Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Luck at the chrono...

Ron Ankeny

So I finish loading up 400 rounds of match ammo for the Mile High and I notice a little powder spill in the tray catching the loaded rounds. Didn't give it much thought but I weighed each loaded round just in case I had a missed a charge. Ammo all weighs about the same.

Get to Denver and a match official shows up at my second stage and gets six rounds from each competitior and puts them in a baggie. Later that afternoon I show up at the chrono and they retrieve my ammo and I give them the gun. I am shooting 125 grainers in my Super so 1320 is required for 165 pf. The chrono guy gets a vice grip like hold on my blaster and torches one off over the chrono. The gun farts like a mouse and the spent shell barely rolls out of the ejection port. The round barely makes 1300 fps. WTF? The next round is 1350 and change and the third round is about the same. I make 166 PF with the blooper.

Is that lucky or what? Yeah, I know I would have made 175 with the remaining three rounds. But think about this. What's the chances that my gun would have barfed and jammed in the middle of stage if that one round would have stayed in the ammo bag?

Ha! I hit 165.2 at the area 5. I didnt intend to cut it that close. At home I usually chrono a little higher but since it was hot and humid I ran a little slower, lucky for me I squeaked by. My 3 shots were 712, 719, and 727 using MG 230 Gr 45s. I was puckered up tight after the first 2 and hated to think I would go home early for an unintentional mistake.

I must like pain.

I load my 124's to like 1420fps. Works the comp well and never a question on the chrono.

BTW I had a square deal that was out of tune and it started bouncing alot. I had two cases that must have spilled powder and it jammed on me during the stages. So did not get lucky on that one.

Ha! I hit 165.2 at the area 5. I didnt intend to cut it that close. At home I usually chrono a little higher but since it was hot and humid I ran a little slower, lucky for me I squeaked by. My 3 shots were 712, 719, and 727 using MG 230 Gr 45s. I was puckered up tight after the first 2 and hated to think I would go home early for an unintentional mistake.

They wouldn't send you home for that, you would just shoot minor. If you don't make minor, you shoot the match for no score, which brings me to this:

Summer Blast 2004, having a pretty decent match overall. Chrono was one of the last things we did, and I ended up with a 125.0. Pucker factor was extremely tight.

165.3 was the closest I have ever come at Area 3 this year. The really weird thing is that ammo with 0.2 LESS grains of powder chrono'd at 178 at the WI sectional a few weeks later. This was the first time I had ever run into a chrono at a state sectional, and I thought I was screwed for sure. I just don't get why I have had such a huge spread in PF's this year with my .45 ammo, under very simular weather conditions. :huh:

165.3 was the closest I have ever come at Area 3 this year. The really weird thing is that ammo with 0.2 LESS grains of powder chrono'd at 178 at the WI sectional a few weeks later. This was the first time I had ever run into a chrono at a state sectional, and I thought I was screwed for sure. I just don't get why I have had such a huge spread in PF's this year with my .45 ammo, under very simular weather conditions. :huh:

TriggerT,

Greg Lent was the chrono guy at A3. I can't think of anyone who has more experience at setting up and running a chrono than Greg. Maybe your "high" results over other chronos were because of poor chrono conditions? :D

Arnie

Greg Lent was the chrono guy at A3. I can't think of anyone who has more experience at setting up and running a chrono than Greg. Maybe your "high" results over other chronos were because of poor chrono conditions? :D

Arnie

Only thing I could think of was that at Area 3 the chrono was the very first thing we shot. Every other time I have checked my ammo, or had it checked at a match, I have already put some rounds through the gun that day. I have run my ammo over 3 different chrono's now, and everytime other than Area 3 it has been a PF of 170 or better.

Also, I was talking to a local GM, and he said that the load TGO is using for his .45 is the same one that I used at Area 3. That was 4.2 grains of Vit 310, with Winnchester primers, and a 230 CMJ bullet. In my mind that validated my load a little bit anyway.

Dunno, but I am not going to worry about it too much.