Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight picture confusion

BobS761

That is a proper sight picture and alignment.

If that gun were in a rock solid vice, and the bullet impacted a diffident spot...that would still be a proper sight picture, you would just have a point of impact that was different than your point of aim. For example, a Glock with the stock plastic white dot sights...they tend to hit about where the white dot is, and not on the top of the post.

However, all bets are off if you are having any issues pulling the trigger perfectly and/or are flinching. (Often seen as low-left hits for a right handed shooter.)

Tell us more about you situation.

It started off that while dryfiring, I noticed the white dot was distracting me. I already blackened the rear dots. I'm shooting an XDm .40 4.5 in production. Dad has same, son has XD tactical. I had no confidence in the sights, always about 4 to 5 inches left at 10 yards. I figured it was me, but I shoot Dad's 2-3 inches left, and the XD dead on. I drifted the rear, (a lot), and I'm dead on. If I had the right tools, I would like to drift front and rear.

But the sight picture issue came up during dryfire practice. I'm concentrating on grip, sight picture, and trigger squeeze. I would always catch the dot with my eye, then line up the sights. But, if my lighting was low, I noticed I would just get my sight picture, much quicker. Then I got confused if my sight picture was correct.

Admittedly, as I improve, the POI may start drifting right, but at this point, I don't think I have major trigger squeeze issues.

Thanks,

Bob

Ditch the dot Bob! Fiber optic front sights are all the rage right now, but I prefer a plain black post and notch (the advantage of good eyesight).

The sight picture for you is the one that you can repeat most consistently, be it like the one above, covering the target with a FO dot or even a sub six hold (alright, that last one is pretty much useless shooting IPSC targets at different distances).

If somebody is group off to one side or the other, I always suggest that they switch hands and see if the groups follow the switch. (yeah, it is harder to shoot groups using the off-hand as the main hand, but one should be able to tell if the groups go the other direction).

Try to notice...as you work the trigger in dry-fire...if you are pulling the trigger straight back into the frame of the gun, with no lateral pressure. It might even help to close the eyes and feel for it.

If it is just left and not low left, look at adjusting your strong hand grip if that helps to position the trigger finger to allow it to actuate the trigger straight back into the gun frame. (sometimes I speak airplane...this would be adjusting the yaw axis of the strong hand grip)

It started off that while dryfiring, I noticed the white dot was distracting me. I already blackened the rear dots. I'm shooting an XDm .40 4.5 in production. Dad has same, son has XD tactical. I had no confidence in the sights, always about 4 to 5 inches left at 10 yards. I figured it was me, but I shoot Dad's 2-3 inches left, and the XD dead on. I drifted the rear, (a lot), and I'm dead on. If I had the right tools, I would like to drift front and rear.

But the sight picture issue came up during dryfire practice. I'm concentrating on grip, sight picture, and trigger squeeze. I would always catch the dot with my eye, then line up the sights. But, if my lighting was low, I noticed I would just get my sight picture, much quicker. Then I got confused if my sight picture was correct.

Admittedly, as I improve, the POI may start drifting right, but at this point, I don't think I have major trigger squeeze issues.

Thanks,

Bob

Something that worked for me was during dryfire, put your finger on the trigger first then get your strong hand grip. The support hand then holds this relationship in place with most of the gripping force. Sometimes it's easy to get to much or not enough finger in the trigger guard and milk the grip. For a revolver I like to use the first finger joint, for an auto, the middle of the first pad. Build your grip around the trigger finger position and just hold what you have, not increasing or decreasing pressure. Pull the trigger with steady, even, non stopping pressure, while watching the sights. Find the angle that your strong hand needs to be in to keep the front sight centered when pulling the trigger. Remember this position as part of your "set".

When I started my shooting was so poor I couldn't properly sight my gun in. I bought and used a bore sight. If I wasn't getting hits or my groups were off I could better diagnose my grip or trigger control issues.

Not suggesting you're a poor shot, just relaying what helped me.

Edited by sroe3

I take mine to the range and sandbag the gun. Prep the trigger when shooting to the point that the gun startles you by going off. I found this gives the true poi for a given gun. Then at combat speed anything different has to be figured out. It also gets better with time.

One thing I noticed when I first started range testing and sighting in my Open gun was that it was dead on at more or less combat speed but when I sandbag it it would shoot slightly high. In my case I did not change anything as I figure it only matters where the gun shoots at speed. I guess I am technically doing something wrong at speed but it works for me so I don't mess with it.

We all shoot differently. When I was shooting a G34 I put Sevigney competition sights on it and it shot about 4-5 inches high at 25 yards. Which meant it always printed a little high at all distances. I knew it and I liked it. I rarely hit a low no shoot that could be buried by the front sight post. And I confess that was before I had much of a grasp on shot calling and it helped to clearly see the two holes out of the corner of my eye without looking around for them down low.