Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Acp revolver load for USPSA major

skybell

625 PC, 4" barrel, 4.1 Clays, 230 Berry's plated, Federal primer, 1.250 oal. made 172PF at 2 state level matches. My 4" 625-8 needs 4.3 Clays to make 170. Your results may vary. Seems every gun is a bit different. Watch primers closely. All standard disclaimers apply.

Edited by buckaroo45

It's not very difficult. Any mid range 230 grain load will make major. I can't find my notes, but a long time ago I experimented with a bunch of different bullets, from 155 to 265 grains. Went with the 230 grain round nose since it was by far the fastest to reload. I'm currently using 4 grains of 700X just because I got a bunch of it for free.

Thanks for information, Alecmc do you use a 200RN bullet?

Sorry, forgot to mention- I'll edit that post.

I use a 230grain lead bayou bullet.

Can find my load data, I'll look around, but it made major during the summer

Edited by alecmc

For me, 200gr round nose bullets have less muzzle ris but slightly more rearward recoil than 230gr bullets. When I have a good, firm, high grip, the gun seems to shoot a little "flatter" with the 200gr. I use 4.8 gr. of American Select under 200gr Bear Creek round nose hollow base bullets in my 5" 625-8, although others use the same amount of WST. These average around 860 fps. Another choice is 5.8gr Accurate #2 under a 200gr plated round nose such as Berry's or Powerbond.

Some folks have used Berry's 185gr hollow base round nose over 5.4 gr WST in a 5" barrel 625.

The "softest" shooting load I've used is a Billy Bullets 230gr over 3.8 gr VV-N310.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been rocking out 4.1 to 4.3 grains of Clays and a 230gn cast LRN. Charge and OAL can vary depending on who casts it, but one thing I have learned is that "slickside" bullets work better than ones with a little lip -- some 230gn has a small shoulder between the body and the ogive of the bullet that gets annoying during reloads. Missouri makes a 225gn TC that also works really well, and the charges/recoil will be very similar. Another thing that can help in this regard is to use .45LC bullets, the ones that have a crimp groove. An assertive crimp can also help you stuff them in, no problem.

Edited by thermobollocks

ok the hodgdon site says max is 4.0 of clays on a LRN can you safely go over their supposed max. i cant find any info on clays and Bear creek bullets ( lead round nose ) in my sierra , hornady , lyman or the berger reloading book.

Do you work over the max slowly looking for pressure marks?

• 4 weeks later...