Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live at the Hollywood Bowl

benos

Haven't seen it in awhile... watched about four times this weekend - give or take. It's so ridiculously funny... The philosopher's football sketch and the "you were lucky" sketch are two of my all-time favorites. Maybe I'll just go put in again right now.

be

http://www.pythonline.com/

& for the latest goings on:

http://www.dailyllama.com/

Love Monty Python! Everyone in the crew has done good work on other projects too (save Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky - ick). Fawlty Towers was worth a view just to see what the hotel sign would say in the opening credits (Farty Towels, Flowery Tw*ts). Gilliam is currently working on Good Omens. Based on the novel by Neil Gaiman (Sandman comic book) and Terry Pratchett, the story is set during the apocalypse. The Anti-Christ is born on earth and is accidentally switched at birth. Two angels are tasked with finding the now 11 year old child and preventing the end of the earth. The book is funny and I'm eager to see what Gilliam does with it.

Is this the one that start off pretty early in the show with something like:

"What's the difference in American beer and making love in a canoe? Nothing! They're both ******* close to water!"

The whole time the members are throwing British beer out to the crowd. That one was funny.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know the Allo Allo?

be

Well, we're going to have to introduce you. :) I've never seen it anywhere beside PBS here in Spokane. To me, it's even funnier than Blackadder. It's set in a cafe in WWII occupied Paris. The constant running joke is about how they're protecting the priceless artwork: "The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies." It goes downhill from there...

Lots of language humor, which I find terribly funny.

Allo Allo is a hilarious british comedy about life in a little French town during WW2. The local PBS station used to run it after Monty Python years ago. One of the more memorable characters is a british agent pretending to be the policeman. He has an atrocious accent (walks up to people and says "good moaning" and suchlike) and I think gets introduced as "an expert on escaping, from England".. to which the response is "Are things really that bad there?"

"...and now for something completely different."
This phrase was used in local conversation (by the hip among us, of course) as much as the current "like, you know..." is being used. Only it had light years more substance. :lol:

Hmmm... sorry I missed AlloAllo..... never aired out here that I can ever recall. :(

On the other hand, Blackadder DID air here--thank god! B)

This phrase was used in local conversation (by the hip among us, of course)

That's so funny (and cool). I guess I'm going back aways (about 18 years) but in high school a bunch of us used to use quotes from MP in our daily conversations as well. Mostly from Holy Grail, but other stuff as well. The funniest part about it was that no one else 'got it' including the teachers. Ah, what a blast from the past. Thanks Siggy.... :D

Regards,

Todd

Wow. You guys really surprise me. I had no idea there were so many fans of Monty Python, Blackadder and 'Allo 'Allo here.

Other fantastic British comedies include "Yes Minister" (and "Yes Prime Minister"), "The New Statesman", "Men Behaving Badly" and of course "Fawlty Towers".