Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Here we go, I am gonna compare my thoughts on the DAA RM, the Manny, the CR Speed, and the Limcat.

I have all of them except Manny's but, I have a friends with one and have used it several times.

CR Speed:

This is the first "race" holster I bought. To be honest, there really is nothing I like about this holster. For me the adjust ability is lacking, the retention is very questionable and it is a pain in the butt to switch divisions (limited/open). The one thing it has going for it is the muzzle plug thingy that makes seated starts a little safer.

Limcat:

I was in love with this holster from the first draw. It literally feels like you are plucking the gun from mid-air on the draw. When it is in the locked position, it is freaking LOCKED! The half lock position is very nice. The lock lever is smooth and long enough to make sure you hit it on the draw... if you are thinking about it. It can be missed with a lapse in concentration. When holstering, I have to hold my gun with my weakhand and dedicate my stornghand to re-locking. The lock lever isn't optimum when moving to the "locked" position.

With the holster unlocked, there is very little retention. The holster can easily be knocked from the holster with a bump. The tension is adjustable, but it is a pain. You literally have to drive the derlin block in or out of the body to adjust. It works but there isn't any fine adjustment.

The hanger leaves a lot to be desired as well. It can't be tightened up enough to prevent rotation on the holster body. I solved this by drilling a hole and pinning the holster in place.

I like the Limcat, but it has a MAJOR problem in my eyes. Complete lack of support or replacement parts. I tried, unsuccessfuly, to contact Limcat to purchase spare parts and an owners manual for several months( I bought the holster used). I was finally able to get an owners manual from a fellow member here. If I could have bought another as a backup, I would probably still be using this holster.

Manny Bragg:

My buddy pick up this holster from Manny last year at ProAm. The retention is excellent. The draw is very good, not as good as the Limcat but better than the CR Speed. There is a bit of "slop" but it doesn't appear to compromise retention. The magnets are kind of cool and seem to "guide the gun back into the holster. The lock is where the wheels fall off of this one for me. The lock lever is just all wrong for me. The lock lever is very long and not positioned very well IMO. i would miss the lock lever at least 50% of the time. This holster also requires the same lock procedure as the Limcat

There are also a lot of screws that need attention. If you don't trim them, you can seriously scratch your gun. There is more adjustability with this holster than with any of the others. This is both a good an bad. You nearly need three hands or a helper to get everything secured but you can certainly put it where you want it.

Did I mention it is ugly as a bag of buttholes?

All in all a solid holster.

Daa Racemaster:

This is my latest holster and was purchased as a backup holster to the Limcat. I thought is would be the closest in actual mechanics to the Limcat.

This is hands down, far and away my favorite. The retention is as good as the Manny, the draw is as good as the Limcat, the adjustibility is more than good enough. The lock is rock solid and the lever is absolutely perfect for me. I can't not hit the lever on the draw if I chose to leave it locked. The lever is so well designed that I can flick it on with the middle finger of my stong hand when holstering. I haven't found a single flaw with this holster. The Limcat is now a backup to the RaceMaster.

These are all my opinions and you may think differently. That is all I can think of for now. I will add more later if anything comes to mind.

Interesting review. Myself, I prefer the SLB/Manny holster over the DAA for several reasons.

False hooks on reholstering with the DAA holster. And a dropped gun results.

Also the ball socket arrangement can and does wear out for the rotation of the angle of the holster over time.

Thise are my only issues with it.

The SLB/Manny Holster. Well yes it looks industrial and makes no apologies for it. I do like that replacement parts (nuts bolts etc) are easily sourced. Which brings up another great point. REAL NUTS AND BOLTS!

I prefer the draw and reholster of the SLB over the DAA hands down better.

Unlocked gun retention. Both are very very good. Slight edge to DAA over the SLB. Very slight.

Durability? My SLB holsters have been trouble free. My own Racemaster was not. But it was an early holster.

Locking lever on the SLB is harder to find than on the DAA no doubt. But with any time spent with the SLB holster and you don't need to use your weakhand at all (not sure why you need yours to relock or unlock...)

My Ghost....It gave up (sorry I had to say that) I was so disappointed it was given away in a week.

I think that choosing between DAA and the SLB will be individual choice.

Something like choosing between a Ferrari (DAA) and a Musclecar (SLB)

Ya, the ferrari is nicer in a lot of ways, but parts are unobtanium in the field, where you can get parts for your musclecar just about anwhere.

To that end, all my holsters are SLB/Manny.

3 complete rigs all setup with the best gear (for me)

And while this post might sound like an axe to grind against DAA it is not. Especially when you look at my latest belt setup. 6 Racemaster pouches in R/W/B, a DAA dlx magnet pouch, DAA single magnet, and a DAA belt.

Cost means nothing for gear that performs for the individual. DAA works best for me in all their gear, just not the holster in my experience.

Edited by Got Juice?

I still prefer th CR Speed over all others. The "secret" to the CR is that it needs to be setup correctly for YOUR gun. Its the only holster that have 3 points of contact on the gun and properly setup has ZERO retention issues. If you have problem with your CR speed, email the friendly people at Rescomp and they will gladly assist you via return email.

I still prefer th CR Speed over all others. The "secret" to the CR is that it needs to be setup correctly for YOUR gun. Its the only holster that have 3 points of contact on the gun and properly setup has ZERO retention issues. If you have problem with your CR speed, email the friendly people at Rescomp and they will gladly assist you via return email.

Nice holsters but they can drop guns too :)

Points of contact is a moot point. Consider that DAA encapsulates the trigger gaurd entirely and has pressure from the block to the dust cover.

Certainly more 'surface area' in contact than the wsmii

Similar to the SLB/Manny holster and many others.

I find it amusing that you can still 'draw' a gun from the WSMii holster while it is locked :)

Try drawing your gun from a locked DAA RM or SLB/MbM holster, and you will give yourself a wedgie that only a proctologist can remove

The fact that I can still draw the gun from the CR holster when my dumbass forgot to take the lock off is a bonus to me.

Not to slam the DAA, just make sure no dirt or dust gets in the holster body. Had an instance where some dirt got blown in between the trigger block/wedge and holster body. Had to remove the gun by dismantling (read breaking) the holster body. Luckily the gun wasn't loaded.

Horses for courses, each to his own and all that...

Edited by 1911aow

The fact that I can still draw the gun from the CR holster when my dumbass forgot to take the lock off is a bonus to me.

Not to slam the DAA, just make sure no dirt or dust gets in the holster body. Had an instance where some dirt got blown in between the trigger block/wedge and holster body. Had to remove the gun by dismantling (read breaking) the holster body. Luckily the gun wasn't loaded.

Horses for courses, each to his own and all that...

Agreed. What I find a little ironic is that IF the SLB/MbM was not available I would most likely HAVE a WSMII holster on my new rig. It is, as you say quite reliable :) and yes, I have drawn from a locked WSM as well. It's not a case of being dumb either. I just tell folks I was REALLY focused on shooting the stage....

Edited by Got Juice?

I have no experience with any of the holsters listed above except the WSM II. The one thing I liked about the CR Speed was that you could pull through the lock, or have it partially locked. More than once if there was a seated start, or some other akward position I would partially lock the holster and just pull through it on the draw. With the lock enabled, I had no fear of the gun falling out of the holster. (I did have a Safariland 013 and didn't like it much at all.)

How is DAA RM compared to Guga Ribas?

Thats a tough one to answer. I think my RM was not what it could have been from the word go.

Guga Ribas is a real nice drawing holster, love how handy the lock is. Retention when unlocked is not in the same league as the RM/SLB/WSM.

How is DAA RM compared to Guga Ribas?

Thats a tough one to answer. I think my RM was not what it could have been from the word go.

Guga Ribas is a real nice drawing holster, love how handy the lock is. Retention when unlocked is not in the same league as the RM/SLB/WSM.

I was told the opposite. Gman said that the GR has better retention unlocked than the RM. I think the RM's is more than adequate but he posted a video of the GR that was pretty impressive.