Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I enjoy the percision bolt gun matches, I was thinking something a littl closer to the traditional three gun stages that we all enjoy.

I think using a bolt rifle has the potential to be fun. If the focus was more on speed over precision accuracy then it could still be fast paced. I've seen bolt action rifles shot very fast. The old 60 second Lee-Enfield drill comes to mind.

The divisions could be similar to current 3 gun divisions with an Iron Sight and an optic division in .223 and possibly a Heavy division for .308 rifles.

It would not be unreasonable to have some relatively close paper targets, and then reactive or knock down steel in the 55+ yard range. Small enough to make them a little challenging, but large enough that it doesn't require going prone to shoot them- trying to keep the speed part of the game up. The Mini MGM Autoresetters, the Lollipop type targets come to mind. Targets around clay size. Seems like there are a ton of possibilities and stages could be designed around them.

I'd say score it just like time plus, something like 2moa targets and lots of positional shooting. I'd say you could run a couple different divisions, but for the most part a MOR is going to have a scope so I'd just run maybe a light and a heavy class.

I was thinking that it would be a single division kind of thing, center fire .223 or better, any optics, comps, cans, bipods, slings or bags. Time plus 2 MOA or better, targets out to 500 at most. Funky positions, of hand shots, run and gun with a bolt gun. Could even go three gun for the true hard core pump shotgun and revolver. This all sounds like fun, but how many people would actually play?

I know a few guys that would be into that type of rifle match for sure. It'd at least give me an excuse to get a .223 bolt gun:) Really the greatest match of all though would be a rifle/carbine/pistol/shotgun team match with 4 man teams. Carbine and rifle shooters work together to clear longer targets and shotgun/pistol shooters work together to clear short range stuff.

Team matches are fun, but even more so if the team members have to trade roles half way through.

Imagine a jungle run like the old ITRC Gully stage but with a bolt gun and a pistol, and half way up the hill you trade guns with your partner. Or the long range stage from the NW multi gun just ran with a bolt gun. I personally think that those would be a great deal of fun, but like I asked, how many people would show up to play? If there are only 3 or 4 of us it would be hard to justify the effort.

The things that I would not want to see would be the dot drill stage, or where every stage you just dropped prone and shot at long steel I feel that it takes movement and target variety to make the stages fun.

I think if you seperated it into tac-optics and a heavy metal division, you would probably see some military surplus rifles come out and shoot. It would be fun to shoot regular multigun stages with a Lee-Enfield, '03, Mauser, Mosin-Nagant, Schmidt-Rubin, etc. You could score it like one of the rifle matches that I attend scores Garands, one hit on paper. Kind of like the Larue WWII div, only with a manual rifle. Of course, if you start such a thing, how long will it be before someone shows up with an M1A that has disabled the gas system and made a straight pull bot action out of it (like the old bolt action conversions to M1 Carbines, I saw some of them years ago).

Hurley