Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

broken aftec extractor

bassochist

so i was training this evening, and after about 50 rounds, i had an fte, cleared it, and kept on shooting, few rounds later again an fte, so i stripped the gun, took the extractor out, changed cleaned it and changed the springs on the extractor, and started shooting again, and about 15 rounds later, again an fte, took everything apart again, nothing special to see, put it back together again, shot two rounds and after the second round again an fte, unloaded the gun, but now it wouldn't go into battery, i first thought that my slide cracked but after inspecting the slide this wasn't the case, but when i looked at the breechface, i saw that the extractor hook was turned 90 degrees, and when i looked at the slide from behind, everything looked normal, so i took the extractor out again but now it came out in two pieces.

also the firingpin stop is a little damaged, but that can be normal wear and tear.

has anybody else had this problem with his aftec??

the gun has about 25k of 9mm major rounds trough it, and never had any other problems with it.

post-25924-0-65395100-1356648991_thumb.j

Edited by bassochist

i live in the netherlands, so that would be a problem i pay more shipping costs, than the price of the extractor itself.

but i will try to contact them, does anyone know where te contact them, cause on google i only found company's wich sell them.

Edited by bassochist

I had my Limcat extractor bust in half yesterday and was looking at the aftec as a possible replacement. Not trying to hijack the thread but what are the opinions from those using the aftec?

Thanks, RT

nothing wrong with aftec, i'm now using it for years in my other guns.

my open gun is the last gun i bought 2 years ago, and only with this gun the aftec broke, that sometimes happens with race parts i think.

I probably have five or six in different guns with thousands of rounds through each. No problems with breakage or anything else. Just losing springs sometimes because they are so darn small. Maybe it has something to do with the fitting. The extractors body is very hard, so if they try to flex for any reason, that could cause them to break.

i will let my gunsmith check on the fitting (and he will fit the new one also), but as far as i could see there was nothing wrong with it, and it functioned flawlesly for 2 years and 25k of rounds.

but not only the aftec broke, the firing pin stop is also damaged, maybe i didn't mounted it back correctly after cleaning.

Could be something happened with the fp stop and it wedged the extractor causing it to flex, which broke it. Just a thought. When you install the new extractor, I would also fit an oversize firing pin stop (EGW or similar) so there's no chance of that moving around. Just extra insurance. Also, please be aware that the AFTEC extractor comes with specific instructions on how to properly fit the fp stop. Could be that wasn't done to start with.

Could be something happened with the fp stop and it wedged the extractor causing it to flex, which broke it. Just a thought. When you install the new extractor, I would also fit an oversize firing pin stop (EGW or similar) so there's no chance of that moving around. Just extra insurance. Also, please be aware that the AFTEC extractor comes with specific instructions on how to properly fit the fp stop. Could be that wasn't done to start with.

yes the fp stop was fitted correctly, and there will be a new one installed along with the new aftec.