Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9lb Glock recoil spring

BlueOvalBruin

I heard there was a 9lb recoil spring available for glocks, is that true? I haven’t had any luck with searches and it’s not on the ISMI website. I have a glock open gun and it still feels oversprung with the 11lb spring. Before I start clipping coils I was hoping there was a 9lb one I could try. My gun does not come close to being pulled out of battery with the 11lb so I think I might be able to pull off a 9.

Thanks.

IMO, Glock open guns are diff from S_Is in lock up and spring set up. Theres always the trigger pull in a Gk that works against the rec spring that can affects lock up, unlike a 2011/1911, So while the lightest spring can be ok in a 2011 to tame the dot, it may not be applicable in a Gk.

Have you tried a Wolff 10#?

FWIW. Tried using 9# CZ/P9 springs in a Glock but noticed that the spring will be fully compressed before the slide comes close to hitting the front frame guide area. Thought it would be a bad idea since the force of recoil would be generated directly to the guide rod head & slide lock area. Decided to go back to just using an 11# ISMI.

With the Glock firing system, you don't have nearly the freedom to (safely) experiment with recoil spring weights, compared to other guns esp. hammer-fired guns. Using an 11-pound spring (or less), your chance of firing out of battery is high. Every pull of the trigger is trying and maybe succeeding to open the slide by some fraction of an inch.

My opinion there is way too much coverage (on this forum & others) on the topic of what spring is 'too much' and 'causing' the gun to dip down below the line of sight. Most shooters esp. new shooters do not lock their support-side wrist or put 20+ pounds of force into the bottom of the triggerguard with the support fingers. If you try that it's likely you won't see a lot of dip with any gun any load any spring.

The tendency of a gun to rise and not return to line of sight, or rise and dip below, is heavily influenced by what gun & load you are dialed in to shooting. Shoot a pistol with a 22-lb spring for a while, then put in an 18-lb & most likely the gun (for a while) returns & stays above the line of sight. Put that gun away, don't shoot it for a couple weeks. Go shoot it with a 13-lb spring for a while. Then put in a 15-lb spring. Most likely it returns to the line of sight or 'dips' below it. It's the same gun, same shooter, same ammo. Only thing that changed was your body's reaction to the firing cycle.

I agree with everything you've said, I've been opting for the lighter springs though because my scores are consistently better. I don't think I have a grip pressure issue, I had a practice session with my single stack a little while ago and had marks on my weak hand from the grip checkering for a few days afterwards.

With my trigger steup, I've had no issues with the 11lb spring and having the slide fail to go into battery. And there seems to be a fair margin.

The dot dips more than I would like. On my SV open gun I run a 7lb variable for this very reason. I get a little more flip but no dip. On my glock the flip is pretty good but I get almost as much dip as flip.

Adjust your grip?

Have you tried the Matt Burkett Timing Drills?

http://www.doublealpha.biz/courses-tips/matts-tips/

Bobby Carver sell a #10 spring. You can find it on B&B Enterprize. I have tried a #10 recoil spring. It doesn't always put it back into battery. The lowest I would go is a #11 lb spring. Cutting off a recoil spring will do the same thing. there is not enough spring to put it back into battery. Hope this helps.

Craig

With a 10 lbs spring my G17 would not go back in to battery reliably, resulting in primers not going bang. I now use a 11 lbs ISMI captive spring and it works flawlessly, it actually feels a little heavier than 11 lbs, but not by much.

Anything more than a 2 lbs striker spring would also push it out of battery when pulling the trigger. The 2 lbs spring works perfectly with the 11 lbs recoil spring.

I much prefer the feel of a lighter recoil spring, but it is just not going to work on my Glock.

the danger of running too light of a recoil spring is that when you start the trigger press the trigger bar starts to push up the Firing pin safety up, and if there is not enough resistance from the recoil spring you will pull the slide out of battery.

the lowest I would go with is an 11lb, but I almost always run a 12Lb.