the pack, I went downstairs and crushed a carton. Then I went to work. We were driving pilings at the time and I was down in the pit. I announced loudly that I had quit smoking, that anyone that would smoke was a damned fool. Essentially I set myself up so that I did not dare to fail. I would never have been able to return to work, actually I think they would have buried me. Anyway it worked. I did lapse one night 6 months later, but was smart enough not to lapse for two days. Now 30 plus years later, I am still an addict. Were I to have one, I'd be hooked again just as if I never quit.

So, Congratulations on quitting. You are going to learn to hate the smell of smoke, you will also learn to taste your food and smell subtle things you never could before. In addition at $6 plus a pack you will be so much money ahead, you;ll be able to partake m=of many other vices.

Stick with it and should you lapse even for one cigarette, don't despair, just pick up and continue on with the quitting. Don't let a lapse make you quit quitting!

I quit a bit over 30 years ago. For the first 10 or so I could tell you the day, for the next 10 I could tell you the month, now I can't remember the exact year. At the time, I was burning up to three packs a day. I was ADDICTED. I woke up one morning and as was my norm, I had a cigarette in my hand before my feet hit the ground. That morning, I decided that I was quitting, right then and there. I tore up the pack, I went downstairs and crushed a carton. Then I went to work. We were driving pilings at the time and I was down in the pit. I announced loudly that I had quit smoking, that anyone that would smoke was a damned fool. Essentially I set myself up so that I did not dare to fail. I would never have been able to return to work, actually I think they would have buried me. Anyway it worked. I did lapse one night 6 months later, but was smart enough not to lapse for two days. Now 30 plus years later, I am still an addict. Were I to have one, I'd be hooked again just as if I never quit.

So, Congratulations on quitting. You are going to learn to hate the smell of smoke, you will also learn to taste your food and smell subtle things you never could before. In addition at $6 plus a pack you will be so much money ahead, you;ll be able to partake m=of many other vices.

Stick with it and should you lapse even for one cigarette, don't despair, just pick up and continue on with the quitting. Don't let a lapse make you quit quitting!

This reminds me of a great uncle I had and how he quit many, many years ago. He was the manager of the machine shop at a large factory. He put up on the bulletin board a reward on himself of $500 to anyone that caught him smoking. It worked. He had one of the guys show him one of the slips from the board about 6 years later. He got a chuckle that the guy was still hoping to collect.

After about 5 days tou can resume caffeine again, but ease into it.

Here is a good kicked as well. If you just quit smoking, get your CO and blood pressure tested.

After 2 weeks get retested. If you are still smoke free your BP should drop by 20 points and CO levels in your blood by 15% since CO is an oxygen depleting agent in blood (negatively affects and displaces O2 in the red cells) you might feel a little dizzy on week 2. That's normal as well. And a good thing. The black fur on your tongue is almost gone now (you will notice) and your

Mouth will taste worse than ever. This is caused by a purge of tar from your tonsil cavities and your trachea.

Tonssiloths will be discharged from your tonsils. Semi hard greenish yellow things. Full of bacteria. They will smell as bad as your breath. Listerine strips will help. Your tonsilar cavities take 5 weeks to clean out and restor function. This is when you can get a nasty bug as your tonsils are purging. Lots of sleep, fluids, and no beer for a month. Clear alcohol if anything.

What else.

Oh. Your circulation will be improving by week 3 or 4. Your feet will be a bit uncomfortable. Swelling is not uncommon, as is sweating feet and a change in toenail thickness.

Also in week 3. You are really gonna have some bad BO. Warm showers neutrogena soap and a cold rinse to close the pores after will help. Your scalp will really purge when the sebacious glands let loose. No help for that, your scalp will be slimy, deal with it. It is also normal.

Usually in week 3 you feel the need for a Nicotine fix(it will come out of the blue). Please star away from ALL Nicotine. Nicotine replacement therapy is a joke. There is

More nicotine in a 2mg piece of gum chewed than in 10 cigarettes. Nicotine is the root problem. You don't cure an alcoholic by telling them that vodka is safer than their favorite gin. Its the biggest lie in smoking cessation that these 'aids' work. They do not. They only serve to keep you addicted.

Your energy level should be improving, and your weight should drop if you dont use food to replace your old habit.

Above all else.

'you are not quitting anything'. There is nothing to 'give up' tell yourself that. Regularly. Smoking is not hard to quit once you realize the biggest lie ever told.

That Lie is that smoking is some kind of enabler. Think about your first cigarette. You actually turned green, you had to condition your body and tell yourself that you liked that awful metallic aftertaste in your mouth, and that the 'high' made you more clear in thinking.

Read Allan Carr's book. You can do it.

Also, buy a speedbag. And gloves. Any time you get a craving at home that mouthwash can't solve, get Physical, and raise those endorphin and adrenaline levels. That will also help break the cycle.

Remember, you are a RECOVERING DRUG ADDICT.

no different than a crack addict or heroin addict.

My exp<b></b>ression is 'you are one away from a pack a day'

Anytime I feel weak, I tell myself that. I am recovering, I am out of the hole and into the light. Within a year, I am officially a non smoker. Within 5 years my risk of heart stroke or circ disease is almost that of a non smoker.

Best of luck

Edited by Got Juice?

Great posts guys. I may not be the op but feel even more inspired!!!! Got juice you hit the nail on the head. Everything you said is exactly how it went down for me. :cheers:

Donnyglock. You are your own hero ;)

You are stronger every day without that crutch

Your quality of life improves every minute

Your vitals improve every day

You are free.

Got juice?,

I experienced almost none of the nasty symptoms you described. Everyone is different.

Also, as I described in a previous post **** MY **** key to quitting was discovering I was NOT addicted as I had believed for over thirty years. MY problem was it was a habit that was easily stopped after realizing that.

Some people are prone to addiction; others are not.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Edited by reloader901